• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

JJ disses Atlanta fans

coachx

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/63807/20100104/johnson_knocks_atlantas_home_crowd/#

Hawks star Joe Johnson knocked the team's home crowd in an interview with Chicago's Daily Herald.

"Don't get me wrong, it's the home team and I enjoy playing there and I enjoy when the fans do come out," Johnson said. "But by no stretch of the imagination have we got one of the best home crowds. We don't. I can't really even say it's getting there.

"In the playoffs, yeah, they're there. Throughout the regular season, it's not much of a big difference from what it was. It's different, but it's not that big of a difference than what is was when I first got there."

RealGM Note: The Hawks are 20th in home attendance this season, averaging 16,707 fans (89.2%).

I have no problem with a man, (JJ), speaking obvious truth.

Atlanta is a strange place, to me, when it comes to who and why Atlantans cheer for certain NBA players.........every once in a while they may actually cheer for a team.

At least the Falcons fans come out and support the team. In the last home game against Buffalo, the stands were 90% full and the game was a technical sell-out for a team that was elimiated from playoff contention. The Hawks will never have that kind of fan support. Its not for a lack of "basketball fans" in this city. Its that the basketball fans in this city would rather cheer on a top 5 star then the "home team." Seems wierd, to me, but I've pretty much stopped careing about why many Atlantans are the way they are.

Now that college football is over and the Falcons season is over MAYBE Atlantans will show up a little more.

I like what Bill Shanks wrote, out of Macon. The Hawks should be focusing more marketing for the fans OUTSIDE of downtown Atlanta. From my first hand expierence, I would bet that well over 50% of the people at Braves and Falcons games travel over 40 miles to get to the game.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

This is a misleading title. He did not "diss" anyone. He told the truth that everyone knows about Atlanta fans. There are more true sports fans that root for Atlanta teams in the state of Georgia than the fans actually in Atlanta. They should promote accordingly.

This is a misleading title. He did not "diss" anyone. He told the truth that everyone knows about Atlanta fans.

Does a "diss" have to be a lie ?

Can a diss not be true ?

ex. Ha, ha......Tommy is a little squirt !

Is that not a diss even if Tommy is indeed a little squirt ?

There are more true sports fans that root for Atlanta teams in the state of Georgia than the fans actually in Atlanta. They should promote accordingly.

Agree 100%

Edited by coachx

Does a "diss" have to be a lie ?

Can a diss not be true ?

ex. Ha, ha......Tommy is a little squirt !

Is that not a diss even if Tommy is indeed a little squirt ?

Agree 100%

I think that the point is that when people see this title it automatically makes them think that JJ was talking trash about the Hawks fans, or at least that's what "diss" implies to me and I think most people, but in reality he didn't say anything negative about the Hawks fans other than they don't come out any more now during the regular season than when he signed here and to me that's not dissing them.

The important thing here is that it seems like this is something important to JJ and I can't help but think it will be a factor in re-signing him.

• Premium Member

It should be noted that it's a lot easier to sell out games when you only play 8 or so home games over a period of, what, 4 months?

41 games over the course of a 6 month season is a bit more difficult. The Braves would be a more reasonable comparison.

It should be noted that it's a lot easier to sell out games when you only play 8 or so home games over a period of, what, 4 months?

41 games over the course of a 6 month season is a bit more difficult. The Braves would be a more reasonable comparison.

Good point !

he's 100% correct. I've only missed one game this year at Philips, and attendance is horrible. The only time there is a decent crowd is when a big super star is in town, other than that we can't even draw a decent crowd on National TV. I expect a decent crowd for Boston on Friday, since we have the "rivalry" thing going for us and its at 8Pm on ESPN - but other than when we play the "big 3 - cleveland, LA, boston" the place is generally dead.

• Like 1

If we would have drafted Paul or Roy/Gay/Rondo this place would be rocking all those guys allstar players who are very exciting players to watch.

And all of those guys except Rondo is on a team with a losing record. I am a native Atlantan and this is my issue with transplants they wanna be in hollywood but cant affortd to live there so they compromise and come to the"A". The hawks are a team that play like a team and because we don't have a "Queen James" people wanna say we are not exiciting to watch. Its sad that people "transplants" in Atlanta don't support a good or know when they have a great thing staring them in their face. Joe the real fans got your back!!!

Also most NFL games are on the weekend; all three sports have good attendance on the weekend. Its not hard to figure out either that when the Braves get 30,000 that is a equal % to us getting 16,000 at Phillips.

We are 20th in the league in attendance and have no chance to win our division. I am sorry, but until we start looking like a team that can win our division, we are going to be a tough sell to John Q public to come out on a weekday, stay up late, drive home late, drop a 100 or more dollars; then get up and go to work the next day.

Edited by Buzzard

I think some things are better unsaid. Especially coming off 2 home losses to the KNICKS in like a week and letting 17 point leads get away. If the hawks were to go to the ECF this year and next year then I think attendence would pick up. Ive been to games during the week this season and attendance isn't that bad to be honest. The hawks have been really bad for a long time and two good (or better than average) seasons in a row is prob not enough to change the culture of the fans. Not to say that there arent some fair weather fans in atlanta - there are. My point is Joe should worry more about winning (all 4 qtrs) and less about the fans. He gets paid the same regardless.

And all of those guys except Rondo is on a team with a losing record. I am a native Atlantan and this is my issue with transplants they wanna be in hollywood but cant affortd to live there so they compromise and come to the"A". The hawks are a team that play like a team and because we don't have a "Queen James" people wanna say we are not exiciting to watch. Its sad that people "transplants" in Atlanta don't support a good or know when they have a great thing staring them in their face. Joe the real fans got your back!!!

It IS sad.

This team wins 70 - 75% of their home games, and some people act like they don't win 50% of their home games. We have one of the highest scoring teams in the league, yet people want to throw out THAT EXCUSE that we're not exciting?

Come on now. Even the loss vs the Knicks was an exciting game.

I gues watching a solid player like JJ make jumpshots isn't eciting enough. That's why we have Smoove, to provide the excitement.

• Premium Member

If we would have drafted Paul or Roy/Gay/Rondo this place would be rocking all those guys allstar players who are very exciting players to watch.

Rudy Gay and Rajon Rondo are big drawing cards? Yeah, ok.

Also most NFL games are on the weekend; all three sports have good attendance on the weekend. Its not hard to figure out either that when the Braves get 30,000 that is a equal % to us getting 16,000 at Phillips.

We are 20th in the league in attendance and have no chance to win our division. I am sorry, but until we start looking like a team that can win our division, we are going to be a tough sell to John Q public to come out on a weekday, stay up late, drive home late, drop a 100 or more dollars; then get up and go to work the next day.

Wasn't the Cleveland game on a Tuesday?

The excuses have to stop. We're currently a top 7 team in the league, but 20th in attendance?

Wow.

And last I checked, we were like 2 games behind Orlando in the division. So if Orlando wins 62 games, and the Hawks win 55, that's the reason why people don't go to Hawks games? Hogwash.

And the commute that ATL people have to make to Hawks games, is no different than the commute people have to make to Rockets, Mavericks, Bulls, and Warriors games. I haven't looked at the attendance numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Golden State's attendance was higher than ours.

LOL . . the team won 31 home games last year . . . .31.

But they're still not good enough for people to watch on a nightly basis?

Wasn't the Cleveland game on a Tuesday?

The excuses have to stop. We're currently a top 7 team in the league, but 20th in attendance?

Wow.

And last I checked, we were like 2 games behind Orlando in the division. So if Orlando wins 62 games, and the Hawks win 55, that's the reason why people don't go to Hawks games? Hogwash.

And the commute that ATL people have to make to Hawks games, is no different than the commute people have to make to Rockets, Mavericks, Bulls, and Warriors games. I haven't looked at the attendance numbers, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Golden State's attendance was higher than ours.

LOL . . the team won 31 home games last year . . . .31.

But they're still not good enough for people to watch on a nightly basis?

Yeah, who don't want to pay to watch a team that can shoot 29% and be down by 20 to Miami? Yeah, this team is really deserving.