• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

5/90 million for JJ no way in hell.

Wurider05

• Premium Member
I hear alot of talk about JJ's extension being for 80 or 90 million for 5 years. There is no way in hell that he is worth that contract. No way in hell that he is worth 16-18 per. What he is making right now is exactly what he needs to be making. The league is full of pieces and a very handful of guys you build around. JJ is a piece. He has only had about 2 or 3 playoff good games since he has been here and is averaging what 15 ppg in the playoffs. He wants superstar money but he doesn't produce like a superstar. We need to pay him like he plays.

The salary caps is supposed to fall to 52.5 - 50 Million next year. I think with that being the case, JJ can be extended at 80 Million over 5.

The salary caps is supposed to fall to 52.5 - 50 Million next year. I think with that being the case, JJ can be extended at 80 Million over 5.

actually, 57.7 million i believe. 80/5 shouldn't be too bad. that's averaging 16/year, and he's making 15 million this year. didn't he make (maybe due to a signing bonus) close to 16 million his first year here, then it went down the second year, and slowly come back up?

i don't know if 1 million more a year will be enough for him. maybe 68/4 or 85/5 (17/year)?

17/year sounds like a lot, but dude has been our only all star for the past few years. there are currently 24 other guys making more money than he is now, including kenyon martin, zach randolph, vince carter, ak-47, michael redd, rashard lewis, ray allen, jermaine o'neal, all the way up to the highest paid player, tracy mcgrady @ over $23.2 million. you think he is worth less than all of those players? 17 million would rank as the eleventh highest salary currently. i think he deserves that much.

I hear alot of talk about JJ's extension being for 80 or 90 million for 5 years. There is no way in hell that he is worth that contract. No way in hell that he is worth 16-18 per. What he is making right now is exactly what he needs to be making. The league is full of pieces and a very handful of guys you build around. JJ is a piece. He has only had about 2 or 3 playoff good games since he has been here and is averaging what 15 ppg in the playoffs. He wants superstar money but he doesn't produce like a superstar. We need to pay him like he plays.

Link to this "talk of and extension ?"

JJ is a 3 time allstar who lead entire NBA in minutes per game last year. Dude, was wore down in the playoffs and played on a sprained ankle. He is class act. I love how he was talking to Crawford right after we got him and was the only Hawk to me Teague at his press conference.

This franchise needs JJ.

BTW, he made $15 mill last year.........so a contract starting him out at $16 mill sounds about right.

Edited by coachx

He would be 35 in year 6.

No thanks.

We could include team/player options not to mention only partially gurantee that last year. I can think of Carter's, Rashard and Dampier as a couple high paid guys with only a partially guranteed last year of the contract. It looks good for the player signing 6 years but it leaves the team some flexibility to maybe even trade or buy out the contract later as a partially guranteed expiring.

We could include team/player options not to mention only partially gurantee that last year. I can think of Carter's, Rashard and Dampier as a couple high paid guys with only a partially guranteed last year of the contract. It looks good for the player signing 6 years but it leaves the team some flexibility to maybe even trade or buy out the contract later as a partially guranteed expiring.

Why have that extra expense ?

I doubt any other teams offer him 6 years.

• Premium Member

Here's the rub.

He is worth what the 2010 MARKET dictates he's worth, regardless of the current or any previous markets. It only takes one other team to say, "Yeah, we'll pay him that if the Hawks won't," and then you're in a situation of trying to find his replacement... which, ostensibly, could very well be a $9 million player who you have to give $11 mil just to get Plan B done.

The opposite could also occur, especially in light of the new cap numbers and predictions for next off-seaons, such that he's actually worth more in this market than he will be then (... as has already been said, I'm sure, but I'm just not in a position at the moment to read this entire thread to know so).

Why have that extra expense ?

I doubt any other teams offer him 6 years.

No other team can offer him that regardless without his bird rights. Considering he is a UFA that extra year of security along with the bigger raises are what may seperate our offer from other suitors.

Some of you guys are really fooling yourselves, if you believe that JJ is going to be signed at or below what he is currently making. Didn't we overpay to bring JJ to Atlanta? So why don't you think that someone else won't overpay for him to go somewhere else?

The entire offensive system is built around JJ's skills. You lose JJ, and Jamal Crawford becomes the Hawks new "go-to guy", because he's the only other player on the team that can get a shot anytime he wants.

We lose JJ and the only way to even begin what he gave us, is to trade someone for him. We're damn sure aren't going to have any cap room in 2010.

JJ is the 2nd best 2-guard in the East . . and top 5 overall. League wide, he's a top 25 player. And those guys make top dollar in this league.

There is no one on the Hawks that currently has the potential to be better than JJ. And retaining him probably insures that the Hawks will be a playoff level team for a long time.

Unless he gets hurt and misses significant time, a 5/80 deal is the minimum that he's going to be offered. The guy is just too versatile to receive less. He's not a one or two-dimensional player, like most guys in this league.

I agree. The Hawks should give Joe Johnson what he wants to ensure they keep him. Hawks fans have an overwhelming case of the "grass is greener on the other side" syndrome. Joe is one of the top shooting guards in the game of basketball, and he is by far the most irreplaceable player on this basketball team. Hopefully, Jamal Crawford will help ease the amount of minutes Joe plays, but Joe's role in the offense should not be diminished and the Hawks should plan on continuing to build around him in the future.

How are some of yall going to let JJ walk? He has been our best player since he has gotten to ATL. You cant judge what he has done for our team from last years playoffs. I will give him 5/90 easy.

I get what you guys are saying about the 2010 cap and all, but I think the TC is basically saying that JJ shouldn't be "THE GUY" that we build around because if we do, we will be what we are right now. JJ is good enough to be a piece that we use to build with (support roll), and not a piece that we build around (THE MAN).

With that said, he will be to expensive to play a support role so our best bet is to cut ties with JJ when that time comes and hope we find a diamond somewhere down the road (like Indy did with Granger who I like way better than JJ). Basically, JJ will handicap this team if we give him what he thinks he deserves because we all know that a JJ led team is not capable of winning a ring, and thats what its all about.

If we don't spend the money on JJ who will we spend it on?

Letting Joe go would be foolish - whatever the market sets his price at you have to pay it without any reservations.

Um... No. In 2010 you have many options.

LeBron James

Dwyane Wade

Chris Bosh

Kobe Bryant

Dirk Nowitzki

Yao Ming

Paul Pierce

Ray Allen

Tracy McGrady

Michael Redd

Manu Ginobli

Steve Nash

Amare Stoudemire

Carlos Boozer

If it was any year to let someone go and try hard and get someone else next year would be the year.

Um... No. In 2010 you have many options.

LeBron James

Dwyane Wade

Chris Bosh

Kobe Bryant

Dirk Nowitzki

Yao Ming

Paul Pierce

Ray Allen

Tracy McGrady

Michael Redd

Manu Ginobli

Steve Nash

Amare Stoudemire

Carlos Boozer

If it was any year to let someone go and try hard and get someone else next year would be the year.

those are all great players, but i would prefer signing jj to a 4-6 year deal to over more than half of those guys listed (due to age, impact, and/or health). i would prefer jj to pp, too, but wouldn't be extremely upset with pp so long as we didn't break the bank on him and could still provide a good cast around him. honestly, i would even question a 5 year deal on kobe. dudes been in the league for a while now, he won't be as good on the hawks as he has been with the lakers. i'd def give more $$ to dwade and 'bron, but prolly not much more to bosh (unless he bulks up a little and bangs more) or amare (also needs to bang a little more and have a healthy season first). so, really, despite all those players listed, i would still count jj among the top 3-5, and i think we would have more of a chance signing him than anyone else, and wade and bron are definately not coming to atl. period.