• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

LD appears to be following the Woodson path

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

I think we all can agree that the Hawks have not played a juggernaut schedule. So I wonder why LD has decided to ride a player (Jamal) that looks to have no future with the team over playing the younger Crawford and Teague. Has Teague or Crawford done anything to suggest they deserve more burn? No, but I would also argue the LD hasn’t given them (esp. JC2) much of an opportunity.

Here’s the gamble on LD’s part. Say Jamal is not traded at the deadline but signs elsewhere as a FA in the summer. Next season LD would be left with 2 unproven guards and a Mike Bibby that’s a year older and slower. Right now that looks to be a serious drop in talent. LD witnessed where winning a ton of meaningless regular season games untimely got Woody so I question why he’s chosen the same path. Is this a hint that Sund has something big planned by the trade deadline or in the summer? I sure hope so.

Edited by NineOhTheRino
  • Like 1

I think we all can agree that the Hawks have not played a juggernaut schedule. So I wonder why LD has decided to ride a player (Jamal) that looks to have no future with the team over playing the younger Crawford and Teague. Has Teague or Crawford done anything to suggest they deserve more burn? No, but I would also argue the LD hasn’t given them (esp. JC2) much of an opportunity.

Here’s the gamble on LD’s part. Say Jamal is not traded at the deadline but signs elsewhere as a FA in the summer. Next season LD would be left with 2 unproven guards and a Mike Bibby that’s a year older and slower. Right now that looks to be a serious drop in talent. LD witnessed where winning a ton of meaningless regular season games untimely got Woody so I question why he’s chosen the same path.

Almost every coach in the nba would've played Jamal his minutes over JC2. Teague on the other hand has shown flashes and his only competition is bibbly, but he still plays like a rookie and is scared out there, I guess Drew doesn't like that.

• Premium Member

Almost every coach in the nba would've played Jamal his minutes over JC2. Teague on the other hand has shown flashes and his only competition is bibbly, but he still plays like a rookie and is scared out there, I guess Drew doesn't like that.

LD is in the first year of his contract so this is the best time to play young guys.

If you are a young player on a winning team and you need 30+ mpg to make an impact well...........you simply wont be playing much then . The best way to earn more minutes is to maximize the minutes you do get and I have yet to see any of our bench players show the ability to do that . I watch a lot of games but every team gets a bench players who just goes nutz once in a while ...I dont count Crawford because hes a pseudo starter for this team but Mo,Teague ,Zaza have been flat out horrible in there roles compared to other players . I DO NOT expect them,to play lights out every game but we are going through several weeks without a sign of life from any of them .

Here’s the gamble on LD’s part. Say Jamal is not traded at the deadline but signs elsewhere as a FA in the summer. Next season LD would be left with 2 unproven guards and a Mike Bibby that’s a year older and slower. Right now that looks to be a serious drop in talent. LD witnessed where winning a ton of meaningless regular season games untimely got Woody so I question why he’s chosen the same path. Is this a hint that Sund has something big planned by the trade deadline or in the summer? I sure hope so.

Really? Coach has to manage the team to win games. They Play The Game To Win!! JC2 will get his time (he got game) but not with the expense of Jamal. It just ain't happening will Jamal is in this roster. As for Teague, Bibby has played lights out. Bibby has been doing what asked and more than expected. Quite frankly, Bibs is keeping Teague on the bench not LD.

• Premium Member

Nine,

If you think Sund and the Hawks are going to do anything in the summer, well................dont hold your breath. As far as the coach, IMO Larry Drew is not head coaching material, he dont have a clue and is just running players out there. Josh Smith is still doing stupid Josh Smith stuff on the court and LD does nothing.

I watched the Boston - Orlando game last night and how Boston has such chemistry, plays smart and hard, Orlando is already jelling with new players. The game last night was really good. We are no where near these two teams - if everything stays the same and we meet one of these teams in the playoffs, we are dead meat AGAIN.

I have lost hope in this entire franchise for a championship. Its what it is, a good regular season team and not the talent at coach or players to advance in the playoffs. Boston, Orlando, Miami, and Chicago are much better teams than the Hawks.

Respect? You have to earn respect!

• Like 1

For me, Jordan, Jamal & Teague along with picks can be packaged for players that will help us win now. We have to go all in while JJ still balling at his best. No time for wait on youngsters & picks.

PS: Didn't mention Marvin cuz he's been shopped all season & no takers yet. So, you know.......

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Nine,

If you think Sund and the Hawks are going to do anything in the summer, well................dont hold your breath. As far as the coach, IMO Larry Drew is not head coaching material, he dont have a clue and is just running players out there. Josh Smith is still doing stupid Josh Smith stuff on the court and LD does nothing.

