• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks waiting on Williams to finally make his move

Admin

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/shaun_powell/10/23/marvin.williams/index.html

Hawks waiting on Williams to finally make his move

Posted Oct 23 2009 10:20AM

Hindsight is always 20-20. Or, in the case of the Atlanta Hawks, 19-10.

Those are Chris Paul's career averages in scoring and assists. If you haven't noticed, he's not doing that in Atlanta, where he could be playing instead of New Orleans. The Hawks blew a chance to grab a superstar like Paul and fill a need back in the 2005 Draft not once, but twice. They passed on Deron Williams, too, a future All-Star snapped up by Utah. That's two big-time point guards who got away, and the Hawks paid for it both in fan backlash and won-loss record.

That kind of mistake can set a franchise back for years, and the Hawks compounded it with another, drafting Shelden Williams instead of Brandon Roy the next year. Roy became Rookie of the Year. As for Shelden Williams, his best move was the one he made toward Candace Parker.

These back-to-back Draft disasters normally would cripple most teams, or at least keep them in lotteries for years to come. Not only are Paul, Deron Williams and Roy tremendous talents, they're also fun to watch, the kind fans pay to see. For a team that historically found it hard to fill the arena and win big games in the summer, the Hawks, you'd assume, were indeed dealt a double-barreled blow.

And yet ... the Hawks are projected to draw good crowds this season. They could be headed for 50 wins. What happened to the train wreck?

Well, the controversial sign-and-trade with Phoenix for Joe Johnson went well, for starters. Josh Smith grew up. Al Horford fell into the Hawks' lap. Mike Bibby, after burning up minutes all those years in Sacramento, saved some gas for the Hawks, who gave up Shelden Williams to pry him from the Kings. Things sort of worked out.

And so has Marvin Williams, the player at the root of this weird, strange journey.

The Hawks are not being pounded on the court, or in the court of public opinion, partly because Marvin Williams, the player taken ahead of Chris Paul and Deron Williams, isn't a bust. Well, true, he hasn't lived up to those ridiculously high projections that NBA scouts placed upon him based entirely on a one-and-done career at North Carolina. Where he didn't start. Or play more than 22 minutes a game. Or average more than a dozen points. Or make any All-America teams.

Williams is a 6-foot-9 small forward, not a 7-foot center or a quick, pass-first point guard, two positions that carry far more weight and importance. His type come a dime a dozen, but scouts didn't apply such logic in the days leading up to the draft. All the pre-Draft hype forced Williams to turn pro quickly and cash in while he could. Almost any player would. There was virtually no chance of him staying in school an extra year to improve his draft position because the Hawks grabbed him at No. 2, after Milwaukee took 7-footer Andrew Bogut.

Billy Knight, the Hawks' general manager at the time, obviously reached. Even though the Hawks were stocked at forward, and thin at guard, Knight thought Paul was too small. Whoops.

Fast-forward four years. The point guard spot is in stable hands with Bibby, clearly on the downside and a defensive risk but definitely a safe bet. The future at point might belong to rookie Jeff Teague, who has looked splendid in the preseason. As for Williams, he's a decent pro with a major role on an up-and-coming team. He isn't a star, not now, maybe not ever, although at age 23 time is still on his side. Last year, before injuries hit, he didn't show much improvement from the year before, or drop any hints that he'll ever be a big scorer at a position that demands it. Only once did he get 30 or more points, although with Joe Johnson around, Williams was and is a secondary option.

And that's why this season is important. Johnson becomes an unrestricted free agent next summer and the betting money says he'll be teammates with LeBron James or Dwyane Wade next season. If so, the Hawks will look to replace his points from within.

They gave Williams a five-year extension worth $40 million this July. But whether Williams will ever give them a new dimension is still a question.

"I'm just trying to keep doing what I'm doing," he said. "I'm not trying to do too much."

And there's the issue. Mild-mannered by nature, Williams has found a comfort zone as a supporting player. Not an aggressive scorer, or someone who craves stardom, or willing to wrestle the mantel from Johnson if this is indeed Johnson's final season in Atlanta.

"He's a great team player, but at some point in time you'd like him to take over games, and I've talked to him about that," said Rick Sund, the Hawks' general manager.

The Hawks aren't going anywhere unless someone steps forward and takes the big shots. That's what will separate them from Boston, Cleveland and Orlando. Is Joe Johnson that guy? Maybe. Anyone else?

It's not Marvin Williams' fault that scouts slobbered all over him at age 19, that the Hawks took him second overall, that the players who directly followed him in the Draft became superstars. Anyway, he's turned out OK.

Still, the Hawks need more than that. The star the Hawks desperately need is running the show in New Orleans. And in Utah.

And Marvin Williams, four years later, is simply running in place.

Shaun Powell is a veteran NBA writer and columnist. You can e-mail him here.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Yawn. Three years late to the parade, and obviously didn't watch any Hawks games before Marvin got hurt and probably hasn't looked at anything but Marvin's stat sheet if he thinks that he "didn't show much improvement from the year before" last season.

Edited by niremetal

This just makes me realize how fortunate the Falcons were to get Dimitroff, you know, someone who knew what the heck he was doing when drafting players.

Marvin will never, ever live up to his draft position, but he can continue to be a consistent cog for us and maybe even break out this year. He surely has improved his overall game the past couple years.

I guess Marv hasnt improved every single year since he has been here. These are the same people who if the Hawks won the nba championship this year would say well they could have won it with Chris Paul ......

