• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin's new contract is a good deal for hawks

D.R.P.

the best part is the incentives....one complaint many of us have had about marvin is his lack of aggressiveness....this only gives another reason for him to step forward...great job Sund and thank you Marvin for making it painless....this is awesome....

• Premium Member

Why not?

He said he didn't want Marvin to make 8 mil per year.Marvin is making less than that.

We have a reader right here.

Let me make it plain and simple. This can only go a few ways.

1. Either Marvin steps up and he's a great bargain.
  2. Marvin doesn't step up and his contract is not bad so we can move him.
  3. Marvins back goes out (as some poor HSer has said) and we are left with him sucking up money.

My argument was against Marvin getting 8 or over. I think that with a drop in the cap coming, there's terroritory that Marvin would just not be worth to another team in trade. I say 8 million is that threshold. What I like about his current deal is that Sund didn't back down. Sund got the number that he wanted (which speaks of a plan) and he said to Marvin if you want more, earn it. I love incentive based raises. The guy in N.O. who signed Ricky Williams is my hero!!! I wish we could have started at 6.0 and had incentives up to 9 Million per for Marvin.

Does this mean I won't complain about Marvin's play? No. Come on man. IF Marvin is stinking up the Joint, you best believe i will say something. But what it does mean is that I approve the way that the Hawks handled the situation. Sund has really been impressive this offseason. Now.. sign JJ, and get us a big.

• Premium Member

Does this mean I won't complain about Marvin's play? No. Come on man. IF Marvin is stinking up the Joint, you best believe i will say something.

I wonder why every other player on this team gets a pass when they stink up the joint?

I wonder why every other player on this team gets a pass when they stink up the joint?

Tough love maybe? Diesel secretly likes Marvin more than any other on the team and it pains him when Marvin doesn't live up to his potential (in Diesel's eyes).

• Premium Member

Tough love maybe? Diesel secretly likes Marvin more than any other on the team and it pains him when Marvin doesn't live up to his potential (in Diesel's eyes).

He must hate Smoove because when Smoove was averaging 2-3 rebounds a game last April, Diesel blamed Horford!

Let me say...

I like the deal Marvin got. Sund is doing a hellavu job!!! Now, if he can just get JJ.

princecrazy.gif

:whistling:

Gotta agree with Diesel. (See, I told you Diesel is a true Hawk fan)

Good deal! We keep a starter. The price is right. Good job by both sides.

And, we still have a little $$$ left for that elusive big we desire AND hope that

we have that 12th bench man coming from the invite of Garrett S.

:biggrin:

There's really not alot to debate about this contract.

I will add 1 thing. Someone will lose in this deal. The Hawks will lose if Marvin has chronic back problems - and he has no history of that.

Marvin will lose if he continues to improve year over year like he has been and he's making 8 a year. He'll be a stud at that price over the next 5 years.

You know something though.......... I can't get over one thing. Marvin wanted to be here. Marvin couldn't imagine playing somewhere else.

That's my boy. I'm Marvin William's new biggest fan. Marvin Williams is our Atlanta Hawk

Edited by gsuteke

The incentives make this a helluva deal!!!! I'm loving the way Sund is handling business so far, like everyone else has said lets get that big and we'll be ok!

• Premium Member

Let me say...

I like the deal Marvin got. Sund is doing a hellavu job!!! Now, if he can just get JJ.

yeah..he did good.

Guest Walter

I agree. Love him or hate him, it's a deal that makes him movable in the future if need be.

It protected an asset, and that's what being an NBA GM is all about.

Yes.

I believe the same IMO personality short-comings that to me make MW less likely to measure up to his potential or take on a leading role helped get MW to sign for less money than he MIGHT have gotten elsewhere. He wanted to be a part of this TEAM. There is a positive side to his personality for the Hawks' franchise.

W