I watched the Boston - Orlando game last night and how Boston has such chemistry, plays smart and hard, Orlando is already jelling with new players. The game last night was really good. We are no where near these two teams - if everything stays the same and we meet one of these teams in the playoffs, we are dead meat AGAIN.

I have lost hope in this entire franchise for a championship. Its what it is, a good regular season team and not the talent at coach or players to advance in the playoffs. Boston, Orlando, Miami, and Chicago are much better teams than the Hawks.

Respect? You have to earn respect!

We know it and the Hawks players and FO know it too. Yes they're good; Are they good enough to compete for a title? Not happening. As a fan you have to enjoy the regular season and consider ANYTHING POSITIVE in the postseason as icing on the cake.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

We know it and the Hawks players and FO know it too. Yes they're good; Are they good enough to compete for a title? Not happening. As a fan you have to enjoy the regular season and consider ANYTHING POSITIVE in the postseason as icing on the cake.

When's the last time we had something to be positive about in the offseason? Keeping the same core that can't get past the second round without ever adding a MLE player to help get us over the hurdle or making a significant trade for a superstar by breaking up the core?

I'm glad we are winning in the regular season but Vol is correct. You don't get respect unless you can win in the playoffs. Can this Hawks team do that?

• Premium Member

I don't see JC2 getting much burn while Jamal is healthy. I don't think there's a coach in the league that make that call while they have a 6th man of the year sitting there. Teague is another story. The guy can help us. He's not the shooter that Bibby is, but he can get to the basket at will - and is actually an upgrade defending the perimeter. He needs more minutes. More meaningful minutes. He does look timid out there sometimes, but the best thing for him to do when he gets in is attack - attack - attack. Guy is getting to the rim or getting fouled every time.

DO NOT throw him in a trade unless we get a young, promising PG in return. Don't do it.

I don't see JC2 getting much burn while Jamal is healthy. I don't think there's a coach in the league that make that call while they have a 6th man of the year sitting there. Teague is another story. The guy can help us. He's not the shooter that Bibby is, but he can get to the basket at will - and is actually an upgrade defending the perimeter. He needs more minutes. More meaningful minutes. He does look timid out there sometimes, but the best thing for him to do when he gets in is attack - attack - attack. Guy is getting to the rim or getting fouled every time.

DO NOT throw him in a trade unless we get a young, promising PG in return. Don't do it.

What is the point getting to the rim and not finishing? I'd rather have Bibs not turning over the ball and popping the three for 50% . No debate.

Caveat: the motion offense negates that need of "the penetrating point". Teague may dash but he cannot dish or finish.

Edited by Swatguy

• Premium Member

What is the point getting to the rim and not finishing? I'd rather have Bibs not turning over the ball and popping the three for 50% . No debate.

Caveat: the motion offense negates that need of "the penetrating point". Teague may dash but he cannot dish or finish.

Not yet.

And nobody says he can or can't, but it's not smart to ignore a player that can do things like that. And while the motion offense alleviates the dependency on dribble penetration, every contender has a guy that can either score in the paint (i.e. Howard, Gasol) or penetrate (Pierce, Wade, Parker). Jump shots will stop falling. That's when you need it and since we don't have a low post threat, I wouldn't go dismissing anyone that can break down the defense.

Moving Teague for decent veteran help (that is dime-a-dozen and isn't any better than what we have) is a good recipe for Crow à la mode. What you end up with a Joe Johnson situation, ironically. In the same way we want "productive" guys that will put us closer, Boston moved JJ for the veteran production of Rodney Rogers and Tony Delk. Teague doesn't need to start and we need Bibby doing exactly what he's doing. But he needs more minutes for us to give him a fair evaluation.

As long as we're paying our coach peanuts he's going to coach for his job instead of the future of the team.

I really think that if the Hawks have LD as the coach couple of years ago or even last year, the Hawks could've made a run at it. He's not a very good coach (yet?) but he's at least above average with the gameplanning, minutes management (not running our players into the ground) and game management with good timeouts. The previous coach was so bad in that regards and in addition with his idiotic offensive and defensive philosophies that it drove the team a level down imo. I still feel the team's not playing to it's full potential yet but at least LD is not making it worse.

Even before tonight's win, give Coach Drew his respect.

All he's done, is have is 1 game behind the pace we were at last year, and right in the hunt for a top 4 spot AND a division title.

Yet, some of you act like he's the worst coach in the conference.

