• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin = 15-7-1....is that enough to drop the bust label

thecampster

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Marvin is going to benefit from the new offense as much as anyone. He had 15 points, but only took 6 shots, and made 5 of them. I think as it becomes easier for everyone, Marvin will get more looks.

Despite the stats, I was more impressed with him on the other end. I've always thought he was our best on the ball defender, and he showed it. He locked down Rudy Gay! Loved his play defensively.

• Like 2

I'm not sure Marv was ever considered a bust in the classic sense of the word. But having said that, he will never live up to being the second pick in the draft. What he we have is a solid Small Forward who will have a long career in the NBA. At least he's not Kwame Brown or Shelden Williams.

Or Hasheem Thabeet LOL

• Like 1

Marvin may not deserve to be dogged per say but the people who picked him do to this point.

I was thinking of starting a thread about this subject - the excuses are over for marvin. If he doesn't produce this year its on him.

To this point its been bk, woody, the local florist's fault etc etc

• Premium Member

Marvin may not deserve to be dogged per say but the people who picked him do to this point.

I was thinking of starting a thread about this subject - the excuses are over for marvin. If he doesn't produce this year its on him.

To this point its been bk, woody, the local florist's fault etc etc

Here is the thing that gets me...Even when he has produced in the past, posters here ignore it. Sure he had a bad year last year but the year before he produced even in that stupid Iso-Woody offense. 2 years ago Marvin had one of the best mid range shots in the game. But anyway lets not dwell in the past. My statement hold true, "Death, taxes and Marvin Bashing"

• Like 1

• Moderators

18, 8, and 3 season-long averages would leave me feeling verklempt. (Talk amongst yourselves!)

There's no reason why he can't become the second-leading scorer on this squad, with this offense, if he applies himself. It's awfully good to see him trying.

~lw3

I'm not sure Marv was ever considered a bust in the classic sense of the word. But having said that, he will never live up to being the second pick in the draft. What he we have is a solid Small Forward who will have a long career in the NBA. At least he's not Kwame Brown or Shelden Williams.

agreed! Not a bust but definitely not #2 pick material.

• Moderators

It is just one game but if we go with the premise of t he poll which was asking if Marvin averaging 15 ppg, 7 rpg and 1 bpg on good shooting %s while playing very good defense removes the bust label, I think the answer is "yes." At that point, everyone should acknowledge that he is never going to live up to Deron Williams and Chris Paul (I think we are already there on this part of it) and that he is a desirable starter at the SF position. If he hits the level of desirable starter (and he hasn't yet), then I think he no longer can have the bust label. Just a good player with lower expectations than when he was drafted.

He is still going to need to step out of his shell some and be more aggressive to do that. 6 FGA/gm isn't going to cut it.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Thee one thing that people don't really talk about when discussing his performance, is how he puts up decent games. It is the only thing that gives me hope that he can be more than serviceable. Marvin seems to just float through games. Whether he's making shots or just standing around, he's always moving at the same speed. I mean, you look at that game last night and did you really notice him? There were a couple of very good rebounds, but his points always come quietly. Marvin can pretty much sleepwalk to 10ppg (which is exactly what he did last year). With just a little more focus and more freedom in the offense, 15ppg doesn't seem unreasonable at all - and I would not call that a bust. The question is, can he develop the killer instinct and just go our there and get his shots? If he had the mentality of either of our Crawfords, he'd put up some impressive numbers.

In the context of where he was picked, he will always be a bust unless he becomes Kobe Bryant or LBJ. In this case you have to compare him to available talent, and him being picked before available, All-NBA, franchise PGs will always = busted pick.

Marvin will always be considered a "bust" by the masses. When you're the #2 overall pick and you don't come out averaging 20+ or whatever is expected people are going to dog you. Fact is, Marvin isn't a bad player by any means, he's just never going to wow you like Josh or JJ or Jamal with a big play. Let's not get too excited yet, we've only played one game. But if Marvin can average these kind of numbers all year, I'd be extremely pleased with that, regardless of whether or not other still see him as a "bust."

• Premium Member

Marvin will always be considered a "bust" by the masses. When you're the #2 overall pick and you don't come out averaging 20+ or whatever is expected people are going to dog you. Fact is, Marvin isn't a bad player by any means, he's just never going to wow you like Josh or JJ or Jamal with a big play. Let's not get too excited yet, we've only played one game. But if Marvin can average these kind of numbers all year, I'd be extremely pleased with that, regardless of whether or not other still see him as a "bust."

Y'know...I don't see any reason why Marvin can't wow people. He has better handles than Smoove, a much better shot, and is very athletic too. And yet...*crickets*

As far as what is expected of a #2 pick, it's nothing less than franchise talent. To be honest, 1-10 most GMs expect they are drafting a guy that can be a #1 or #2 goto type player - or they surely hope so. Historically, looking at guys picked in there...you'll find your All-NBA types. Very few players that have led teams to the playoff promised lands have come outside of the top 10 - let alone top 2? Forget about it... It's not guaranteed that a guy is going to become LeBron or Magic Johnson, but it's pretty much guaranteed you won't find them outside of the top 10. At #2, though no fault of his own, Marvin inherited some godly expectations. Expectations from the greatest players to ever suit up for any team.

He has had time to prove if he is a franchise talent. PLENTY of time. Though he may not have had the right opportunity. Opportunity being a coach that pushed him and an offense that is open to him. He has both this year, as well as the time factor. We will certainly see his ceiling.

...and yes, I think most people not named Diesel would be happy with a consistent 15/7 from him.

Edited by Wretch