• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This team is special

Atlantaholic

• Premium Member

I really think this year's team is one of the very best Hawks teams of all time (sans St Louis days). Three guys having as good a game as Horf, Josh, and Joe had tonight is not something that happens very often in the NBA, I mean you look at our C PF numbers and you're looking at 41 points, 24 rebounds, 10 assists, 4 steals, 5 blocks 71% shooting.

jesus christ.

That is a serious stat line folks, no team in the NBA has a PF and C combo more deadly than ours. No one. If we somehow manage to stay consistent in the playoffs there is no team out there in the East or the West that is gonna beat us in less than 7 games.

Edited by Atlantaholic
  • Like 1

I really think this year's team is one of the very best Hawks teams of all time (sans St Louis days). Three guys having as good a game as Horf, Josh, and Joe had tonight is not something that happens very often in the NBA, I mean you look at our C PF numbers and you're looking at 41 points, 24 rebounds, 10 assists, 4 steals, 5 blocks 71% shooting.

jesus christ.

That is a serious stat line folks, no team in the NBA has a PF and C combo more deadly than ours. No one. If we somehow manage to stay consistent in the playoffs there is no team out there in the East or the West that is gonna beat us in less than 7 games.

Gasol + A Healthy Bynum says what's up. But yeah, that is a crazy stat line. We expect them to dominate in this series because they have no interior presence to challenge them now that Bogut is down. Now, if they can do this against the Magic...

Good game, W and some nice stats!

I like the way we look and I agree that this is our best team after 93/94' if I'm not mistaking.

I like missmatches we create and our dynamics overall, especially from Al & Smoove. Realisticly, Bucks are no match to us, evident from game 1.

However, it's just the beginning and it's a long road ahead... but I agree with you, this team is special and could go long ways... it's just the matter of stayin' focused and playin' with intensity and emotion.

jesus christ.

You might wanna hold up on this until the 2nd round. The bucks might have the worst frontcourt in the NBA without Bogut

• Premium Member

Good game, W and some nice stats!

I like the way we look and I agree that this is our best team after 93/94' if I'm not mistaking.

I like missmatches we create and our dynamics overall, especially from Al & Smoove. Realisticly, Bucks are no match to us, evident from game 1.

However, it's just the beginning and it's a long road ahead... but I agree with you, this team is special and could go long ways... it's just the matter of stayin' focused and playin' with intensity and emotion.

In terms of W-L, the '96-'97 team was better. In terms of likelihood of making it past the second round, I honestly think this might be the best Hawks team since the move to Atlanta. Even the Nique/Doc team of the late 80's had more obvious weaknesses than we do compared to the league's elite.

Good opportunity for the frontline to put up some awesome unique stats because the BUCKS don't have a frontline without Bogut and their best forward is out on the perimeter trying to guard Joe. The HAWKS will never have it so easy again with potential future match up possibilites with the following:

MAGIC - Howard, Lewis, Gortat, etc.

CELTICS - KG, Perkins, Big Baby, etc.

CAVS - Lebron, Shaq, Ilgauskas, Varejao, Jamison, Hickson

LAKERS - Gosal, Bynum, Odom

MAVS - Haywood, Dampier, Nowitzki, Thomas

The Bucks situation is so bad its almost equivalant to putting some slow church league guys out on the perimeter to guard Crawford & JJ.

Look for game 3 to go down to the wire though, the Bucks will be inspired to save to series and Smith & Horford might not play as well on the road, we may need Crawford & JJ to pull this one out.

Slow your roll. This team hasn't even won a second round playoff game yet.

Those Deke teams had to deal with the Bulls. If i remember right they actually had a 2-1 series lead on the Bulls one year. Those Deke teams would have cruised against the Bogutless Bucks too.

Edited by exodus

• Premium Member

jesus christ.

I think this team is definitely better offensively than teams past (up until Nique's team) but I think Deke's teams were much better defensively.

I guess it's what you value.

In terms of W-L, the '96-'97 team was better. In terms of likelihood of making it past the second round, I honestly think this might be the best Hawks team since the move to Atlanta. Even the Nique/Doc team of the late 80's had more obvious weaknesses than we do compared to the league's elite.

Actually, there are some similarities between this team and 96/97' team, even though styles of BBall are worlds apart!

Hawks have never had more balanced starting 5's... Mookie, Smitty, Ty Corbin, Laettner, Deke / Bibster, JJ, Marv, Smoove, Al

During 80' and Nique era we naver realy had balanced line-up, especially as far as offense was concerned.

The argument that I've made about 93/94' team was concerning actual chances to go all the way... and remember, it was basically wide open that year... between us, Knicks, Sonics and Rockets... but then Lenny and Babcock dropped the bomb on us...

We're going to see just how 'special' this team is in a few days when they go on the road. Milwaukee is staggering on the ropes and looking for a soft place on the canvas to lay down. Will they resort to playing down to the level of their competition and let the Bucks back in this thing or do they deliver to the knockout punch necessary to put them down for good? Borrowing from that old Gatorade commericial, 'is it in them'? We'll soon find out...

• Premium Member

This team needs to reach the ECF before I put it anywhere near one of the best Hawks teams of all time.

Why? No Hawks team has made it past the second round since the move to Atlanta.

People act as if the Nique teams were some golden age. In reality, that team's peak was 57 wins during the regular season (followed by a 4-1 drubbing in the second round) and a 50-win regular season followed by a 7-game defeat in the second round. And the team never finished in the NBA's top third in attendance, so it's not like it was a golden age as far as a rockin house either. Our peak was lower than where the Magic and Nuggets are right now.

It is kind of sad that this team can be mentioned with the best Hawks teams of all time. But it can, because the Hawks have a rather depressing history.

Edited by niremetal

• Moderators

But it can, because the Hawks have a rather depressing history.

I think mediocre history is a better description. Our median team is a club around .500. We don't have a depressing history like the Clippers or Warriors over the last 30 years.

• Premium Member

I think mediocre history is a better description. Our median team is a club around .500. We don't have a depressing history like the Clippers or Warriors over the last 30 years.

Fair enough - conceded.

If we got our three key guys(JJ,Al and Josh) clicking like they were last night then we are a pretty tough team to beat. I'm really hoping we just sweep these guys because without Bogut they have no interior to speak of. Al and Josh should dominate in the post like they have and we'll be fine.

I think this team is definitely better offensively than teams past (up until Nique's team) but I think Deke's teams were much better defensively.

I guess it's what you value.

I'll take the defense. I love Al and his no quit but replace Al with Deke in his prime and Orlando / Cleveland would be very scared. We lose most of the time due to rebounding and interior D. Make no mistake, add a prime years Mutombo and remove any one of the Al, Josh or Marvin and this team is scary.

Edited by thecampster

• Premium Member

Why? No Hawks team has made it past the second round since the move to Atlanta.

People act as if the Nique teams were some golden age. In reality, that team's peak was 57 wins during the regular season (followed by a 4-1 drubbing in the second round) and a 50-win regular season followed by a 7-game defeat in the second round. And the team never finished in the NBA's top third in attendance, so it's not like it was a golden age as far as a rockin house either. Our peak was lower than where the Magic and Nuggets are right now.

It is kind of sad that this team can be mentioned with the best Hawks teams of all time. But it can, because the Hawks have a rather depressing history.

To put it mildly the Nique teams played against some of the best teams in the last 30 years of NBA history (at least) so the bar is a little higher for the current Hawks in the watered down modern era of the game.