• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Marvin = 15-7-1....is that enough to drop the bust label

thecampster

40 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Premium Member

Am I the only one that recalls Marvin averaging ~15 and 6 in 35 mpg for the 2007-08 season? He was still getting dogged daily on this board.

That's correct. But that was when he was still being judged by where he was picked. Now that people have 'lowered expectations' after a very mediocre season by Marv last year, 15ppg and 6rpg would be excellent in comparison. I still say he is a very solid SF, but at the same time I think with his skills and athleticism, he could be so much more. Unfortunately, I can say with some confidence that dramatic change to superstar level play will NEVER happen. Marvin is who he is. It's his mentality. That's the only thing separating him from guys like Jamal Mashburn, Danny Granger, Rudy Gay, or even a Corey Magette. I'm not saying there's anything 'wrong' with Marv's mentality. I'm just saying it's time to accept Marv for who/what he is.

I still don't get why people consider Marvin to be a bust. Busts are guys who come in and are total disasters where there is no justification for them being taken anywhere close to where they were selected. Guys who have their 4th year team option declined or who aren't even given a qualifying offer when they hit FA. Marvin signed for another 40 million dollars after he hit FA- thats not a wasted draftpick.

• Premium Member

I still don't get why people consider Marvin to be a bust. Busts are guys who come in and are total disasters where there is no justification for them being taken anywhere close to where they were selected. Guys who have their 4th year team option declined or who aren't even given a qualifying offer when they hit FA. Marvin signed for another 40 million dollars after he hit FA- thats not a wasted draftpick.

I agree with this. I remember this kid Corleone Young out of Hargrave Military Academy who was heavily hyped and drafted by Detroit. Now that kid was a bust. Anyone who can come in and have a long, productive career in the NBA doesn't qualify for bust status. That's why I don't view Marvin as a bust. Even if he averaged 10ppg and 5rpg for his career I wouldn't consider him a bust. 10 and 5 is pretty average for a SF but it's solid.

• Moderators

Am I the only one that recalls Marvin averaging ~15 and 6 in 35 mpg for the 2007-08 season? He was still getting dogged daily on this board.

The differences are that:

(a) Marvin shot no 3's then and didn't space the floor;

(b) Marvin scored at a .540 TS% that season which isn't that good - he matched that last season;

© the move from 5.7 to 7.0 rpg is a 23% increase in rebounding;

(d) Marvin is a better defender now.

Apart from lowered expectations, I think the season described by the original poster would be significantly better than the 2007-08 season.

I agree with this. I remember this kid Corleone Young out of Hargrave Military Academy who was heavily hyped and drafted by Detroit.

Me and my brother were talking about busts the other day and I couldn't remember this cats name for anything! I remember his highlights, the hype and that he was drafted by Detroit but couldn't remember the name. Appreciate it hawkman LoL

But yeah, Marvin has never been a bust to me, just not Deron or CP...

Edited by PlayaPat420

• Premium Member

MISSING

marvinwill244.jpg

Name: Marvin Gay Williams

Classification: Endangered Missing Hawk

Alias / Nickname: Clumsy

Date of Birth: 1981-05-20

Date Missing: 2010-10-27

From City/State: Breamerton, WA

Missing From (Country): USA

Age at Time of Disappearance: 24

Race: Black

Height: 6'9"

Weight: 240 pounds

Hair Color: Black

Eye Color: Brown

Complexion: Medium

Glasses/Contacts Description: Clear contacts.

Identifying Characteristics: Lots of tatoos.

Jewelry: Possibly wearing a diamond earring.

Circumstances of Disappearance: After having a good opening game, starting in game two, Marvin played 34 Minutes and did very little..The word on the street is that this is a normal circumstance however, fans of Marvin G. Williams believed that this was the year that he would finally break out.

Investigative Agency: Atlanta Spirit Group and Atlanta Hawks Fans.

Phone: (404 235-5300

Alternate Phone: (404) 246-2962

Investigative Case #: 06-32039

NCIC #: D-95548802

• Like 1

• Premium Member

MISSING

marvinwill244.jpg

Circumstances of Disappearance: After having a good opening game, starting in game two, Marvin played 34 Minutes and did very little..The word on the street is that this is a normal circumstance however, fans of Marvin G. Williams believed that this was the year that he would finally break out.

OBSESSED

diesellogo1.jpg

Name: Diesel

Classification: Dude Who Spends Way Too Much Time Posting on a Freaking Blog About Marvin Williams

Alias / Nickname: "That guy who can't stop talking about Marvin"

Date of Birth: Unknown

Date Stalking Began: 1981-05-21 (ballpark)

From City/State: Homecourt, Hawksquawk

Missing From (Country): The Series of Tubes

Age at Time of Disappearance: Too old to spend this much time talking about an middling player making a middling salary

Complexion: Can't be very good if he spends all his time in front of a computer screen

Glasses/Contacts Description: Probably something conducive to staring at a computer screen all day

Identifying Characteristics: Unable to restrain himself from bashing the target of his obsession for every mistake, but strangely unable to give him real credit for the things he does well

Investigative Agency: Exasperated Hawksquawk Bloggers

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 2

• Premium Member

Marvin is pretty bad. I mean, sure there are worse player in the league but 99.999999% of them were picked after the second pick in the draft. If Marvin can average 10 points and around 7 boards and shoot close to 50% while hitting 35% of his threes I will consider this season a humongous success for Marvin... Which should really only highlight the fact of how dissapointing he has been. (Wasn't this guy supposed to be the most talented player in his draft, wasn't he a sure bet to average 20 points?) .

The guy is still a bust in my book, until he prove he can AT LEAST be a very good second option for us (which I don't see happening ever honestly) I will continue to view him as a bust When you don't live up to 1/10th of your draft hype I'm pretty sure that it is reasonable for some people to view you as a bust. Sure there have been bigger disappointments than Marvin in draft history but it's not like there's been a ton of worse #2 picks over the years. The recent ones that are worse than Marvin are either considered massive busts or are on their way to being considered busts.

MISSING

marvinwill244.jpg

hatersgonnahate.jpg

• Like 1

• Premium Member

hatersgonnahate.jpg

Oh, I readily admit that I am a Hater!!!

No shame whatsoever...

In fact, I don't know why all Hawks fans are not haters.

We will spend over 53 Million dollars to a guy who spent the first 6 years of his career being a bust and will spend the next few years of his career signing checks and holding down a spot doing nothing.

I was watching the game last night and I switched to see what other teams were doing. I switched over to the N.O. vs. Denver game... and while watching, I saw our box score scroll across the bottom of the screen... It says JJ - 18, Jamal = 17, Horf = 12, Smoove = 9. Then as i continued watching I saw Chris Paul be one of the most dominating players in the game and I said to myself, we could have had Paul, Joe, Smoove.... We would have won a championship by now.

Instead we got Marvin and his excuses and the people who make excuses for him. Yep, I'm a hater. In fact, as a Hawks fan, why aren't you a hater too? You actually defend 53 Million dollars 6 points, 7 rebounds while starting and playing 32 Mins? How can you defend that... Please don't say his great defense. Last night Ai has his way with Marvin the great.

hater_136.png

• Like 2

I can't justify giving diesel a hard time any longer over the marvin bashing. That is unless everyone wants to agree and stop defending marvin.

Marvin shot threes last night which he is not good at as opposed to attacking the rim which he can do with some measure of success.

The points he did manage to score were from getting in the lane.

If its the way his position is used in the offense then ship him out of here and get us a shooter.

Oh, I readily admit that I am a Hater!!!

No shame whatsoever...

In fact, I don't know why all Hawks fans are not haters.

We will spend over 53 Million dollars to a guy who spent the first 6 years of his career being a bust and will spend the next few years of his career signing checks and holding down a spot doing nothing.

I was watching the game last night and I switched to see what other teams were doing. I switched over to the N.O. vs. Denver game... and while watching, I saw our box score scroll across the bottom of the screen... It says JJ - 18, Jamal = 17, Horf = 12, Smoove = 9. Then as i continued watching I saw Chris Paul be one of the most dominating players in the game and I said to myself, we could have had Paul, Joe, Smoove.... We would have won a championship by now.

Instead we got Marvin and his excuses and the people who make excuses for him. Yep, I'm a hater. In fact, as a Hawks fan, why aren't you a hater too? You actually defend 53 Million dollars 6 points, 7 rebounds while starting and playing 32 Mins? How can you defend that... Please don't say his great defense. Last night Ai has his way with Marvin the great.

hater_136.png

I like Marvin, he a good role player. He has talent but like Darko, it's mental with him. He wasn't ready when he left college and his career will struggle because of it. His talent said he should be way better than what he is but he isn't. Either way, he's too important to trade for us. 6 and 7 isn't that bad man and his 1st game was 15/7. Not bad. Either way, you will hate Marvin, I was one of the most pissed guys when we passed up on CP3 and Deron but guess what. You can't change history and it is what it is.

• Premium Member

I like Marvin, he a good role player. He has talent but like Darko, it's mental with him. He wasn't ready when he left college and his career will struggle because of it. His talent said he should be way better than what he is but he isn't. Either way, he's too important to trade for us.

TOO important to trade?

What?

Too important to trade?

Really? Really?!

We're talking about trading Jamal Crawford who averaged 18 ppg last year and was the 6th man of the year... and you have designated non-impact Marvin as "TOO IMPORTANT TO TRADE"...

When did this stop being about basketball?

Everybody is tradable.

Especially players with large contracts and no impact.

Now prior to your post, I hadn't mentioned trading Marvin... However, your Freudian slip means that you know in your heart that trading Marvin should be a strong consideration. It's not that Marvin put up 6 and 7 in 32 minutes (alone).. it's that Marvin made absolutely no impact (as usual). We could probably get 6 and 7 from Josh Powell. Needless to say, I wouldn't pay that much for that 6 and 7... but make an impact. Help the team out. Marvin is a decoy that no other team respects.

I like Marvin, he a good role player. He has talent but like Darko, it's mental with him. He wasn't ready when he left college and his career will struggle because of it. His talent said he should be way better than what he is but he isn't. Either way, he's too important to trade for us. 6 and 7 isn't that bad man and his 1st game was 15/7. Not bad. Either way, you will hate Marvin, I was one of the most pissed guys when we passed up on CP3 and Deron but guess what. You can't change history and it is what it is.

More games like tonight and shipping him off might be the best option.