• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Good Point Bad Points about Bobcats game.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Watching the game here are my good points:

1. Teague in the 4th. I know Teague wasn't great for most of the game, but in the fourth, he started to put some things together. He hit a three. He blew past Augustin for a layup. He was running the offense (at least as much as they'd let him) fairly well.

2. Joe Smith. I think Joe is getting Playoff Ready.

3. Al's offense is getting better. I saw some nice drives in the 4th.

The Bad points.

1. Horrible first quarter.

2. Mo Evans made Gerald Wallace look like Scottie Freakin Pippen.

3. Somebody made Boris Diaw look like Scottie Freakin Pippen.

4. 4th quarter, we couldn't get a defensive rebound.

5. Teague's first half. What the hell?

6. Where's Zaza Coach?

7. Marvin doesn't step it up in the absence of JJ.

8. Chandler seemed to shut down Smith inside. Smoove stop shooting from outside.

Honestly... I would love to see Smoove work out with Gerald Wallace for part of the summer. Wallace's game is predicated on him getting to the rim and he works everything in after that. Smoove's game could be so much nicer.

Yes, Teague looked really good in the 4th. You wonder how could he COULD HAVE BEEN at this point in the year, had Woodson been playing him more and showing more confidence in him.

Marvin....WTF is up with you dude??? He just seems like he doesn't want to be out there. Very puzzling year for Marvin, which should have been an improving year for him (like Al & Smoove). I don't know why he has been so inconsistent all year?

And why does Woody contiunue to start him. Maybe some bench time will wake up his azz???

Once again we were poorly outcoached

Joe Smith was OK. But he doesn't seem to bring anything to the table but hit an occasional 20 ft jumper. I think we should have held onto Solo and saved some $$$.

We are lost without Bibby & Joe out there. We have always lived and died by our guards.

The best part about last night was that the Celtics lost too.

Hawks are still in 3rd.

I hope Bibby plays tonight. We really missed his verteran influence in the 1st quarter. That being said........I still hope Teague gets 20 minutes + tonight as well.

The best part about last night was that the Celtics lost too.

Hawks are still in 3rd.

I hope Bibby plays tonight. We really missed his verteran influence in the 1st quarter. That being said........I still hope Teague gets 20 minutes + tonight as well.

We should be able to handle Detroit without JJ. If Bibby can start, that would be a big help. I heard he just has an ingrown toenail.

Teague needs more playing time desperately. You could see him settling down and playing a lot better in the 4th qtr. He was probably

very nervous at the start of the game.

Diesel: Zaza had a hip pointer and did not play in the second half.

You are right on your several points. How about that!!

Olay defense. Where was Collins? I know. He ain't great. But, I don't believe

they would simply run over / overpower him inside. Not for long, but give him

a couple of minutes early and at least see what he could do. Couldn't be any

worse that what we had in the first quarter.

No energy. No intensity. Hawks had already given up when they took the floor.

They were simply going thru the motions. Their defense was that "Deer in the

headlights" approach. Stunned, to say the least.

Now, the question is: Will they come out to compete tonight, or do we give up?

:temperature:

Woody said in the post game interview that Collins was not available to play last night. I forgot what Woody said his injury was.

• Premium Member

Woody said in the post game interview that Collins was not available to play last night. I forgot what Woody said his injury was.

That explains why RandMo got the garbage-time burn.

• Premium Member

Just got back from Charlotte.

I can add these:

1. Teague looked like a legitimate point guard in the 2nd half. Not just a guard, but a point guard. That sent me home happy.

2. The entire team looked distracted and disinterested most of the game. I'll spare you the details of the timeout late in the game where I saw several players watching the Kittens' cheerleaders rather than listening to Woody....

3. Marvin was terrible vs. the Kittens' forwards. He simply can't match up with Wallace. (No one on the Hawks can).

4. Mario West does not belong on an NBA roster.

Diesel: Zaza had a hip pointer and did not play in the second half.

You are right on your several points. How about that!!

No energy. No intensity. Hawks had already given up when they took the floor.

They were simply going thru the motions. Their defense was that "Deer in the

headlights" approach. Stunned, to say the least.

Now, the question is: Will they come out to compete tonight, or do we give up?

