• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Folks I think we all underestimate how good our coach is.

HawkItus

Actually Woody was well known around the league at being one of the best at drawing up plays coming out of a timeout and we've run similar plays like that before with Josh going at the rim. It was a pretty good play call though and would have been HUGE if we had converted it, but it had a fairly high degree of difficulty as well.

As to us underestimating LD I will agree as he has made some terrific adjustments during games and even between games and that's something that Woody rarely ever did.

Actually Woody was well known around the league at being one of the best at drawing up plays coming out of a timeout and we've run similar plays like that before with Josh going at the rim. It was a pretty good play call though and would have been HUGE if we had converted it, but it had a fairly high degree of difficulty as well.

As to us underestimating LD I will agree as he has made some terrific adjustments during games and even between games and that's something that Woody rarely ever did.

I wonder how many of those plays were LD inspired plays when Woody was here?

• Premium Member

LD is OK but all the "LD > Woody" talk seems a bit premature. Let's wait until the playoffs come around before making such declarations.

• Moderators

LD is OK but all the "LD > Woody" talk seems a bit premature. Let's wait until the playoffs come around before making such declarations.

The proof is in the pudding and for the Hawks that means a better showing in the playoffs.

They got blown out by Houston at home and only a 1 point win over the 9 win Kings at home.

Style points don't count in the boxscore. A win, is a win. They all count the same ni matter the margin.

Edited by 99PROBL3MS

The Rockets won by 6 points. How's that a blowout?

The Rockets beat Boston Celtics by 6 points this month too.

And Houston beat the Knicks by 15 tonight and the Knicks have been a good team this year as well.

And damn Orlando only beat the Sixers by a point tonight, guess they suck for only winning by a point LOL.

• Premium Member

And Houston beat the Knicks by 15 tonight and the Knicks have been a good team this year as well.

And damn Orlando only beat the Sixers by a point tonight, guess they suck for only winning by a point LOL.

and the only reason the game went to overtime was because of a phantom foul call on a J-rich three. I still have no idea how Philadelphia lost that one.

• Premium Member

They got blown out by Houston at home and only a 1 point win over the 9 win Kings at home.

And they beat Miami in Miami when Wade and Bron were on the Court and Al was not.

Anyway....

I think the play was a thing of beauty and it was not called, just done. I like that. I think as coach, we see LD's difference. Not that we couldn't do this stuff with Woody, we just didn't. My impression is that LD's defensive intensity is better than Woodys. Woody hampered our team with switching defenses and Iso Joe, LD uses those things sparingly and he makes our players work.

Don't have to wait till the playoffs to see coaching. There are different barometers of evaluation like; season record, quality wins, playoff record, stats, player development...

I guess most of us look at most or all of these things to evaluate. Coaching takes time and usually there is a period of adjustment where progress is made but isn't reflected so much in stats, player development, record etc.... What you hope is that there is progress and eventually a coming together of the plan.

I think we're seeing this with LD's Hawks. The record is the same as last year, the stats are the stats, some players are showing development, others not much but the adjustments are there. The adaptation to a different O and D are there and are evolving. The team is starting to break out of "Woodson Tendencies" and develop a better plan that is allowing growth and progress.

It's an on going eveluation but we can already make some interesting observations.

My observation is that LD is doing a very good job and may be a very good coach. We'll see...

• Premium Member

Don't have to wait till the playoffs to see coaching. There are different barometers of evaluation like; season record, quality wins, playoff record, stats, player development...

I guess most of us look at most or all of these things to evaluate. Coaching takes time and usually there is a period of adjustment where progress is made but isn't reflected so much in stats, player development, record etc.... What you hope is that there is progress and eventually a coming together of the plan.

I think we're seeing this with LD's Hawks. The record is the same as last year, the stats are the stats, some players are showing development, others not much but the adjustments are there. The adaptation to a different O and D are there and are evolving. The team is starting to break out of "Woodson Tendencies" and develop a better plan that is allowing growth and progress.

It's an on going eveluation but we can already make some interesting observations.

My observation is that LD is doing a very good job and may be a very good coach. We'll see...

I agree with this and those in the know also. I remember hearing McHale say that the Hawks are now "more playoff ready" than before. It's like we have gone from division II basketball to the Division I. Sure in Division II, we were looking real good wins and losses but we had an offense and defense that an average division I team could shut down. Translated... Teams knew that all they had to do was limit our transition, double Joe and on offense, force us to switch to a matchup they liked and they would easily win. Well, this year, LD has shown that he's not afraid to use his bench. He has shown that he will not switch to a mismatch. He has shown that his offense has at least 4 options at any given time. The more our players understand this, the more dangerous we will become. So while our record is not as good or about the same, our play is more grown up.

• Premium Member

Honestly, I see the team doing the same dumb bs many complained about when Woody was here. Josh taking ill-advised 3's, Joe going ISO, and Jamal impersonating a Globetrotter. IDK...I would like to say Drew is better than Woody but all the indicators point to Drew being indistinguishable from Woody.

We play this good coach / bad coach game with little proof of what a guy is. Was Woody a good coach? Yes if you're using the same criteria you're using with LD.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

• Moderators

I have to really disagree with this. I thought that was one of Woody's worst traits. I couldn't believe how often we came out of a timeout and turned the ball over or looked totally lost as to what was supposed to be happening.

I also think that play should have been an easy one but Joe tried an alley-op instead of just passing him the ball. Can you blame him? We all like to see Josh dunk.

• Like 1

Honestly, I see the team doing the same dumb bs many complained about when Woody was here. Josh taking ill-advised 3's, Joe going ISO, and Jamal impersonating a Globetrotter. IDK...I would like to say Drew is better than Woody but all the indicators point to Drew being indistinguishable from Woody.

We play this good coach / bad coach game with little proof of what a guy is. Was Woody a good coach? Yes if you're using the same criteria you're using with LD.

I can not agree less. Was Mike Brown a good coach compared to Jerry Sloan? No. If you only look at W:L then yes, but if you pay attention to the game you know it is not even close.

• Like 1