• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin's new contract is a good deal for hawks

D.R.P.

Williams expected to sign deal soon

By Sekou Smith

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

3:15 p.m. Thursday, August 6, 2009

Hawks forward Marvin Williams assumed the paparazzi was just for Hollywood types.

That is until the NBA version found its way to his doorstep this summer.

There were at least two premature reports about the restricted free agent forward agreeing to and signing a new deal with the Hawks.

"It was crazy to look on the Internet and see stuff about me signing with the Hawks or that I was staying with the Hawks," Williams said Thursday. "Yet there was never anyone quoted. It was always some anonymous person saying it was done or saying it was going to happen.

"The truth of the matter is, I still haven't signed, yet."

That's a technicality Williams expects to take care of this afternoon now that he's agreed to a five-year, $37.5 million contract with the Hawks, a deal that with incentives could be worth as much as $43 million. The official announcement is expected early next week.

There are no plans for a re-introduction ceremony like the one teammates and fellow free agents Mike Bibby and Zaza Pachulia attended last month, when they signed their new contracts.

But Williams said he couldn't be happier to be free of the summer's free agent frenzy.

"I knew from past years with Josh [smith] and Josh [Childress] that this process could take some time," Williams said. "But I was patient. I tried to be patient. And thankfully, things worked out."

Williams said the sides were never as far apart as reported and that talks actually "got better" as the summer went on. As a restricted free agent, Williams could have accepted the Hawks' qualifying offer of $7.5 million and become an unrestricted free agent in July 2010.

Williams, selected by the Hawks with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2005 NBA draft, said he just never could envision playing somewhere else. Not with seven of the top eight players returning from a team that won 47 games, finished fourth in the Eastern Conference and advanced to the second round of the playoffs for the first time in a decade.

Williams averaged 13.9 points and 6.3 rebounds, but missed the last month and a half of the regular season with a back injury. He did return for the playoffs.

"We've all grown together," Williams said. "The one thing you hardly ever see in professional sports is that loyalty and teams staying together. When you do see it, like in San Antonio or Detroit when they kept their core guys together, you see championships.

"I think that's everybody's goal here. We've all started off together young in this league and if we get a chance to grow old together, I think we can do some pretty special things."

• Premium Member

By Sekou Smith

Hawks forward Marvin Williams assumed the paparazzi was just for Hollywood types.

There were at least two premature reports about the restricted free agent forward agreeing to and signing a new deal with the Hawks.

"It was crazy to look on the Internet and see stuff about me signing with the Hawks or that I was staying with the Hawks," Williams said Thursday. "Yet there was never anyone quoted. It was always some anonymous person saying it was done or saying it was going to happen.

That's a technicality Williams expects to take care of this afternoon now that he's agreed to a five-year, $37.5 million contract with the Hawks, a deal that with incentives could be worth as much as $43 million. The official announcement is expected early next week.

There are no plans for a re-introduction ceremony like the one teammates and fellow free agents Mike Bibby and Zaza Pachulia attended last month, when they signed their new contracts.

But Williams said he couldn't be happier to be free of the summer's free agent frenzy.

"I knew from past years with Josh [smith] and Josh [Childress] that this process could take some time," Williams said. "But I was patient. I tried to be patient. And thankfully, things worked out."

Williams said the sides were never as far apart as reported and that talks actually "got better" as the summer went on. As a restricted free agent, Williams could have accepted the Hawks' qualifying offer of $7.5 million and become an unrestricted free agent in July 2010.

Williams, selected by the Hawks with the No. 2 overall pick in the 2005 NBA draft, said he just never could envision playing somewhere else. Not with seven of the top eight players returning from a team that won 47 games, finished fourth in the Eastern Conference and advanced to the second round of the playoffs for the first time in a decade.

Williams averaged 13.9 points and 6.3 rebounds, but missed the last month and a half of the regular season with a back injury. He did return for the playoffs.

"We've all grown together," Williams said. "The one thing you hardly ever see in professional sports is that loyalty and teams staying together. When you do see it, like in San Antonio or Detroit when they kept their core guys together, you see championships.

"I think that's everybody's goal here. We've all started off together young in this league and if we get a chance to grow old together, I think we can do some pretty special things."

Let me say...

I like the deal Marvin got. Sund is doing a hellavu job!!! Now, if he can just get JJ.

I think Williams is a valuable part of the Hawks team who will only get better so I think the contract was good for both parties. Now, hopefully, the Hawks can work on extending Joe Johnson's contract and signing Garrett Siler and/or Joe Smith (hopefully, Both!)!

By Sekou Smith

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!In your face DEISIEL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....................now lets take care of that big man situation we have and lets sign joe smith and hope siler makes the team!!!!

Let me say...

I like the deal Marvin got. Sund is doing a hellavu job!!! Now, if he can just get JJ.

Way to go Diesel !

I think all members of hawksquawk are especially proud of you !

Edited by coachx

Let me say...

what!!!! u arent upset?????..............thats quite a surprise!!! I expected to see one of your "hating on marvin threads about this". LOL

• Premium Member

Let me say...

This is a great deal! I'm am so proud of this franchise and the way they have resigned players at their fair market value. Good Job Sund. Maybe Childress will wake up some day and understand that the days of over paying for players to play in Atlanta are over!

• Premium Member

Let me say...

I agree. Love him or hate him, it's a deal that makes him movable in the future if need be.

It protected an asset, and that's what being an NBA GM is all about.

Edited by mrhonline

Well done Rick Sund! I am freaking thrilled out of my mind that we locked Marvin up for such a good price and as mentioned above now if we can just get JJ signed ... and that elusive 4th big I would be more excited about and proud of the Hawks than I have ever been.

what!!!! u arent upset?????..............thats quite a surprise!!! I expected to see one of your "hating on marvin threads about this". LOL

This is a common misconception on Hawksquawk. Diesel doesn't want Marvin got at all costs and he's said all along that he'd be happy to see him re-signed as long as it was a good deal and apparently Diesel sees this as the great deal that it is.

• Premium Member

This is a common misconception on Hawksquawk. Diesel doesn't want Marvin got at all costs and he's said all along that he'd be happy to see him re-signed as long as it was a good deal and apparently Diesel sees this as the great deal that it is.

Agreed.

• Premium Member

Surprised?

Why surprised?

Kind of why Rush Limbaugh wasn't all that unhappy to see Obama elected president... it just ensures that he'll have still more material for future broadcast to the masses... right, Dies? :)

Let me say...

At what point do you kick Marty Janetty through the Barbershop window? Not buying this angle.