• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe's Back: Get Ready for 6 More Years Of....

JackB1

6 more years of:

-dribble, dribble, dribble.....

-dribble, dribble, dribble.....get double teamed...wait too long...turn ball over

-forced fadeaway jumpers

-floaters in the lane instead of taking it strong to the hoop

-moping around with your head down like you are forced to be out there

-playing with zero emotion

-ball hogging

-killing the movement of our offense

-more dribble, dribble, dribble

-more last second forced shots turning into bricks

The Hawks made a major mistake by signing a 29 year old Joe Johnson to a 6 year contract and I am not happy about it. Anyone who thinks

1st year rookie head coach Larry Drew is going to change anything about Joe Johnson is really mistaken. This is a really depressing day..

• Like 2

6 more years of:

-dribble, dribble, dribble.....

-dribble, dribble, dribble.....get double teamed...wait too long...turn ball over

-forced fadeaway jumpers

-floaters in the lane instead of taking it strong to the hoop

-moping around with your head down like you are forced to be out there

-playing with zero emotion

-ball hogging

-killing the movement of our offense

-more dribble, dribble, dribble

-more last second forced shots turning into bricks

The Hawks made a major mistake by signing a 29 year old Joe Johnson to a 6 year contract and I am not happy about it. Anyone who thinks

1st year rookie head coach Larry Drew is going to change anything about Joe Johnson is really mistaken. This is a really depressing day..

You don't think the lack of an offensive system had anything to do with some of the things you stated above?

• Like 1

You don't think the lack of an offensive system had anything to do with some of the things you stated above?

Well I guess we'll find out. I don't know. Nobody is forcing Joe to dribble so much and tun his back and

start backing down his defender. Nobody else on the team plays like that. Hardly anyone else in the NBA

plays like that. You think "ISO Joe" is going to magically disappear just because Woodson is gone and

his assistant is now in charge? Doesn't seem likely.

Well I guess we'll find out. I don't know. Nobody is forcing Joe to dribble so much and tun his back and

start backing down his defender. Nobody else on the team plays like that. Hardly anyone else in the NBA

plays like that. You think "ISO Joe" is going to magically disappear just because Woodson is gone and

Yes I do. When a player isn't given so much freedom and there's a structured offense in place that has "trigger points" and "reads" as Drew keeps saying, I think there would be an increase in ball movement. I don't think Joe is selfish enough to want to play Iso Joe all game. Its just that when there's no other offensive philosophy and he's been forced to bail the team out for years (when JSmoove, Horford, and others weren't adequate enough offensively) you get used to it. There's gonna be growing pains but the pressure is on LD now to get the team and Joe out of that frame of mind and to install the new motion offense. Let's not forget Joe led the league in 3% shooting the year before he came to Atlanta. Let's bring that effective shooting back to the surface and turn him into an effective scorer rather than a volume shooter.

It's always comical to me when fans think they know what's going to happen a week from now much less 6 years down the road. :zipper: :grimace: :saythat:

Edited by HawkFoLife
  • Like 2

I wanted joe gone and think we paid to much but realistically we had no choice, if we did not sign him there is no possible way we could have paid for a comparable player and we would be a worse team next year. I cannot fault the hawks on this one there really is no one we could have got that would replace him. I hope we get a legit center and the new coaching staff finds better ways to utilize the talent we do have.

I'm relieved we keep Joe and am excited to see what he can do under a new coach.

6 years at the age of 29 isn't that bad for a player like Joe, because he doesn't rely on his athleticism to be effective. Those type of guys can play at a high level through their mid-30s.

• Like 1

I disagree. Woody was forcing Joe to dribble so much and turn his back and start backing down his defender. It was our best offense, because it was the only one. Otherwise, we would continue to have Smoove jacking up poor shots with Bibby/Marv standing in the corners. Horf's game is continuing to develop, and he's only been here half the time Joe has. Woody repeatedly, OVER and OVER stated during his six years here the Joe is "the man", "our horse", "our all-star", and "we're gonna ride him"... Joe was blatantly forced into "ISO Joe"...I dn't blame him one bit for hogging the ball or pouinding the hell out of it because he/we had no OTHER CHOICE offensively. And let's not forget, 53 wins. It says something.

