• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Josh Smith this generation's Charles Barkley?

Joker

Okay, Barkley is better offensively than Smith and Smith better than Barkley defensively and in rebounding, Barkley has the edge without question. But they are both tweener PF who can't shoot. Both are uber athletes for their era. Both are very talented. Both have attitude issues. Smith is more durable and Barkley is tough as steak. Barkley career PER is killing Smith but Smith is a 3rd option with limited touches and came into the league at 18, Barkley 21. I want to see what he could do as a #1 or #2 option which he was for one season. I am not saying Smith is as good as Barkley was but he is in talks with Barkley, potential wise. Barkley PER is in adv. stats.

Charles Barkley

Josh Smith PER

Josh Smith

Opinions?

Edited by nbasuperstar40
  • Like 1

Okay, Barkley is better offensively than Smith and Smith better than Barkley defensively and in rebounding, Barkley has the edge without question. But they are both tweener PF who can't shoot. Both are uber athletes for their era. Both are very talented. Both have attitude issues. Smith is more durable and Barkley is tough as steak. Barkley career PER is killing Smith but Smith is a 3rd option with limited touches and came into the league at 18, Barkley 21. I want to see what he could do as a #1 or #2 option which he was for one season. I am not saying Smith is as good as Barkley was but he is in talks with Barkley, potential wise. Barkley PER is in adv. stats.

Charles Barkley

Josh Smith PER

Josh Smith

Opinions?

Stats and how players get them are two different things lol. Barkley had a solid midrange jumper that he would extend to the 3pt line for shits and giggles sometimes; but his real offensive gem .... did you ever see Barkleys back to the basket game? Until Smoove can back down anyone and everyone in the league, starting at about 15 ft to 18 ft out, lets not go here.

Edited by Buzzard

This isn't a neg topic, basically it's a discussion. You do not have to give negs if you do not agree, just an opinion. I did not even say that I believe Smith is Barkley or vice versa, just presented the topic.

Stats and how players get them are two different things lol. Barkley had a solid midrange jumper that he would extend to the 3pt line for shits and giggles sometimes; but his real offensive gem .... did you ever see Barkleys back to the basket game? Until Smoove can back down anyone and everyone in the league, starting at about 15 ft to 18 ft out, lets not go here.

Where did I say I felt Smith was better than Barkley outside of defense. Barkley 3pt% is on par with Smith's. Both at .266 for their careers. His jumper was better than Josh and he was an offensive gem, I never said otherwise. Smith back to the basket game is not bad, actually quite good but he's no Barkley and I never claimed he was. Barkley could create his shot and Smith couldn't as well. Like I said I never said Smith was as good as Barkley, I just put the topic out there for discussion.

This isn't a neg topic, basically it's a discussion. You do not have to give negs if you do not agree, just an opinion. I did not even say that I believe Smith is Barkley or vice versa, just presented the topic.

I dont give negs but I cannot fathom how you came up with the comparison unless you have never seen Barkley play. Smooves offensive game is closer to Big Ben with the exception that he runs the floor, passes, and dunks about 100 times better. 1/2 court offensive scoring for Smoove is closer to Big Ben. 1/2 court offense for Smoove compared to Barkley is not even a real disscisuuion IMO. So I am out on this one.

• Like 1

nba, I see where you were going with this. I believe Josh's defense is what makes him unlike any player I have seen in the last 20 years. Not saying he's the best but I can't recall a player who (when engaged) can stuff a stat sheet like Josh. Barkley did that on occasion, but his obvious strenghts were scoring and rebounding. I still think for his size (as he likes to say 6'4" and 3/8) he was one of the top 5 rebounders in history.

• Like 2

Where did I say I felt Smith was better than Barkley outside of defense. Barkley 3pt% is on par with Smith's. Both at .266 for their careers. His jumper was better than Josh and he was an offensive gem, I never said otherwise. Smith back to the basket game is not bad, actually quite good but he's no Barkley and I never claimed he was. Barkley could create his shot and Smith couldn't as well. Like I said I never said Smith was as good as Barkley, I just put the topic out there for discussion.

The title says this generations Barkley. I do not know how Smoove could be that unless he had Barkleys game. And he does not. Now that is my opinion on the topics title.

I dont give negs but I cannot fathom how you came up with the comparison unless you have never seen Barkley play. Smooves offensive game is closer to Big Ben with the exception that he runs the floor, passes, and dunks about 100 times better. 1/2 court offensive scoring for Smoove is closer to Big Ben. 1/2 court offense for Smoove compared to Barkley is not even a real disscisuuion IMO. So I am out on this one.

I agree that Smith will never reach Barkley level in terms of offense. I do feel Smith can be a 20-22 ppg scorer as a #1 but he's not a #1 on a legit team so he realistically is a 18-21ppg scorer as a #2 option. Barkley was a 25-28ppg scorer and a hell of a rebounder. A superior offensive option compared to Smith. Defensively, Smith is superior to Barkley and that's not changing any time soon.

The title says this generations Barkley. I do not know how Smoove could be that unless he had Barkleys game. And he does not. Now that is my opinion on the topics title.

I put a question mark basically asking a question. I did not put a period where then it would have been a statement as I did when I said Karl Malone and Al Horford are extremely similar at the same stage a couple months ago.

nba, I see where you were going with this. I believe Josh's defense is what makes him unlike any player I have seen in the last 20 years. Not saying he's the best but I can't recall a player who (when engaged) can stuff a stat sheet like Josh. Barkley did that on occasion, but his obvious strenghts were scoring and rebounding. I still think for his size (as he likes to say 6'4" and 3/8) he was one of the top 5 rebounders in history.

+1, thanks for getting what the meaning of the topic is.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

nice mix of one of my favorite players.

Being fair to both parties, Josh Smith highlights look the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--iCGQJMZeM

Charles Barkley

Josh Smith PER

Josh Smith

Opinions?

No . . he's this generation's version of Shawn Kemp . . even though he refuses to fully embrace his "Kemp-ness". If he did, Smoove could take his game to the next level. But to compare Smoove to Barkley is a disservice to Barkley. Smoove is a good, exciting player in the mold of Kemp. But Barkley flat out DOMINATED people.

Josh Smith

Shawn Kemp

No . . he's this generation's version of Shawn Kemp . . even though he refuses to fully embrace his "Kemp-ness". If he did, Smoove could take his game to the next level. But to compare Smoove to Barkley is a disservice to Barkley. Smoove is a good, exciting player in the mold of Kemp. But Barkley flat out DOMINATED people.

Josh Smith

Shawn Kemp

Good comparison, he is this gen's Shawn Kemp.

Josh Smith is good, but please don't insult Barkley. Until Josh Smith can average over 20 points a game at least once, or make an all-star team at least once, or lead his team to the Finals, or win MVP...until Josh Smith can do all of that, then there is no argument, Barkley >>>>>> Josh Smith.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Sir Charles is one of those guys in a video game you'd give 99 rating for low post and rebounding. He was insanely good. Like one of the top five best players almost every year in his prime in the entire NBA. There is no way Josh is in that category. Josh is a border line All star talent and Charles was a border line best EVER at his position.

Its like saying Roddy White is a good reciever, is he this generation's Jerry Rice? No...just no.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Charles Barkley

Josh Smith PER

Josh Smith

Opinions?

I would give you neg points too... but I won't. Those players are nothing alike. Had you said Smoove = Larry Nance, now that's a conversation that is worthy of the talk. However, Smoove - Barkley... I'm laughing.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Josh Smith

Shawn Kemp

I have to disagree respectfully. Kemp was a beast in the low post. Kemp may have been better than Karl Malone in the low post. Smoove is more like Larry Nance.

• Like 1