• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Josh Smith Trade Rumors Thread

Guest Squawker

• Premium Member

If we trade Josh Smith for Kevin Love, Rip Hamilton, or whatever that's the worse trade in team history. Even worse than the Nique trade because of where it was in Nique's career and because of the upside of this team which has perhaps the most in franchise history. I don't think our front office is that stupid, otherwise they wouldn't have built this team up like this in the first place.

I mean if you assume that Flynn is going to be a stud then I understand the trade. But that's a pretty humongous IF in my mind.

• Premium Member

He also leads the team in stupid play.

You mean like the put-back dunk to win the game? or are you referring to his 173 stupid blocks? Or maybe to his 130 steals? We don't win 45 games without Smith last year and we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs two of the last three years. The guy had HALF of the entire teams blocks and 25% percent of the teams steals while grabbing 9 rebounds and 16 points on 50% shooting. So please sir, who do we trade Josh Smith that can not only give us everything we are giving up (9 rebounds, 16 points, 50% shooting, 2 blocks 1,5 steals) but actually improves on those numbers:

Hint = outside of Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, and Gasole NO ONE.

jack, you really need to get a clue and quit believing all these garbage articles. They are just re-printing everything Ford on ESPN said Monday. He knows nothing about the Hawks or our plans. We will NOT trade Smoove unless it's for Paul or another star player. Smoove is only 24yrs old and still has enormous upside on a good contract. He isn't going anywhere...

• Moderators

If the Hawks could get a starting C for Smith, you wouldn't jump on it?

Not if it wasn't the right one. There are a lot of starting centers that are placeholders that don't come close to Smith's impact. I also think Horford is a plus center in the NBA right now.

Here are some starting centers from the Atlantic and Northwestern divisions (starting at least so far this season) that I would instantly turn down for Smoove:

Timofey Mozgov

Marcus Camby

Nene Hilario

Darko Millicic

Shaquille O'Neal

Andrea Bargnani

Spencer Hawes

etc.

You mean like the put-back dunk to win the game? or are you referring to his 173 stupid blocks? Or maybe to his 130 steals? We don't win 45 games without Smith last year and we probably wouldn't have made the playoffs two of the last three years. The guy had HALF of the entire teams blocks and 25% percent of the teams steals while grabbing 9 rebounds and 16 points on 50% shooting. So please sir, who do we trade Josh Smith that can not only give us everything we are giving up (9 rebounds, 16 points, 50% shooting, 2 blocks 1,5 steals) but actually improves on those numbers:

Hint = outside of Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, and Gasole NO ONE.

For every Josh Smith block (3-5 per game) there are just as many missed foul shots, missed long jumpers or defensive lapses. So yes, its great that he blocks shots and makes a steal now and then. But he negates those with turnovers, missed foul shots or missing shots he shouldn't be taking in the first place. So to replace Smith, basically we just have to replace his 15 pts a game and 9 rebounds a game, whcih shouldn't be too hard. Josh Powell could probably do it if he played Smith's minutes.

If i remember right Smith has a trade kicker in his contract which i think means that the team that takes him in would have to pay more than he is currently making. I don't remember the exact amount of the kicker though and he can definitely be traded without his consent.

For every Josh Smith block (3-5 per game) there are just as many missed foul shots, missed long jumpers or defensive lapses. So yes, its great that he blocks shots and makes a steal now and then. But he negates those with turnovers, missed foul shots or missing shots he shouldn't be taking in the first place. So to replace Smith, basically we just have to replace his 15 pts a game and 9 rebounds a game, whcih shouldn't be too hard. Josh Powell could probably do it if he played Smith's minutes.

Your methodology is irrefutable, I'll give you that, {/sarcasm}

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I was reading Josh Smith trade proposals everywhere since Horf signing. If I believed that we did need to make space by trading Smoove, here's how I would do it.

I title this: A JOSH SMITH TRADE THAT WORKS.

Josh, Marvin, 2011 First to Denver.

Melo (resigned), Birdman to NJ.

Brook Lopez, Troy Murphy to US.

What we get is a real, live, studly Center who plays both ends of the floor. We also get Murphy who represents 10 Million dollars walking out at the end of the year.

What Denver get is the best possible value that they can get for a disgruntled Melo.

What NJ gets is the new face of their team. A name that they can take to Brooklyn. Devin Harris, Melo, Favors. They can tighten up their Center Choice next. NJ is still in the building phase and what better building piece than Melo... a guy who wants to be there!!

Back to us:

Lopez, Horf, JJ, Craw, and Teague.

Bibby, JCraw2, Powell, and Zaza off the bench.

That's the 5 that will compete with Miami, Boston, and Orlando.

There's no weakness in this lineup.

We have post scoring.

We have defense.

We have outside shooting.

We have speed.

It would be more impactful than Rasheed going to the Pistons.

Aside from Marvin for Brewer, this is my favorite trade of the moment.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I was reading Josh Smith trade proposals everywhere since Horf signing. If I believed that we did need to make space by trading Smoove, here's how I would do it.

I title this: A JOSH SMITH TRADE THAT WORKS.

Josh, Marvin, 2011 First to Denver.

Melo (resigned), Birdman to NJ.

Brook Lopez, Troy Murphy to US.

What we get is a real, live, studly Center who plays both ends of the floor. We also get Murphy who represents 10 Million dollars walking out at the end of the year.

What Denver get is the best possible value that they can get for a disgruntled Melo.

What NJ gets is the new face of their team. A name that they can take to Brooklyn. Devin Harris, Melo, Favors. They can tighten up their Center Choice next. NJ is still in the building phase and what better building piece than Melo... a guy who wants to be there!!

Back to us:

Lopez, Horf, JJ, Craw, and Teague.

Bibby, JCraw2, Powell, and Zaza off the bench.

That's the 5 that will compete with Miami, Boston, and Orlando.

There's no weakness in this lineup.

We have post scoring.

We have defense.

We have outside shooting.

We have speed.

It would be more impactful than Rasheed going to the Pistons.

Aside from Marvin for Brewer, this is my favorite trade of the moment.

I'd trade Josh in a heartbeat to get Lopez.

Lopez wasn't on the market for CP3 much less Josh Smith.