• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

If you're the coach, how would you spread the minutes around?

mattlanta

I think if I was the coach, my rotation and the minutes per game I'd allow each player would look like this...

Regular rotation...

Mike Bibby 28

Joe Johnson 36

Marvin Williams 29

Josh Smith 32

Al Horford 33

Jamal Crawford 30

Zaza Pachulia 15

Maurice Evans 14

Joe Smith 10

Jeff Teague 13

Only if needed or if winning by a lot...

Randolph Morris 0

Jason Collins 0

Othello Hunter 0

=240 minutes

How would you guys regulate the team's minutes per game?

With everyone healthy i would leave Joe Smith on the bench. I think he is basically done. Then i would give Marvin more minutes at the 4. His size and length allow him to guard the position fairly well. remeber that his standing reach is higher than Smith and Horford and he weighs 240. On the other end 4s are going to be too slow to guard him.

That would allow JJ to spend a few more minutes at the 3, Crawford at the 2 and open up some more minutes for Teague at the point.

Frankly from what i have see so far i think Teague is our best defender at the point. He pressures the ball well and his long arms allow him to get his hand on a lot of balls. He is averaging 1 steal per game in only 13 minutes.

• Premium Member

Hi, I'm Mike Woodson.

Joe Johnson: 52 minutes

Josh Smith: 46 minutes

Al Horford: 38 minutes

Marvin Williams: 36 minutes

Mike Bibby: 30 minutes

Jamal Crawford: 30 minutes

Zaza Pachulia: 12 minutes

Jeff Teague: 0 minutes

Acie Law: -4 minutes (he still owes me some from last year)

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 2

PG: Bibby ( 30 ) - Crawford ( 10 ) - Teague ( 8 )

G: Johnson ( 20 ) - Crawford ( 20 ) - Evans ( 8 )

F: Marvin ( 24 ) - Johnson ( 16 ) - Evans ( 8 )

PF: Smoove ( 34 ) - Marvin ( 8 ) - Joe Smith ( 6 )

C: Horford ( 34 ) - Zaza ( 14 )

Johnson: 36

Horford: 34

Smoove: 34

Marvin: 32

Bibby: 30

Crawford: 30

Evans: 16

Zaza: 14

Teague: 8

Joe Smith: 6

I'm definitely looking at a mainly 8-man rotation, with Teague and Joe Smith giving spot minute support. Teague would play every game, while Joe Smith may not.

Like Exodus, I'd rather just give Joe Smith zero minutes and divy up some of his time between Teague and Evans. But with the way Smoove gets in foul trouble sometimes, I'd play Joe Smith spot minutes after the 3 minute time out, in the 1st & 3rd quarters . . . maximum.

Teague would get most of his time in the 1st half, and I would use discretion to play him in the 2nd half. It would definitely be on a need or feel basis. I wouldn't have in my mind that I HAD to play him in the 2nd half. But if Teague shows that he can actually guard people, I'd give him more minutes. We'd need somebody like that when we play Rondo in Boston on Friday.

Right now, Mo is our best deep shooter. So if JJ, Crawford, and Marvin are going to continue to struggle behind the arc, I'd give Evans more minutes to open up the floor, and play Marvin a little more at the 4.

Mo would get his time after the 3 minute time out in the 1st & 3rd quarters . . . and come out sometime between the 9 and 6 minute mark in the 2nd & 4th quarters.

I'd rather play Horford more at PF, but if Zaza can't give us 20 solid minutes a night, Horford has to play center as much as possible.

Giving Marvin more minutes at the 4, gives JJ more minutes at the 3, and Crawford at the 2.

• Like 1

I think if I was the coach, my rotation and the minutes per game I'd allow each player would look like this...

Regular rotation...

Mike Bibby 28

Joe Johnson 36

Marvin Williams 29

Josh Smith 32

Al Horford 33

Jamal Crawford 30

Zaza Pachulia 15

Maurice Evans 14

Joe Smith 10

Jeff Teague 13

Randolph Morris 0

Jason Collins 0

Othello Hunter 0

=240 minutes

Regular rotation...

