• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Anyone else watching Sy's first game?

Mdizzle5

• Premium Member

http://twitter.com/DraftExpress

Its moves like this (drafting Pape Sy) that make you wonder about the decisions that get made by certain NBA front offices, like the Hawks.

If Pape Sy wasn't drafted by the Hawks and making 500k this year, you'd wonder if he's good enough to play at the D-League level.

He hasn't played alot yet. He's a young guy from France playing basketball in alot of strange places. He doesn't speak very good english. He's playing on a team where he doesn't know his teammates, doesn't know the coaches, and doesn't know the system. Lets give him a bit more of a chance before we cry havoc about "wasting" a deep second round pick. Like 95% of those become NBA players anyways. The guy is a project. He's low risk high reward potential.

Other than his horrible shooting right now I'm actually somewhat happy with what I see in the stat sheets. Seems like he rebounds fairly well and he makes it to the free throw line. The fouls seem to be an issue but that might just be learning what is accepted and what isn't. The turnovers don't concern me at all this early. Lets see how he does in the next 10 games or so and see if he starts to catch on and hold off on too many judgements until at least the next summer league.

• Like 1

The guy is nearly the same age as most of our 5-6 year veterans. There is no realistic scenario where we can expect him to resemble anything close to an NBA player in the time it will take for him to "develope".

I'd put more hope in Gladyr, he's younger and playing a larger role in a more competitive league than Sy yet hasn't gotten half the pub or wishful thinking.

• Premium Member

Every year, Hawks fans become infatuated by some "Camp" player as if this player will have some break out season.

Last year it was Garrett Siler.

It has been Andersen for the longest time.

It has been Gladyr.

It has been Mario West.

The fact is that these guys are what we thought they were. Camp players who can make the team but likely will not have a break out season. When has that ever happened?

Unfortunately, Hawks fans are more intrigued by the bird in the bush than what's already in hand.

Therefore I guess this Pape Sy infatuation will continue.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think there is going to be a certain level of fascination with any of our draft picks and I don't have a problem with that. We all hope they turn into a Ben Wallace, Manu Ginobili or even a useful role player. What I didn't get about the Sy pick is why you would use a draft pick at all. Just take a foreigner who isn't going to come to the US for a few years or grab yourself of Caracter or Warren who is going to get picked and sign Sy as a FA. It seemed like a wasted resource.

All that pales in comparison to the selling of our earlier pick, though.

Every year, Hawks fans become infatuated by some "Camp" player as if this player will have some break out season.

It has been Gladyr.

It has been Mario West.

The fact is that these guys are what we thought they were. Camp players who can make the team but likely will not have a break out season. When has that ever happened?

Unfortunately, Hawks fans are more intrigued by the bird in the bush than what's already in hand.

Well there have been these fringe type guys that have had good careers, Haslem, Mo, Raja. It can happen.

Sy has been extremely unimpressive in the little bit of time he has been in this game. How many games has he played in the D-league so far? I know he hasn't played very many, but not sure. If he looks bad and barely gets any playing time in the D-league then he has a long ways to go before he gets any minutes with the Hawks. I wasn't expecting him to be amazing, but I was hoping for better than what little I've seen so far.

I'm not saying he can't improve, but he looks far from what most were hoping for right now.

Can we give Sy a little time to get his basketball legs under him? He did miss all of training camp and most of the regulars season to back injury. This is the first basketball he's played in months. Joe missed 2 weeks and looked horrible when he came back. Sy has missed alot more time. Give him a chance.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

It has been Gladyr.

It has been Mario West.

Diesel you are 100% correct. This clown cant even make it in the D-league, LOL. I guess that is what the Hawks off-season has dropped to cause lord knows it's not about signing free agents.

• Moderators
DraftExpress: RT @serbianhoops: According to Lojze Milosavljevic (Atlanta Hawks european scout), Pape Sy will be a starter within 3 years

http://www.draftexpr.../#ixzz1AxbQSkhi

I am glad to hear someone in the organization really believes. Seriously. I'd like to see us actually hit on one of our long shots for once.

Atlanta's professional scouts say that this player is very good.

Some posters here, after seeing him play 2 or 3 games, know he is a total waste of a second

round draft choice. It's the first time the young man has played in 6 months.

Maybe our knowing posters didn't really watch the games. Just read the box score and passed

their final judgement.

Personally, I haven't a clue as to whether he's going to be good or a total waste of time. We have

had so many borderline players that didn't make it, I get parinoid about any player spoken of

in the same sentence as the Atlanta Hawks.

Until he proves otherwise, I going to keep believeing. Don't prove to me that he can. Prove to

me that he can't, then I'll believe he's a bust.

:vacation1:

• Like 1

Until he proves otherwise, I going to keep believeing.

I guess I don't get the reason for the blind faith. I didn't have any reason to think he was a good player before, I don't have any reason to believe he is a good player now. I'll keep an open mind but I don't see now its possible for anyone to be a "believer".

I guess I don't get the reason for the blind faith. I didn't have any reason to think he was a good player before, I don't have any reason to believe he is a good player now. I'll keep an open mind but I don't see now its possible for anyone to be a "believer".

When professional scouts say "He's good" why should I doubt them? Do they not know what

they are doing? If that's so, why do they still have a job?

That's not blind faith. It's simply believing these scouts know what they are doing. So, maybe

they don't know. Or, perhaps they do know what's what but they are wrong. It happens. The

thing is, you gotta believe something and someone, otherwise, everything is gloom and doom.

:newspaper:

Edited by Gray Mule