• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Horford extension in danger?

HawksBalla

50/50 is better than anything below 50/50. So it's not a bad thing till the date.

• Premium Member

After another lackluster game vs Dwight Howard, his asking price may have to be adjusted.

Exactly. All this max talk needs to stop, at least for right now. To be fair, I think Horf is still hurt though. But I at least expect to see better post moves than the robotic stuff he was struggling to pull off last night. Even if the offense as a whole sucked, I still would like to see individual improvement from the players. I didn't see much to be excited about from Horf last night. But again to be fair, he may still be hurting a bit.

Exactly. All this max talk needs to stop, at least for right now. To be fair, I think Horf is still hurt though. But I at least expect to see better post moves than the robotic stuff he was struggling to pull off last night. Even if the offense as a whole sucked, I still would like to see individual improvement from the players. I didn't see much to be excited about from Horf last night. But again to be fair, he may still be hurting a bit.

I believe many here have overstated Al's abilities. His "All-Star" selection was questionable then and now.

I just hope we trade someone before the season is over. Jamal contract is too valuable not to be used in bait.

Jamal's contract only has real value if you are willing to take back a longer contract in return. But the Hawks aren't likely to do that unless its for a true star. If the Hawks insist on only taking back expiring contracts (so they can afford Horford) then Jamal's trade value isn't that high.

I am still holding out hope that after the Nuggets trade Carmelo that there is a Crawford/Billups trade possibility. That the Nuggets want to turn the reigns over to Lawson and that Billups might be the kind of guard that the ASG would be willing to pay some tax for.

Once again. Orlando lost Shaq because he was supposed to be a restricted free agent. But the new CBA at the time made him unrestricted and he was free to go to the Lakers. For the people who want to see Horford play out the season are they really willing to take the risk that Horford leaves as an unrestricted free agent? The rules of restricted free agency are decided completely based on the CBA- and no one knows what the CBA will say.

I don't expect that the new CBA will get rid of RFA but the point is that we don't know what its going to say. We also have no idea what would happen if the union decertified (like the NFL union looks likely to do). I just think that people are assuming that Horford would be a restricted free agent and teams have gotten burned badly by that in the past.

Edited by spotatl
  • Like 1

Once again. Orlando lost Shaq because he was supposed to be a restricted free agent. But the new CBA at the time made him unrestricted and he was free to go to the Lakers. For the people who want to see Horford play out the season are they really willing to take the risk that Horford leaves as an unrestricted free agent? The rules of restricted free agency are decided completely based on the CBA- and no one knows what the CBA will say.

I don't expect that the new CBA will get rid of RFA but the point is that we don't know what its going to say. We also have no idea what would happen if the union decertified (like the NFL union looks likely to do). I just think that people are assuming that Horford would be a restricted free agent and teams have gotten burned badly by that in the past.

Good points. Without a CBA, both players and management are in Catch-22s. Personnally, a Smith-like deal seems about right. Horford isn't an elite player, not even in the JJ level. He's like a 3rd tier guy. Great to have on a team, but you really can't build around him.

frogsgrim. The thing is that its highly likely that a team like phoenix would offer horford the max just to see if the Hawks would match it. Its a situation where you have to pay more than market value in order for a team not to match.

But I'll also say that I was convinced that Philly would do the same for Josh Smith when he it free agency and instead they went after Elton Brand. Of course in restrospect they would have been far better off throwing the money at Josh Smith but I'll just say that I have been wrong about this before.

• Moderators

My guess is that the owners have a good idea whether there is any risk of losing the RFA. A more likely scenario is one where owners have additional rights to restrict free agency like the NFL franchise player designation, etc.

frogsgrim. The thing is that its highly likely that a team like phoenix would offer horford the max just to see if the Hawks would match it. Its a situation where you have to pay more than market value in order for a team not to match.

But I'll also say that I was convinced that Philly would do the same for Josh Smith when he it free agency and instead they went after Elton Brand. Of course in restrospect they would have been far better off throwing the money at Josh Smith but I'll just say that I have been wrong about this before.

Yes, without the CBA in place you don't have as good an idea of what will happen. I wouldn't doubt that a team would through max dollars at Horford. I suspect Horford's agent knows this as well. This means unless Horford wants to be magnomous, he can afford to not sign the extension and let the market dictate his price. The other thing is, do we really know if Horford is even interested in staying with the ASG for another 5 years?