• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Teague needs more minutes

hawkster911

During the Lakers 4th Quarter, Laker announcers were highly impressed by our rookie PG. It is evident that Teague is fearless going to the basket let alone shooting 3pointers. Teague needs to be playing 25minutes a game.

Bibby has way too much mileage in his legs and in order for us to sustain a healthy ball club during the playoffs, Teague needs to transition himself early on in the season. Teague is trying to find chemistry with the second unit, but his chances are limited with Woodson always pulling him out. The kid can flat out play, just let him play!

• Premium Member

I'm just glad he's gotten on the court. Hopefully with a little experience his PT will go up.

There's no reason to think his playing won't go up as the season goes on. Woody's been high on Teague since we drafted him and it's becoming increasingly obvious that he will be the starting PG at some point in time. But for now, there's no reason to rush things and throw the young man in the fire as we have depth this season. I think Woody is handling Teague just fine, as of right now. But I can see Teague getting significant minutes by the All Star break.

• Premium Member

During the Lakers 4th Quarter, Laker announcers were highly impressed by our rookie PG. It is evident that Teague is fearless going to the basket let alone shooting 3pointers. Teague needs to be playing 25minutes a game.

Bibby has way too much mileage in his legs and in order for us to sustain a healthy ball club during the playoffs, Teague needs to transition himself early on in the season. Teague is trying to find chemistry with the second unit, but his chances are limited with Woodson always pulling him out. The kid can flat out play, just let him play!

I would ramp Teague up to about 20 minutes per for now. I think Bibby is still able to do alot. I think Teague still has a lot to learn. Fearless is great. He will have all the time in the world to be the PG here in Atlanta. I say let's let him learn first. He is special though. By the break, I hope he will be up to 25 mpg... and take that to the end of the reg season.

No way you can play Teague 25 minutes a game, without reducing the playing time of Bibby AND Crawford. Reducing JJ's minutes to free up time for Teague, isn't an option.

Like it or not, Mike Bibby has to be on the floor for this team. Maybe not 32 minutes a game, but at least for 27 - 30 minutes. He's not going to turn the ball over and he's going to give you clutch jumpshooting. And he runs the team well.

Crawford, if not on offensively, is a liability on the court. People cried when Woody took a hot JJ out of the game, in order to stick with his set rotation ( i.e. - get Crawford his minutes ). But 48 hours ago, that's what the majority of the fan base wanted.

You can reduce Marvin's minutes, play Crawford at the 2 more, to free up more minutes for Teague at the 1. But see the previous paragraph about Crawford. He has to be on offensively to justify playing him with JJ at the 3, and Teague/Bibby at the 1. That lineup is a defensive nightmare against a good scoring backcourt.

Everybody can't get significant minutes folks. Teague's playing time should be predicated on how well he is playing in an individual game. Giving him a set 20 - 25 minutes a game, would be a mistake. Keep him at 10 - 15 minutes a game, until he can consistently prove that he should get increased minutes.

People cried when Woody took a hot JJ out of the game, in order to stick with his set rotation ( i.e. - get Crawford his minutes ). But 48 hours ago, that's what the majority of the fan base wanted.

Yea, but Joe was shooting lights out. He was our offence in the first quarter. Woody could have left him.

Its up to the coach to use good judgment on a game to game basis, if a player is hot, play him, if not, then go to another option. With JJ, or anybody else who may be that hot, leave them in the game and keep the pressure on the other team, dont give them a break by taking him out while he is far from being gased. (JJ wasnt gonna stay hot forever, and when he stopped, he could have still been rested for significant time. I think Woody assumed JJ was gonna be able o turn it rite back on when he brought him back but thats not the case with Joe, he has to shoot when he's hot cuz he not able to turn it on or off his self.)

With that said, Teague's and any other bench player's minutes should be the givin the same way. If a starter hasnt been producing and Craw or Mo or Teague are doing well, leave them in until they cool off. If Teague gives 25 mins of lights out play while Bibby sits, so be it, if he isnt doing anything let Bibby get his time in, its that simple to me.

• Like 1

No way you can play Teague 25 minutes a game, without reducing the playing time of Bibby AND Crawford. Reducing JJ's minutes to free up time for Teague, isn't an option.

Like it or not, Mike Bibby has to be on the floor for this team. Maybe not 32 minutes a game, but at least for 27 - 30 minutes. He's not going to turn the ball over and he's going to give you clutch jumpshooting. And he runs the team well.

Yea, but it's getting harder and harder to hide Bibby on defense. At one time against the Lakers when some bench players were in the game, Bibby was guarding a forward who just posted him up, because he couldn't guard Shannon Brown and Kobe was back on the floor.

Yea, but it's getting harder and harder to hide Bibby on defense. At one time against the Lakers when some bench players were in the game, Bibby was guarding a forward who just posted him up, because he couldn't guard Shannon Brown and Kobe was back on the floor.

Exactly. Bibby has become just a spot up shooter. Which is bad, because he is such a liability on defense. And Bibby doesn't turn the ball over because he doesn't drive. He only passes from the perimeter. Teague should/will take his starting spot sooner than later if we play like we did Vs. the Lakers more often than not.

Not trying to get on Woody because we beat a good team on the road just now, but Jeff Teague DNP Coach's Decision? WTF?

Woodson feels content playing rookies when we're being blown out by 20 points (ala Lakers game). To Teague's defense, he provided a spark and helped us get back into the game. But when it comes down to a close game like the Blazers game, it's obvious to any viewer that Woodson favors his veterans.

Not that I'm not complaining about Woodson's 4th quarter substitution, my concern is Woodson's substitution patterns during the 1st half. The team's offense was stagnant, we couldn't make any buckets, and Woodson's answer is Jamal Crawford running point. The time when Bibby and Crawford were on the floor together does not work. Bibby is a PG who doesn't drive into the lane and he's a pure spot up shooter. Whereas if Woodson substituted Teague, atleast the rookie will attack the bucket and atleast change the momentum of the game. What Teague brings to the court is his tenacity to attack the rim. Whether he makes his shots or not, atleast our bigs get involved for second chance opportunities when the defense collapses on Teague or he misses his floater.

Woodson's idea of bringing Teague along slowly is no excuse. If the Hawks 1st team cannot find a rhythm, he needs to have more faith in his second unit especially if Teague can change the tempo of the game.