• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Johnson to Knicks

DeacKillsaDevil

There is a growing sentiment among opposing team executives that at the very least the Knicks will sign Atlanta's Joe Johnson, whose agent, Arn Tellem, orchestrated the Tracy McGrady trade to the Knicks and has been friends with Walsh for 20 years. It's called a "wink-wink deal," and even though it is against NBA rules, the practice does exist and is nearly impossible to police.

"I think that's a done deal," said one Eastern Conference GM.

If Walsh can't land either James or Dwyane Wade but ends up with Johnson, another option is luring Toronto's Chris Bosh in a sign-and-trade. Sources claim the Raptors would be open to such a deal if it included David Lee.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2010/03/12/2010-03-12_knicks_hope_all_isnt_lost.html#ixzz0hzMcNByA

Edited by GameTime

See the latest ESPN Insider

They say there is an under the table deal for JJ to sign with the Knicks.

The Knicks HAVE to make a move THIS YEAR. You can't watch NYK homegames in NY without their premium package. This is a serious income stream for the Knicks. They have to be desperate to get a winning team in there (people cancelling like crazy). NYK owner(s) are mega-rich, but savvy...they can offer JJ a max contract between drinks at lunch. Salary cap means nothing to them but they HAVE to start winning.

Most mis-managed franchise since the Cubs.

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

If you believe anything that's written in the Daily News or the Post, then you must not have ever been to New York. They are tabloids. They don't check sources, and they print gossip as fact. The Post was the paper that ran the "Kerry picks Gephardt as VP" headline the day before Kerry announced that it was Edwards. The Daily News has run about 23534564 "done deal" trade stories that turned out to be a load of crap. I think they also blew the Obama VP pick 2-3 times, including one with Hillary.

If it appears in the Daily News and isn't from one of the wire services, the chances of it being correct are seriously only a hair better than the National Enquirer.

Edited by niremetal

• Premium Member

you just yelled "BOMB!!!" on a crowded plane

Edited by NineOhTheRino

It wouldn't surprise me if it was true.

If we can trade Smoove plus player (outside Al and Marvin) and pick for CP3. I wouldn't care if he played in Greece next season.

• Premium Member

I was just about to post this. If you google, "Joe Johnson to Knicks a done deal" there are several links.. Makes me worry a little, but I still believe he will re-sign with us. :helpsmilie:

Those links all use the NYDN story as the only "source." Such is the problem with this modern age of hyperlinking.

Ok, I don't wanna lose Joe.....

Then again, I'm sitting here thinking about Joe Johnson, and I think I would rather lose him than overpay him. Joe Johnson is great, but he is not the superstar to carry us to a title. If we sign a 6 year max deal with him, that essentially means that we are hinging our future on him becoming that guy. Not to mention, he doesn't strike me as having that drive, that killer instinct to become the best he possibly can and win a title as the best player on a team. If he gets his money this summer, has he proven to us that he won't go on cruise control after that?

Do I want him to stay? Yes. But at the same time, I'm hesitant to get locked into 6 years of Joe Johnson and not leave any cap room to do anything else. It would leave us no room to sign any big free agents, but we would win enough games to keep us out of the draft lottery (kinda like where we are right now).

If we lose him, obviously we are a worse team next year (maybe even the year after that as well). But if we keep him, do we just remain the 4th best team in the East for the next 6 years? Or, if we keep him, do Josh and Al continue to grow and suddenly we're a contender?

I don't know. It's a tough call for sure.

Edited by HawkRock1123

• Premium Member
  • Premium Member

Arn Tellem is what worries me. I think he is accustomed to getting deals done with the wink wink. I don't trust a NY source though. It's more like a feeler than truth.

I say that our future with Joe depends on how far in the playoffs we go.

1. If we go to the playoffs with a first round exist... Bye Bye. And that's not just from Joe's side.
  2. IF we limp out the first and get crushed in the second... Still Bye Bye.
  3. If we play go through the first and lose close in the second, the owners my come up with the money.
  4. IF we go through the first and the second, the owners will come up with the money and Joe will resign.

Joe is seeking a lot of money. Yes, he has been a four time allstar. Yes, he has been on the USA Team Select. Yes, he's consider the top of the 2nd tier of NBA players.

BUT.. He's asking for a lot. All of his accomplishments are in the past. We are paying him for what he can do in the future. That Being the case, Sund has to make a decision regarding our future with Joe knowing that we are classically flawed. (NO Post threat on offense). Sund is not slow. He went after Crawford for what Crawford could bring this year AND for Joe Insurance. The question that Sund must ask is Would it be worth it to handcuff this team to Joe.

There's no victory in Joe walking for nothing, but there's a nice aroma of win if we do well in the offseason and we can resign Joe and maybe move Bibby, Marvin and Mo for productivity.

• Premium Member

I wonder if we lose Joe if we could do a S&T with them but I can't think of anyone I'd want from that roster.

There is literally not a single Knicks player I would want on the team either... Maybe Gallinari? But damn, what a crap team they've got this year.

Edited by Atlantaholic

• Premium Member

Ok, I don't wanna lose Joe.....

Then again, I'm sitting here thinking about Joe Johnson, and I think I would rather lose him than overpay him. Joe Johnson is great, but he is not the superstar to carry us to a title. If we sign a 6 year max deal with him, that essentially means that we are hinging our future on him becoming that guy. Not to mention, he doesn't strike me as having that drive, that killer instinct to become the best he possibly can and win a title as the best player on a team. If he gets his money this summer, has he proven to us that he won't go on cruise control after that?

Do I want him to stay? Yes. But at the same time, I'm hesitant to get locked into 6 years of Joe Johnson and not leave any cap room to do anything else. It would leave us no room to sign any big free agents, but we would win enough games to keep us out of the draft lottery (kinda like where we are right now).

If we lose him, obviously we are a worse team next year (maybe even the year after that as well). But if we keep him, do we just remain the 4th best team in the East for the next 6 years? Or, if we keep him, do Josh and Al continue to grow and suddenly we're a contender?

I don't know. It's a tough call for sure.

Plenty of teams have contended for and even won titles after overpaying to get/keep players who weren't worth it (the Magic with Rashard being the most recent example). But there isn't a single team since the dawn of free agency in the NBA that has won the Finals after letting an All-Star walk for nothing.

Overpaying for Joe > letting Joe walk. You don't let big-time assets go for nothing.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I wonder if we lose Joe if we could do a S&T with them but I can't think of anyone I'd want from that roster.

IF you're talking NY...

Easily, I would like Galls.

Easily, I would like Lee (but supposedly he's going to Toronto for Bosh).

Easily, I would try to swap out Marvin for Chandler.

Probably not, we will end up like Golden State when Baron Davis left except with a much better roster.

IF you're talking NY...

Easily, I would like Galls.

Easily, I would like Lee (but supposedly he's going to Toronto for Bosh).

Easily, I would try to swap out Marvin for Chandler.

There not trading anyone if they sign JJ and Chandler for Marvin, lol. Your kidding right, wait smh your not. Next time swap someone who's better than Marvin not worst.

• Premium Member

There not trading anyone if they sign JJ and Chandler for Marvin, lol. Your kidding right, wait smh your not. Next time swap someone who's better than Marvin not worst.

This is Diesel we're talking about. He thinks pulling Steve Holman out of the broadcasting booth would give us an upgrade over Marvin.