Mike Bibby 26

Joe Johnson 34

Marvin Williams 29

Josh Smith 32

Al Horford 33

Jamal Crawford 30

Zaza Pachulia 15

Maurice Evans 14

Joe Smith 10

Jeff Teague 17

JJ and Bibby get more rest, two minutes each; and Teague gets those minutes. Not set in stone but defensively we gain with Teague IMO.

• Premium Member

I think it's hard to tell how to break up minutes. I think it should be based on matchup not on some set minute scale...

However, as a base:

Bibby 26 mpg Teague 16 mpg. Craw 6 mpg. = PG

Joe = 20 mpg Craw 28 mpg = SG

Marv = 20 mpg Joe = 14 mpg , Mo = 14 mpg.

Smoove = 36 mpg JSmith = 12 mpg

Horf = 26 mpg; Zaza = 16 mpg; Smith/Collins = 6 mpg.

Reserve = Hunter.

Reserve = Collins

But again.. Matchup first.

PG: Bibby ( 30 ) - Crawford ( 10 ) - Teague ( 8 )

G: Johnson ( 20 ) - Crawford ( 20 ) - Evans ( 8 )

F: Marvin ( 24 ) - Johnson ( 16 ) - Evans ( 8 )

PF: Smoove ( 34 ) - Marvin ( 8 ) - Joe Smith ( 6 )

C: Horford ( 34 ) - Zaza ( 14 )

Johnson: 36

Horford: 34

Smoove: 34

Marvin: 32

Bibby: 30

Crawford: 30

Evans: 16

Zaza: 14

Teague: 8

Joe Smith: 6

x2

What he just said.

I would have no problem giving up some of Mo Evans minutes to Crawford or Teague depending on who is hot and defensive matchups.

Hi, I'm Mike Woodson.

Joe Johnson: 52 minutes

Josh Smith: 46 minutes

Al Horford: 38 minutes

Marvin Williams: 36 minutes

Mike Bibby: 30 minutes

Jamal Crawford: 30 minutes

Zaza Pachulia: 12 minutes

Jeff Teague: 0 minutes

Acie Law: -4 minutes (he still owes me some from last year)

Jeez this post got -2 reputation points? I assume that this was a joke and even as a Woody supporter (most of the time) I thought it was funny.

• Premium Member

Jeez this post got -2 reputation points? I assume that this was a joke and even as a Woody supporter (most of the time) I thought it was funny.

Yes, it was a joke. I have no clue how that was worthy of downrating. Seriously.

• Premium Member

Regular rotation...

Mike Bibby 28

Joe Johnson 36

Marvin Williams 29

Josh Smith 32

Al Horford 33

Jamal Crawford 30

Zaza Pachulia 15

Maurice Evans 14

Joe Smith 10

Jeff Teague 13

Randolph Morris 0

Jason Collins 0

Othello Hunter 0

=240 minutes

I'd take two minutes from JJ and give one to Marvin for him to get 30 and one to Teague to get him to 14. Otherwise I agree. We absolutely can not overwork JJ during the season and Crawford does so much on offense we can throw JJ at 3 and put Teague in at point and still have three ballhandlers with two off the bench. Its just great finally having a bench like this.

Like someone else said.......go with the hot hand. Woody NEVER seems to do this. He is too rigid and structured with his minutes.

We have some guys who are either ON or OFF. Bibby is like that. If he's hot, stay with him. If not, give Teague or Evans more.

If Joe's hot......leave him in. If not, use Evans or Crawford more. If Crawford's hot.....rest Joe a little. If Marvin starts acting like Casper

the friendly ghost or the invisible man......slide Joe over and leave Craw at the SG. If Smoove is cold or chucking up bricks....give Joe Smith more.

Horford is the most consistent, but if Zaza brings some toughness and energy....leave him in longer.

You get the point. I would LOVE to see Woody coach like this. He's got the personnel to play with. GO WITH THE HOT HAND WOODY!

Watch whats happening on the floor.......not just by the numbers.