I agree..I think Collins would of helped a bit on D in the paint because they were getting to the rim at ease and got too many offensive rebounds. But I hear Collins was injured too. I would like for Collins to see a little more playing time as well..especially when our defense is horrible. He's a veteran that will box out and take charges. We are gonna need him in a 7 game series against Cavs or Magic so why not play him some more

I'd say the slow start had just as much to do with Bibby being out as Joe being out. I can't tell you how many games I've seen this season that Bibby comes out smokin' in the 1st and I think he's gonna explode for a big game only to see him wind up on the bench for the rest of the game.

This might be the last game I ever expect to see something out of Marvin. I thought...Joe & Bibby out, back in North Carolina...he's gotta have at least a decent game right? It's like he's scared to even touch the ball offensively. He lolli-gags around the 3-point line, defers wide-open jump shots, and rarely even cuts to the basket anymore. And people are scared that sending him to the bench would crush his confidence? What confidence?

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'd say the slow start had just as much to do with Bibby being out as Joe being out. I can't tell you how many games I've seen this season that Bibby comes out smokin' in the 1st and I think he's gonna explode for a big game only to see him wind up on the bench for the rest of the game.

This might be the last game I ever expect to see something out of Marvin. I thought...Joe & Bibby out, back in North Carolina...he's gotta have at least a decent game right? It's like he's scared to even touch the ball offensively. He lolli-gags around the 3-point line, defers wide-open jump shots, and rarely even cuts to the basket anymore. And people are scared that sending him to the bench would crush his confidence? What confidence?

Screw his confidence, we need to play the hot hand as far as SF is concerned. When Mo is on, give him the minutes (like last night), because when Mo is on fire he is a much better player than Marvin.

The season that Marvin is having this year reminds me of the season that Andrei Kirilenko had back in 06 - 07. That was the seasn in which the Jazz transitioned from trying to feature him in the offense, to them handing control over the offense to Deron Williams.

AK pretty much sulked at the lack of touches he was getting ( after being pretty much "the man" 2 years earlier ). The more Deron and Boozer played like Stockton and Malone, the more of a complimentary scorer AK became. It even affected his defense. The following seasn, Jerry Sloan even benched him for a while, because of his inconsistent play, and he completely fell out of favor with the fans ( because his production and effort were nowhere near matching what he was getting paid per year ).

I think we all knew that when we brought in Crawford, that he would take shots from everybody except JJ. It turns out though, that he took more shots away from Bibby and Marvin, than anybody else.

At that point, it was up to Marvin to adjust his game and become more of an energy/intangibles player . . and a guy who could knock down open shots. That's something that he hasn't consistently done all year.

So if he couldn't get the touches that he got in years past, we at least needed him to affect game in some other way, whether it be on the defensive end, or with his rebounding. Unfortunately, we can't even get that kind of effort out of him in half the games.

I've always thought that Diesel's comments about Marvin, while not completely off-base, were somewhat unfair . . because the dude was at least producing numbers at a decent rate. Marvin wasn't great, but at least he wasn't garbage.

Marvin better be careful. With JJ and Mo having the ability to play the 3, Woody may start treating Marvin like Royal Ivey, and play him for the first 5 - 7 minutes of each half, and not even THINK ABOUT putting him back in the game.

What's sad to me about Teague is to hear him talk. I think he said similar things after his first and only other start this year. About how out of his league a rookie starting only his second game is. I've never heard rookies talk like that. Most of them, even the ones that never played college ball come in thinking they are world beaters. Shows you just how much Teague's confidence has been beaten down. Shame on you Woody. Not the way to build a future point guard.

Edited by Endy9

Just got back from Charlotte.

I can add these:

1. Teague looked like a legitimate point guard in the 2nd half. Not just a guard, but a point guard. That sent me home happy.

2. The entire team looked distracted and disinterested most of the game. I'll spare you the details of the timeout late in the game where I saw several players watching the Kittens' cheerleaders rather than listening to Woody....

3. Marvin was terrible vs. the Kittens' forwards. He simply can't match up with Wallace. (No one on the Hawks can).

4. Mario West does not belong on an NBA roster.

I see a lot of other teams getting productive players from the D-League. GS has been great at it. Shaun Livingston has been coming up big for the Wizards. Why can't we do better than Mario West.