And this is NOT college. If you're an NBA player, and you've shown that you can contribute consistently on a nightly basis, you WILL play in this league. No coach in his right mind would keep a player that can contribute buried on the bench . . unless there was some "politics" behind it, like Marbury or Nate with the Knicks.

It kills people to say that Drew is coaching more like Woody. Cause all that has happened since Drew shortened this rotation, and stopped trying to get Teague and Powell their minutes every game, is that this team has really played well.

That"s 11 wins out of 14 . . and a 20 - 8 record since we had an 8 - 7 record back in late November.

So go ahead Larry . . keep the W.W.W.D. ( What Would Woody Do? ) philosophy. Get those wins, and a top 4 seed.

Once we get to that point, it is then up to you to make the playoff in-game adjustments that your predecessor couldn't seem to master.

In the end, that is what will separate you as a better coach.

But in the meantime . . . don't change a thing if what you're doing is actually working.

As long as we're paying our coach peanuts he's going to coach for his job instead of the future of the team.

Possibly....but I think he's doing both.

I think we have to look at the old approach...Occam's razor...meaning that a team (saying the Hawks) who have one real trade jewell (that can bring us an athletic center and maybe a backup PG to boot) and a team that has set it up in such way by drafting JC2...wouldn't follow through with the plan?

Edited by DJlaysitup

• Premium Member

I think you have failed to look at what winning teams do.

What are the players that the Lakers Developing?

They got Derrick Caracter. He's a guy out of UTEP who was a pretty good pick up. Do you think they're sitting Gasol or Bynum or Odom to play this guy? He plays 5.9 mpg!!

• Moderators

I think you have failed to look at what winning teams do.

What are the players that the Lakers Developing?

They got Derrick Caracter. He's a guy out of UTEP who was a pretty good pick up. Do you think they're sitting Gasol or Bynum or Odom to play this guy? He plays 5.9 mpg!!

Caracter was picked after Pops. If you are lauding someone for not playing the late picks, then LD deserves more credit for limiting the minutes of Pops.

In a better comparison, Jordan Farmer (26th pick) played 18 mpg his 2nd year with the Lakers while putting up a 9.9 PER, shooting .466 TS%, 3.6 RP36 and 4.7 AP36. Teague has averaged 11.7 mpg while putting up a 13.8 PER, shooting .544 TS%, 4.1 RP36 and 5.6 AP36

Caracter was picked after Pops. If you are lauding someone for not playing the late picks, then LD deserves more credit for limiting the minutes of Pops.

In a better comparison, Jordan Farmer (26th pick) played 18 mpg his 2nd year with the Lakers while putting up a 9.9 PER, shooting .466 TS%, 3.6 RP36 and 4.7 AP36. Teague has averaged 11.7 mpg while putting up a 13.8 PER, shooting .544 TS%, 4.1 RP36 and 5.6 AP36

Have a look at the Lakers roster for 2006-2007, guys like Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Von Wafer, Radmanovic, even our very own Mo Evans.... you can see why Farmer played 18 min...they surely weren't the championship caliber team then that they are now...

Lakers Full Roster...2006-2007

18 Sasha Vujacic

24 Kobe Bryant

2 Aaron McKie

5 Jordan Farmar

23 Von Wafer

1 William "Smush" Parker

11 Devin Green (Free Agent)

6 Maurice Evans

3 Shammond Williams

25 J.R. Pinnock

24 Jim Jackson

4 Luke Walton

10 Vladimir Radmanovic

7 Lamar Odom

43 Brian Cook

21 Ronny Turiaf

54 Kwame Brown

31 Chris Mihm

17 Andrew Bynum

• Moderators

Have a look at the Lakers roster for 2006-2007, guys like Smush Parker, Kwame Brown, Von Wafer, Radmanovic, even our very own Mo Evans.... you can see why Farmer played 18 min...they surely weren't the championship caliber team then that they are now...

Lakers Full Roster...2006-2007

18 Sasha Vujacic

24 Kobe Bryant

2 Aaron McKie

5 Jordan Farmar

23 Von Wafer

1 William "Smush" Parker

11 Devin Green (Free Agent)

6 Maurice Evans

3 Shammond Williams

25 J.R. Pinnock

24 Jim Jackson

4 Luke Walton

10 Vladimir Radmanovic

7 Lamar Odom

43 Brian Cook

21 Ronny Turiaf

54 Kwame Brown

31 Chris Mihm

17 Andrew Bynum

I am talking about the 2008-09 Lakers that won the NBA championship.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/LAL/2009.html

Farmar played the minutes and put up the inferior numbers I described.

Edited by AHF