I hated it. I yelled at the TV just like everyone else on the offensive end, but I don't blame Joe. He gets a lot of criticism, prolly deserved, but hey, he's making the most cheese, it comes with the territiory, After all, being "the man" deemed by your coach, you deal with it. That being said, I do agree with one thing, the ISO Joe is not gonna totally disappear. We can't expect that a full 180 change is realistic. I do hope we see improvements offensively, but we're not gonna bust out Phil's triangle in 5 months.

• Like 2

It's always comical to me when fans think they know what's going to happen a week from now much less 6 years down the road. :zipper: :grimace: :saythat:

My thoughts exactly!!!!

Wait, you forgot some.

6 more years of...

-two-inch vertical.

-calling out the fans who pay his salary.

-being the richest and least-liked athlete in Atlanta.

-being the slowest player in the Hawks starting five (once Teague is starting).

-being a supposed "star" but having no nickname (Smitty's "The Machine" hasnt stuck).

-dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, etc etc.

Wait, you forgot some.

6 more years of...

-two-inch vertical.

-calling out the fans who pay his salary.

-being the richest and least-liked athlete in Atlanta.

-being the slowest player in the Hawks starting five (once Teague is starting).

-being a supposed "star" but having no nickname (Smitty's "The Machine" hasnt stuck).

-dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, dribble, etc etc.

Don't you find it weird that the guy with a two inch vertical and the slowest player in the Hawks starting line-up is a perennial all-star? Obviously you don't have to dunk everything or be a track star to be effective. And when was it required to be given a nickname to be a "star"? Joe has played 350+ games for Atlanta, and other than one circumstance, he has had no problems with fans.

• Like 2

My thoughts exactly!!!!

Same here. If folks were tired of Iso-Joe and nothing else before, you would've really loved watching Jamal and Josh fight for the ball on every possession, Marvin stare blankly from the corner, and Horford blow a gasket come February from being ignored in the post all season long.

I said this in May and I'll say it again; JJ was and is our best option. While I'm not in favor of them paying him all that $$$, there is no one else, repeat, NO ONE ELSE of his calibre that the Hawks could sign to a free-agent deal if he leaves. As Rick Pitino would say, Chris Bosh isn't walking through that door, folks; neither is Lebron, D. Wade, Amare, Kevin Durant, or even John Salmons. You can put some of the blame on Woody for overly relying on JJ to bail him out time after time after time. You can put some of the blame on Billy Knight for selecting the wrong guys in the draft (Marvin, Shelden, Childress) and in free agency (see Claxton, Craig). But as they say, it is what it is...

Don't you find it weird that the guy with a two inch vertical and the slowest player in the Hawks starting line-up is a perennial all-star? Obviously you don't have to dunk everything or be a track star to be effective. And when was it required to be given a nickname to be a "star"? Joe has played 350+ games for Atlanta, and other than one circumstance, he has had no problems with fans.

I absolutely hate the argument that "If Joe has been an All-Star x number of times, that validates that he's a good player." We see guys every year who make it undeservedly. Joe is just the obvious choice on a team that steadily improved while he's played about 40 minutes for the most part since he's been here while barely posting 20, and there's a huge dropoff at 2 guard after Wade. You're giving the average to poor crop of coaches in the Eastern Conference way too much credit. That's only 14 opinions, you act like the entire NBA and it's alum are voting. I would never use what someone else thinks to base my argument. I hate Joe's offensive game regarless if Michael Jordan and Bill Russell declared him the most underrated player in the NBA. I know better.

• Premium Member

I'm relieved we keep Joe and am excited to see what he can do under a new coach.

6 years at the age of 29 isn't that bad for a player like Joe, because he doesn't rely on his athleticism to be effective. Those type of guys can play at a high level through their mid-30s.

Yup. That JJ relies on his athleticism less than almost every other SG in the league is a point quickly lost amongst the cabal of people rushing to compare JJ to failed shooting guards of years past.