• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson questionable for Wed. game

GameTime

JJ needs to take a few games off. He has not been himself all season. We hear that he has

a sore hand. Maybe this is just another part of his problem showing up.

Hawks need JJ. We need a healthy JJ. Keep him out until he's well. I'd rather he stay out a month

now and heal, if it means getting our old JJ back, rather than keep throwing him out there when

he's not 100% healthy and hope for the best.

:angel19:

• Like 1

I dont know why Drew is so afraid to sit him? We have won many games with him shooting 4-16.

We need him healthy for the long haul. Didn't he witness Woody wearing him out season after season????

We've won many games with him shooting 4-16, because he's still been our best assists guy and best man to man defender. Wait until you see Bibby and Jamal out there defending on the wings for an extended amount of time. You'll see what I mean. Probably see a lot more of Mo at sg, and Josh Smith at sf.

I would like to see Jordan starting. I know it's risky, but can he be bigger vulnerability than Jamal on D? On offense he just needs to hit open shots - an opportunity which he didn't have so far in short time he was on the court.

Of course he would play less minutes than Jamal anyway.

I dont know why Drew is so afraid to sit him? We have won many games with him shooting 4-16.

We need him healthy for the long haul. Didn't he witness Woody wearing him out season after season????

Drew suffers from the same problem Woodson did: he has to win today to keep his job tomorrow. This is one of the reasons that Drew should never have been hired. The Hawks should have hired an established coach with a good contract. Part of being a good NBA HC is the willingness to give up a few games to win longer-term. Drew is on a fireable contract so he feels he has to win every game, thus he plays JJ when JJ should have been rested. Another wonderful move by the ASG- penny wise, pound foolish.

Drew suffers from the same problem Woodson did: he has to win today to keep his job tomorrow. This is one of the reasons that Drew should never have been hired. The Hawks should have hired an established coach with a good contract. Part of being a good NBA HC is the willingness to give up a few games to win longer-term. Drew is on a fireable contract so he feels he has to win every game, thus he plays JJ when JJ should have been rested. Another wonderful move by the ASG- penny wise, pound foolish.

I'm afraid you are right. Started out looking a lot more bold than he doe now. Now he seems more and more worried about his job. Before long he will be looking more and more like Woody. Since he's got such a low contract, firing him is a lot easier than would be otherwise.

I'm afraid you are right. Started out looking a lot more bold than he doe now. Now he seems more and more worried about his job. Before long he will be looking more and more like Woody. Since he's got such a low contract, firing him is a lot easier than would be otherwise.

Yeah it's kind of a Catch-22. If you are gonna hire the assistant of the guy you fired as (first time) head coach, you would be silly to give him a big longterm contract without really knowing what he can do. OTOH, a short, low dollar contract puts the new guy on the semi-hot seat from the gitgo.

On the positive side for LD, he doesn't have to endure the 13 and 26 win seasons...so even if he doesn't do anything spectacular in his first job he should easily have a winning record for his first coaching stint.

• Admin

I would like to see Jordan starting. I know it's risky, but can he be bigger vulnerability than Jamal on D? On offense he just needs to hit open shots - an opportunity which he didn't have so far in short time he was on the court.

Of course he would play less minutes than Jamal anyway.

I expect to see Mo start at SG. He plays better there and I bet they want to keep Jamal's instant offense off the bench. JC2 might get some minutes though.

I expect to see Mo start at SG. He plays better there and I bet they want to keep Jamal's instant offense off the bench. JC2 might get some minutes though.

Yep cap - that would be the smart thing to do. Mo does hustle and doesn't jack threes that much unless it's garbage time. If he plays well we can win.

• Premium Member

Larry Drew and the whole organization look like complete retards right now. You spend 120 million over six years on a player and you make him go out there and play on an injury that may or may not become aggravated during the first three weeks of the first season of his contract?! :blink:

Not to mention Joe Johnson 'aint exactly a spring chicken at age 29. You'd think when you have a guy on the hook up to his 35th birthday you would take every precaution to ensure that you keep him as fresh and healthy as possible, but, oh well.... I guess my wish of finally having a coach that isn't a complete parody of a professional competent head coach was a bit much to ask for this season.

• Like 1

That's what I also expect, but I believe Marvin's knee is not fully healed. If Jordan starts we have a back up that can play extended minutes at 3 while playing Smooth at this position means more time play for Powell and/or Zaza/Collins (in case Al plays PF for some time). Our bench bigs suck so I'd rather see Jordan out there, plus, in case it doesn't work, Drew has at least an excuse for making risky move.

I was hoping LD wouldn't reproduce Woody's mistake and would stay focused on play offs: preserve JJ's health and energy and develop youngs when mistakes cost less but blow outs against Boston and Milwaukee made him much more conservative and short sighted.

Remember what happened the last time someone said that?

If you don't remember check the "classic threads " forum for

a thread started by Mvp23

I think it's a fair assumption that Marvin isn't likely to bust out just because Joe isn't playing, although it's impossible to know since we have a different coach and a different system. But for reference sake last year Joe missed 6 games and these are the numbers that Marvin put up in those games:

G Date Age Tm Opp GS MP FG FGA FG% 3P 3PA 3P% FT FTA FT% ORB DRB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS GmSc

65 2010-03-16 23-270 ATL NJN W 1 32:20 6 10 .600 2 4 .500 1 2 .500 0 5 5 3 1 0 2 2 15 11.8
66 2010-03-17 23-271 ATL TOR L 1 31:42 1 10 .100 0 0 0 0 1 3 4 0 0 1 0 4 2 -3.9
75 2010-04-03 23-288 ATL DET W 1 37:08 3 6 .500 0 0 1 1 1.000 1 2 3 1 1 1 1 3 7 5.5
76 2010-04-06 23-291 ATL CHA L 1 23:20 1 4 .250 0 0 4 4 1.000 0 3 3 4 0 0 0 4 6 5.7
77 2010-04-07 23-292 ATL DET L 1 37:25 7 13 .538 0 1 .000 3 6 .500 4 5 9 2 1 0 2 2 17 13.4
81 2010-04-14 23-299 ATL CLE W 1 27:36 4 7 .571 0 0 3 3 1.000 0 3 3 3 1 0 2 2 11 8.9
[/code]

And here are the numbers Marvin has put up against Memphis over the last 3 seasons, which seem to indicate that he plays above his norm against the Grizzlies:

Year G GS MP FG FGA 3P 3PA FT FTA ORB TRB AST STL BLK TOV PF PTS FG% 3P% FT% MP PTS TRB AST
2010 1 1 31 5 6 0 1 5 6 2 7 0 0 1 1 0 15 .833 .000 .833 31.0 15.0 7.0 0.0
2009 2 2 49 8 15 0 3 3 3 4 12 3 2 2 3 4 19 .533 .000 1.000 24.5 9.5 6.0 1.5
2008 1 1 32 4 9 2 5 6 6 0 4 5 1 0 0 3 16 .444 .400 1.000 32.0 16.0 4.0 5.0
[/code]