Truth told, Neither CP3 or Deron have not neccesarily propelled their teams.

What have they won? Deron has injury issues and CP3 has won one more playoff game than Marvin.

CP is carrying his team while Marvin is a 4th or 5th option. The Hawks would still make the playoffs this year without Marvin Williams. The Hornets would be in the loto without CP3. Marvin hasn't lead this team to 1 playoff when. He has helped the team win as as the 3rd-5th best player.

Edited by Hotlanta1981

CP is carrying his team while Marvin is a 4th or 5th option. The Hawks would still make the playoffs this year without Marvin Williams. The Hornets would be in the loto without CP3. Marvin hasn't lead this team to 1 playoff when. He has helped the team win as as the 3rd-5th best player.

I keep reading this over and over, and I don't know how many of us come to this conclusion? The only clear, undebateable fact is Joe Johnson is our number one option on offense, After that, it's anyone on the floor as a second option, and that's it. (Flip the disclaimer here, because he was the option on the floor because of his one-on one skills). How can anyone justify Bibby,Smoove, Horford as a second, third, or fourth option? Or Marvin as a fifth option? Bibby gets open jumpers because JJ is doubled - same with Smoove - to our dismay. Horford gets no sets run his way. Marvin very well could be the second option on offense if we HAD an offense.

• Premium Member

I keep reading this over and over, and I don't know how many of us come to this conclusion? The only clear, undebateable fact is Joe Johnson is our number one option on offense, After that, it's anyone on the floor as a second option, and that's it. (Flip the disclaimer here, because he was the option on the floor because of his one-on one skills). How can anyone justify Bibby,Smoove, Horford as a second, third, or fourth option? Or Marvin as a fifth option? Bibby gets open jumpers because JJ is doubled - same with Smoove - to our dismay. Horford gets no sets run his way. Marvin very well could be the second option on offense if we HAD an offense.

Co-sign.

The fact is that Marvin only averages 14PPG 5RPG while Paul is a near 20/10 player. If the Hornets win it's mainly because of CP3... If the Hawks win, it's partly due to Marvin at best.

• Premium Member

I have a feeling that even Diesel won't be too impressed with this article. Nire is 105% correct - it's too late for articles like these.

So are you saying that this is not a big year for Marvin to come along?

For Hawks fans, there's still no expectation placed on Marvin. That's my problem. Marvin can sit back and do nothing... Again, he says:

"I'm not trying to change or improve anything."

and the Hawks fans don't care...

:help wanted3:

• Premium Member

Truth told, Neither CP3 or Deron have not neccesarily propelled their teams.

What have they won? Deron has injury issues and CP3 has won one more playoff game than Marvin.

Boo and Hiss.

You don't have to downplay Deron and Paul... They are future hall of famers. If you want to defend Marvin, an attack on Paul and Deron is not doing it.

• Premium Member

I guess Marv hasnt improved every single year since he has been here. These are the same people who if the Hawks won the nba championship this year would say well they could have won it with Chris Paul ......

Actually, he hasn't. His 3rd year, was worst than his 2nd year.. but his 4th year (contract year) better than his 3rd. IN all actuality, for all of you who claim that Marvin has improved every year, you're not looking at the meaningful stats. He's still scoring, rebounding, and assisting around the same as he was during his 2nd year.

Actually, he hasn't. His 3rd year, was worst than his 2nd year.. but his 4th year (contract year) better than his 3rd. IN all actuality, for all of you who claim that Marvin has improved every year, you're not looking at the meaningful stats. He's still scoring, rebounding, and assisting around the same as he was during his 2nd year.

Well sadly we can't trade him (who would want him?) and we can't shoot him (illegal and not fair to him). So enjoy your new Speedy Claxton boys and girls...at least he suits up I suppose....makes an occasional open jumper or two.

Here's what pisses me off - one foul!...in a game we needed toughness inside

Marvin Williams, SF 25 3-7 1-1 2-2 2 3 5 0 0 1 1 1 -21 9

all but two of the points were in extended garbage time.

I remember coaching my son in baseball...he was a good hitter...I told him "Don't worry about homeruns son....hit the ball HARD somewhere" ...put the pressure on their defense. As an 11 year old he only batted 365 that year - but was second behind our all-star 12 year old (who was eventually drafted by the Braves) in RBIs. My favorite part was that he had the fewest walks on the team...."git in there to hit boy"

Marvin needs some of that.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

Marvin Williams, SF 25 3-7 1-1 2-2 2 3 5 0 0 1 1 1 -21 9

all but two of the points were in extended garbage time.

You must have been waiting for Marvin to have a bad game because I don't remember you posting after the previous 6 pre-season games. But anyway, why not post Joe's numbers or even Teagues's numbers? I know why because you are a Marvin hater! You have officially declared thanks.

The Hawks aren't going anywhere unless someone steps forward and takes the big shots. That's what will separate them from Boston, Cleveland and Orlando. Is Joe Johnson that guy? Maybe. Anyone else?

It's not Marvin Williams' fault that scouts slobbered all over him at age 19, that the Hawks took him second overall, that the players who directly followed him in the Draft became superstars. Anyway, he's turned out OK.

Still, the Hawks need more than that. The star the Hawks desperately need is running the show in New Orleans. And in Utah.

This guy must have just started following the NBA. He thinks this is a news flash; Paul and Deron are all-stars, Marvins not but we would like him to be. :write a letter: