• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks still considering signing Shaq

Sothron

• Premium Member

Hawks beat writer Sekou Smith quotes one Hawks official as saying, "The Shaq situation is not a dead subject for us. We are still exploring the possibilities."

Shaq only wants to play for a contender and is looking for approximately $8 million per season, though he'll likely have to accept much less. The Hawks are one of the few teams to have consistently mulled the idea of signing the veteran center.

I wonder if the ASG are trying to get Paul and see how that works out and then see if Shaq would take less money to sign with a team that would have Paul, Joe Johnson and either Josh Smith or Horford?

• Like 3

I wonder if the ASG are trying to get Paul

Rofl........

Why do people continue to think we have the slightest chance of getting Chris Paul. Here, i'll answer it for you:

No, we will not get Chris Paul. But Shaq MIGHT just be a possibility if he takes less money, and no one else offers him what he wants. Only then will Shaq come here.

• Like 1

Hawks beat writer Sekou Smith quotes one Hawks official as saying, "The Shaq situation is not a dead subject for us. We are still exploring the possibilities."

Shaq only wants to play for a contender and is looking for approximately $8 million per season, though he'll likely have to accept much less. The Hawks are one of the few teams to have consistently mulled the idea of signing the veteran center.

I wonder if the ASG are trying to get Paul and see how that works out and then see if Shaq would take less money to sign with a team that would have Paul, Joe Johnson and either Josh Smith or Horford?

Didn't think CP wanted to play for Atl?

2) How often do people need to be reminded... Paul will be dealt only to whoever NOH perceives is able/willing to give NOH the best deal. It's like people automatically think he has some kind of no-trade clause just because this list has come out.

+1

• Like 1

Two things.

1) Told ya so. (i.e., Shaq issue not dead)

2) How often do people need to be reminded... Paul will be dealt only to whoever NOH perceives is able/willing to give NOH the best deal. It's like people automatically think he has some kind of no-trade clause just because this list has come out.

Yes, but Paul does have some leverage. Paul is scheduled to be a free agent in two seasons (I think ). If that is the case, the team that trades for him will want assurances from Paul that he will act in good faith and plan for a longer stint. If Paul tells a possible trade partner, for the NOH, that they will be getting a rental, it could affect NO's ability to make a deal.

So, if the Hawks are serious about obtaining CP3, they will have to convince CP3 that ATL is a desirable place for him to play the rest of his career. At this time, it seems that Paul has a short list that does not include the Hawks. Perhaps that is the strongest indication that the Hawks have not made a serious push to acquire CP3. Or, as suggested by Sothron, perhaps CP3 has talked to the Hawks and is waiting for them to attract a starting caliber Center and move Horford to PF.

• Premium Member

Yes, but Paul does have some leverage. Paul is scheduled to be a free agent in two seasons (I think ). If that is the case, the team that trades for him will want assurances from Paul that he will act in good faith and plan for a longer stint. If Paul tells a possible trade partner, for the NOH, that they will be getting a rental, it could affect NO's ability to make a deal.

NOH will have no trouble making a deal if that's what they decide to do. However, your point is well-taken that NOH might be able to expect more from those teams with whom he is willing to play for more than 2 years. That's only an advantage, though, if the other team has players/assets that NOH would desire. And again, it does not keep ATL or any other team from making a just-as-good-or-better offer than, say, ORL, even knowing that they would only be guaranteed those 2 years... ATL, in particular, is in a position to believe that they could win him over to staying.

Two things.

1) Told ya so. (i.e., Shaq issue not dead)

I guess we could send Horf for him cause they sure as hell will not take any non-all star that is making more than Paul. Unless they ( not us ) think that is the best deal they can get LMAO.

Edited by Buzzard

I guess we could send Horf for him cause they sure as hell will not take any non-all star that is making more than Paul. Unless they ( not us ) think that is the best deal they can get LMAO.

From what I have read on these boards, NOH are looking to dump Okafur's lousy contract. The Hornets will want a good player and financial relief. They will sell the trade to their fans by pointing out that CP3 was not going to stay with the team for the long haul.

ATL must be convinced that CP3 will become a fixture with the team. That means that CP3 must agree to buy into the long range plans of the Hawks. And, the Hawks must be convinced that CP3" knees are OK.

My guess is that the Hawks will offer Josh Smith, Mike Bibby and Jamal Crawford for CP3 and Emeka Okafur. The Hornets would get a player with great promotional potential (Smith), an expiring contract (as well as an experienced PG), and the best 6th man in the league. The Hawks will get saddled with a bulky Okafur contract, but they will finally have the PG that they have desperately needed for more years than I care to admit. The Okafur contract could present problems keeping Horford, but that sort of problem can be worked out over time.

Starting roster:

CP3

J Johnson

Marvin Williams

Al Horford

Emeka Okafur

Personally, I think that CP3 could make Marvin look more like the guy the Hawks thought they were drafting.

• Like 2

I would be thrilled if the Hawks could somehow trade for Chris Paul but has there been any news or indication from the Hawks management that they are interested in him?

We are not mentioned by any source/camp as a possible trade partner. IMO the Hornets nor Paul want anything to do with us. We really do not have many cheap, young, talented players. Josh Smith is a talented starter but he is not cheap; his contract is bigger than Pauls current contract. Which is why I am going to just start ignoring threads such as these until some source other than fans on the Squawk list us as a possible trade partner.

We might as well be reading and replying to post about getting LeBron from the Heat as far as I am concerned. Here is a source listing Orlando, Portland, Dallas and the Knicks as possible destinations.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2010/07/chris_pauls_agent_leon_rose_co.html

Edited by Buzzard

I wish there was a way to give an entire thread a thumbs down! :shake_puter:

"Oh CP3, TRADE SMOOVE, TRADE HORFORD, DO IT NOW DO IT NOW!!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU CP3!!!! :thumbsdownsmileyanim:

+1 :go ahead:

The neggin ppl for no reason needs to end.

• Like 1

We are not mentioned by any source/camp as a possible trade partner. IMO the Hornets nor Paul want anything to do with us. We really do not have many cheap, young, talented players. Josh Smith is a talented starter but he is not cheap; his contract is bigger than Pauls current contract. Which is why I am going to just start ignoring threads such as these until some source other than fans on the Squawk list us as a possible trade partner.

We might as well be reading and replying to post about getting LeBron from the Heat as far as I am concerned. Here is a source listing Orlando, Portland, Dallas and the Knicks as possible destinations.

http://www.nola.com/hornets/index.ssf/2010/07/chris_pauls_agent_leon_rose_co.html

CP3 contract is worth 10 million more than Smith and Okafor's is albatross. Smith is actually on an excellent deal compared to his performance. Okafor on video looks like a better Zaza but three times the price. Ugh. Now if we do this deal, we will be over the tax and Horford will push us way over as well. But CP3 should give us 95-100% ticket sales which compensates for that. That should pay for Shaq and Shaq should put us over completely with the tickets buyers.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

So, if the Hawks are serious about obtaining CP3, they will have to convince CP3 that ATL is a desirable place for him to play the rest of his career. At this time, it seems that Paul has a short list that does not include the Hawks. Perhaps that is the strongest indication that the Hawks have not made a serious push to acquire CP3. Or, as suggested by Sothron, perhaps CP3 has talked to the Hawks and is waiting for them to attract a starting caliber Center and move Horford to PF.

If they want a starting caliber center, a term that I absolutely hate since Atlanta already has a top 5 center in the game, why are they looking at Shaq? Shaq is not a starting caliber center any longer, unless you consider a player who will give you 15-20 minutes a night and 60 games a season a starter.

I completely disagree with this. If acquiring Chris Paul would give you a legit shot at playing in an NBA Finals, but you'd lose him in 2 years, you still make the move. If people are concerned about how good of a player JJ will be in 3 to 4 years, the time to go for it is NOW, while he's a top 15 - 20 player. The longer we wait to go for it, the less chance we'll even be in position to go for a championship.

I would take a 2 year rental on Chris Paul, and give up a core piece ( even if it's Josh Smith ), in a heartbeat. Let's see if Paul changes his mind, if the Hawks are successful and come close to winning a ring. I bet he would change his mind and stay here.

Edited by northcyde

If they want a starting caliber center, a term that I absolutely hate since Atlanta already has a top 5 center in the game, why are they looking at Shaq? Shaq is not a starting caliber center any longer, unless you consider a player who will give you 15-20 minutes a night and 60 games a season a starter.

PER 36 MINUTES

SHAQ: 18.5 ppg - 10.3 rebs - 2.3 asst - 1.8 blks - 57% FG

HORFORD: 14.5 ppg - 10.1 rebs - 2.4 asst - 1.2 blks - 55% FG

That's why.

PER 36 MINUTES

SHAQ: 18.5 ppg - 10.3 rebs - 2.3 asst - 1.8 blks - 57% FG

HORFORD: 14.5 ppg - 10.1 rebs - 2.4 asst - 1.2 blks - 55% FG

That's why.

But Shaq will never play 36 mins for the Hawks. You are comparing someone with superior ball usage in Shaq to a PnR PF playing C in Horford with the lowest usage of any all star last season by a mile.