Watching the game here are my good points:

1. Teague in the 4th. I know Teague wasn't great for most of the game, but in the fourth, he started to put some things together. He hit a three. He blew past Augustin for a layup. He was running the offense (at least as much as they'd let him) fairly well.

2. Joe Smith. I think Joe is getting Playoff Ready.

3. Al's offense is getting better. I saw some nice drives in the 4th.

The Bad points.

1. Horrible first quarter.

2. Mo Evans made Gerald Wallace look like Scottie Freakin Pippen.

3. Somebody made Boris Diaw look like Scottie Freakin Pippen.

4. 4th quarter, we couldn't get a defensive rebound.

5. Teague's first half. What the hell?

6. Where's Zaza Coach?

7. Marvin doesn't step it up in the absence of JJ.

8. Chandler seemed to shut down Smith inside. Smoove stop shooting from outside.

Honestly... I would love to see Smoove work out with Gerald Wallace for part of the summer. Wallace's game is predicated on him getting to the rim and he works everything in after that. Smoove's game could be so much nicer.

This team is lazy, unmovitived and not talented enough. That's it.

Why can't we do better than Mario West.

Because the ownership is too cheap to field a full roster. They could have signed a couple Dleagers to minimum salary contracts with nonguaranteed contracts for next season. Someone like Anthony Tolliver would have been a nice addition to this team. The ownership is simply not willing to spend the $$.

• Premium Member

Because the ownership is too cheap to field a full roster. They could have signed a couple Dleagers to minimum salary contracts with nonguaranteed contracts for next season. Someone like Anthony Tolliver would have been a nice addition to this team. The ownership is simply not willing to spend the $$.

That's a new spin on the owners being cheap, considering that the minimum salary for Mario is higher than the minimum salary for Tolliver (and any other D-Leaguer whose first season in the league was last year or this year), and that a a non-guaranteed contract is, you know, not guaranteed.

Sorry, but cheapness doesn't explain why Rio got the roster spot instead of a D-Leaguer or even a vet (remember that the league reimburses teams for the difference if they sign a vet to a minimum contract instead of a 3rd-year player like Rio). Stupidity/bad scouting, maybe. Blinded by Woody's quirky taste in players, maybe. But blaming cheapness for our signing of Rio versus D-Leaguers or Stackhouse-like vets makes zero sense.

Edited by niremetal

niremetal- The Hawks could get West, Tolliver, and Gaines if they wanted to spend a little extra $$. Tolliver fills a role that the Hawks don't have- a big who can actually make a 3 pointer. There are plenty of Dleagues that the team could have brought in without cutting anyone else and there was no downside other than a little cash. How can I not think thats just them being cheap?

I think the Hawks also make dumb choices. It was just dumb to sign Collins to a guaranteed contract. But in addition to being dumb they are also being cheap. (And West as a third year player would have part of his contract reimbursed by the league... it sounds like you are under the impression that he would not)

Edited by spotatl

• Premium Member

niremetal- The Hawks could get West, Tolliver, and Gaines if they wanted to spend a little extra $$. Tolliver fills a role that the Hawks don't have- a big who can actually make a 3 pointer. There are plenty of Dleagues that the team could have brought in without cutting anyone else and there was no downside other than a little cash. How can I not think thats just them being cheap?

I think the Hawks also make dumb choices. It was just dumb to sign Collins to a guaranteed contract. But in addition to being dumb they are also being cheap. (And West as a third year player would have part of his contract reimbursed by the league... it sounds like you are under the impression that he would not)

Spotatl - first off, the discussion was "why do we end up signing guys like West?" So you now seem to be talking about something totally different - why don't we sign guys IN ADDITION TO WEST.

Second, and on that note, I highly doubt that Tolliver would get anything more than a stack of DNP-CDs if we signed him. He would have just been keeping RandMo company. My philosophy on the roster spots 14-15 is to keep them open unless 1) a can't-miss player comes along (like how the Spurs picked up Drew Gooden with their 15th spot last spring); or 2) you suffer injuries and need to pick someone up who can give you a warm body at the injured position. Signing a guy before you know if/where you'll need those warm bodies is both a waste of money and a potential hamstringing if guys go down hurt. You can disagree, but I can't think of a team in the NBA that has ever seen their fortunes change significantly - in the short-term or long-term - because they filled those last two roster spots before the season started.

Edited by niremetal