• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Biggest Loss that the Hawks endured?

Scout200

• Premium Member

Game 7 vs the Celtics Bird vs Nique

That was our year

Yup. Exactly what I was thinking. Everything else - the trade of Nique (which happened while Turner still owned the team), the 'sale' to Time Warner, the trade for Rider, etc - seemed like a slow, painful death. But somehow, it all felt inevitable after Bird spun around Nique and hit the floater over Willis. The jumper in traffic that Nique hit over McHale was the high point, and it all went downhill from there.

Edited by niremetal

Oh my. How much bandwidth do we have???

Forget about Game 7 versus the Celtics. How about GAME 6 versus the Celtics here at the old Omni? I was there for that one and believe me, it was as painful as the Falcons/Cowboys playoff game in 1980 and Game 4 in the 1996 World Series versus the Yankees. That was our shot to put that old, tired dog of a Boston team down for good, only to watch Cliff Levingston throw up a left-handed hook shot that nearly cracked the backboard. Our team doesn't get it done and become also-rans; the Pistons knock them off, Bird's Celtics never challenge again, and Detroit goes on to win a pair of world titles.

Nique for Manning. Too easy.

The Lon Kruger era. Too easy.

Stan Kasten to Pete Babcock to Billy Knight. Wayyyyyyyyyyy too easy.

And the most painful losses of all...

Karl Malone. Fat Lever. Rolando Blackmon. Larry Nance. Robert Horry. Latrell Sprewell. Sam Cassell. Andrei Kirilenko. Manu Ginobili. Andre Iguodala. Chris Paul. Deron Williams. Those are some of the names that this franchise has passed over to select (insert stiff here) and make them millionaires.

And the most painful losses of all...

Karl Malone. Fat Lever. Rolando Blackmon. Larry Nance. Robert Horry. Latrell Sprewell. Sam Cassell. Andrei Kirilenko. Manu Ginobili. Andre Iguodala. Chris Paul. Deron Williams. Those are some of the names that this franchise has passed over to select (insert stiff here) and make them millionaires.

Add:

Brandon Roy, Rajon Rondo, Luol Deng, Rudy Gay, Rodrique Beaubois, Danny Granger, Kendrick Perkins, Josh Howard, trading Pau Gasol, etc.

i've been a fan since the steve smith days so i don't know much about the celtics series in the 80s but for me...

game- the one where we let utah come back from over 20 to humiliate us (low point of the season, the dreaded 7pt play)

offseason - 2 come to mind, trading the 2nd pick (Gasol for SAR) and letting the world know we were taking sheldon williams (why???)

I'm tempted to say the loss to Utah when we started the 4th with a 27 point (if I remember right) lead. That was the night Salim gave up the clearpath on the way to a 7-point play and we folded like Wal-Mart lawn chairs.

Still - the biggest loss for our current team was not one game - but 4 games. It was the epic playoff sweep last year. The Hawks had earned some solid respect throughout the year and were thought of as contender-ish. We were finally getting Nat.TV games some.

While most would expect the record for massive points-differential in a playoff sweep to be between a #1seed against a #8seed - we did it in the second round. We survived and advanced against Milw. and then were blasted off the face of the earth against ORL (who then lost...to add insult to injury).

I think that if we had lost 4-2 in mostly competitive games we would still have some defenders and some national pundits saying stuff like "watch out for the Hawks...an up-and-coming force in the East". All that was lost in those four games.:kickcan: