• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jamal Crawford seeking an extensiona

TheNorthCydeRises

Well, he will have to wait like almost everyone else.

His expiring contract is the most valuable trade chip that Sund owns. He is not about to lose that chip by extending him early. Especially with a lockout looming.

Edited by coachx
  • Like 1

ITs unfortuante for Crawford that his breakout season came right as the Hawks are butting up against the luxury tax line and With Horford's contract looming I just don't see any chance at all that the Hawks extend him without knowing what the rules for the luxury tax will be under the new CBA.

Horford will be getting a new contract next year. So, likely , the only way we keep Jamal , and stay under the luxury tax would be to dump Bibby or Marvin's contract.

Can't you go aver the salary cap if the players already on your roster? and Mo Evans conrtact is coming off the books next year

• Moderators

ITs unfortuante for Crawford that his breakout season came right as the Hawks are butting up against the luxury tax line and With Horford's contract looming I just don't see any chance at all that the Hawks extend him without knowing what the rules for the luxury tax will be under the new CBA.

Agreed. See what the new CBA brings and what trades might be accomplished with Crawford's expiring deal. If Jordan Crawford emerges, this is not a spot on the roster that we can afford to pay $10M/year, IMO.

I would be very surprised if Crawford is with the Hawks past the trade deadline. That expiring contract is just too valuable a trading chip.

You know it would be nice if we didn't (as fans) have to worry about our team's financial structure...

• Premium Member

I guess I'm in the minority, but I hope Jamal retires as a Hawk.

I hope so too. But not at all costs.

Edited by niremetal

I guess I'm in the minority, but I hope Jamal retires as a Hawk.

I agree. Let's throw away a good talent and a really good guy like Jamal, but let's by all means grossly overpay to keep JJ, Bibby and Marvin. I am extremely puzzled as to why we wasted a draft pick on Jordan Crawford (a player at a position which we were already in good shape with JJ and Jamal) while giving away a promising SF (a position at which we are undermanned.)