• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Amare for Smith rumors seem to be heating up according to ESPN!

JTB

Amare is NOT a better defender than Josh Smith. Josh Smith may gamble on a couple of plays a game. But there will be half a dozen more plays that teams will score at will against our frontline of Amare/Horford vs Smoove/Horford.

Are you replying to me because I did NOT say that Amare is a better defender. I said that he is a better POSITIONAL defender than Josh Smith is. Amare is better fundamentally in almost every area compared to Josh Smith and that's not a talent thing, it's a BBIQ and coaching thing.

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Golden State can still offer more. If your Phoenix you don't turn your back on them just because they don't include Randolph or Curry.

That depends on what you're looking for. We can offer them a potential superstar player and the best that Golden State can offer are some solid role players since they're not offering Curry (not that I think Curry can be a superstar anyway). I think most of the time you're better off trying to get the best player you can in return and nobody is going to offer a player better than Josh Smith.

The very next post by the same poster says this:

nvm he just called me back and said he was on the shaq negotiaiting team

The post you are wondering if it is true or not was making fun of the Phoenix fan who posted the original rumor. Still that was an amazing idea to just pull out of your hat to make fun of someone.

No actually it wasnt. The guy on the Hawks board reposted the op on the Suns boards post and then made fun of it with that Shaq post. Im not saying I believe it but that guy isnt the guy who originally posted it.

Are you replying to me because I did NOT say that Amare is a better defender. I said that he is a better POSITIONAL defender than Josh Smith is. Amare is better fundamentally in almost every area compared to Josh Smith and that's not a talent thing, it's a BBIQ and coaching thing.

Agree about the BBIQ. which raises the question, can you teach it?

Here is another espn one.

By Thursday Amare is a Hawk if he passes his physical. The trade is Amare + Lopez for Josh Smith, Josh Childress signed and traded with the offer he got from Phoenix last year, and the rights to David Anderson. Amare and the Hawks have come to an agreement on extension #'s. They have to wait till July 1st for Chills to be signed and for Josh Smith's byc to end. They cant give Amare the physical until July 1st. If he passes he is a Hawk.

That trade would be amazing for the Hawks!

Amare is at least equal to Josh Smith in positional defense but they're not close as far as being intimidating or in actually blocking shots, although Amare is no slouch. Amare is light years better as a jump shooter, won't hang out near the 3pt line, and he's a far more fundamental rebounder than Smith. With that being said I wouldn't be surprised to see Smith put up better numbers in Phoenix next year than Amare will in Atlanta if this trade goes through simply because of the talent on each team being so different. Smith can go there and be the man with lots of easy buckets from Nash while Amare will have to find a way to fit into our guard based offense, which hopefully Woody will change.

A couple of things. One, I think the Hawks need to carefully evaluate this trade if it is legitimately on the table. You are definitely right that Amare is a much better jump shooter than Josh Smith. Amare hit 44% of his two point jumpers compared to the 32% Josh hit on his two point jumpers. That's a marked difference and largely accounts for Amare's better offensive output overall. As inside scorers, they put up the same amount of points per game and are essentially the same in field goal percentage. Josh really hurts himself with the three point jumpers though, and in comparison, Amare took so few three point shots that it counted as 0% of his field goal attempts.

Two, by making this deal, you are essentially trading defense for offense. How would Amare fit into the offense in Atlanta? I think he would probably fit in well, because along with being a guard oriented offense, this is also a perimeter oriented offense. Even with Josh, he got the opportunity to shoot a good bit of two point jump shots even though he didn't have plays run for him.

The issue I have with trading Josh is whether they are trading him before someone can reel his game in. With his defensive ability, I think Josh's career will take off once he realizes that offensively, he's an inside player and an open court player.

Also, I'm concerned about Amare's health. Not only does he currently have an eye problem, but he has also had microfracture surgery to his knee.

if we did this i would be sooooo pissed.

Why this is a great trade for the Hawks if true.

We get an all-star big man that is incredibly efficient and unstoppable offensively when he has his jumper going (Which is usually). And we get an athletic backup in PF/C Robin Lopez that we need that can get rebounds and block shots like we need him to. All this for basically Josh Smith (Chill and Andersen didn't play last year)

Edited by GameTime

Why this is a great trade for the Hawks if true.

We get an all-star big man that is incredibly efficient and unstoppable offensively when he has his jumper going (Which is usually). And we get an athletic backup in PF/C Robin Lopez that we need that can get rebounds and block shots like we need him to. All this for basically Josh Smith (Chill and Andersen didn't play last year)

But he has the bad eye problem. Who knows if he will ever even play again effectively?

I'm going to have to say that you are ABSOLUTELY incorrect here. Amare is a terrible, terrible man defender. His positioning is honestly one of the worst for an interior player in the NBA. I don't think you've watched Amare play that much defense if you're making this statement.

His fundamentals are just bad, as is his effort. He plays the majority of his defense with his hands down and consistently lets people get open layups. A simple move by a big man and he's beat. He is always one of the best big men in terms of not fouling out and that is why. He just lets them go rather than playing physical.

Perhaps it was just D'antoni's system and his lack of preaching and teaching of defense but Amare has not shown any ability to be a good positional defender or given enough effort to think he would start now. It's sad because he has the ability to be a good defender, but he's not.

EDIT: But, just for the record I would do the trade.

Edited by AtLaS

Only reason I like this trade beyond the obvious? That Sund was masterful enough to get us a cheap 7footer with a high motor that fits our style. This allows us to save money in FAcy that we would have spent on Zaza to find cheaper depth, make a competitive offer to a vet PG and maybe even resign Marvin. I don't know, I may be wrong I'd have to look at the numbers or someone else who has could just confirm it for me.

Oh and guys......are we overlooking the fact that they said Chills might be stateside come next season?

Oh and guys again.....If all this is true, we all owe Stephen A. an apology............ :temperature:

If that goes down then Marvin could be back, he was getting presumed 9+ mil offers. We could sign him back if we get Lopez.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

I'm going to have to say that you are ABSOLUTELY incorrect here. Amare is a terrible, terrible man defender. His positioning is honestly one of the worst for an interior player in the NBA. I don't think you've watched Amare play that much defense if you're making this statement.

His fundamentals are just bad, as is his effort. He plays the majority of his defense with his hands down and consistently lets people get open layups. A simple move by a big man and he's beat. He is always one of the best big men in terms of not fouling out and that is why. He just lets them go rather than playing physical.

Perhaps it was just D'antoni's system and his lack of preaching and teaching of defense but Amare has not shown any ability to be a good positional defender or given enough effort to think he would start now. It's sad because he has the ability to be a good defender, but he's not.

Agreed....hold on I'm getting sick just thinking of this...... But if Woody can get Jamal Crawful and Amar'e Stoudamire not to mention our rookie PG who wasn't known for defense in college......*burp*.......To buy into even being average to slightly above average defenders...........................................................................................

Then Woody deserves a 5 year extension. :comp_virus:

• Premium Member
Amare is a terrible, terrible man defender. His positioning is honestly one of the worst for an interior player in the NBA.

Co-sign. As much as I think Smith's man defense is overrated on this board, I think Amare is far worse.