• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I am tired of Josh Smith's shot selection

capstone21

Smoove is just fine at PF, I don't know why LD thought it was a good idea for him to play SF. Josh Smith has never played within himself. Woody had to create plays that kept him away from the 3 point line due to his belief that he can make anything. While Horford plays within him self, Smoove doesn't. I hope this puts a end to Smith at SF ever again. He doesn't even defend that position all that well either. He likes it because he doesn't have to bang but he doesn't play smart on the wing which is why he's should be around the elbow or in the paint.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

Josh took some seriously dumb shots last night but if he had made them we'd all be thrilled about it, even if we still didn't want him taking them. What really cost us the game was whomever was responsible for guarding Maggette at the 3pt line in the 1st half and Delfino in the 2nd half just decided to let them have wide open 3's whenever they wanted them. I don't know how many times I yelled at the TV that "hey you might want to guard him" considering he's shooting 100% from there. That and the fact that Boykins was able to do whatever he wanted against us, but I can't blame Bibby for something he has no control over, he's just an old man who is incapable of staying in front of someone so much faster than him. Taking long dumb 3's when you're already building a nice brick pile and leaving their snipers open for 3's all night is what I really place the blame on because those are conscious decisions that can be prevented.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Smoove is just fine at PF, I don't know why LD thought it was a good idea for him to play SF. Josh Smith has never played within himself. Woody had to create plays that kept him away from the 3 point line due to his belief that he can make anything. While Horford plays within him self, Smoove doesn't. I hope this puts a end to Smith at SF ever again. He doesn't even defend that position all that well either. He likes it because he doesn't have to bang but he doesn't play smart on the wing which is why he's should be around the elbow or in the paint.

Maybe the move was not for Josh. Maybe the move was so that Horf could play PF.

You like to focus on the effect that it has on Josh. What about Horf? Horf finished 7 of 9 with 10 boards. Does it take an offensive scheme for Josh to realize that the three pointer is not his shot?

Again I say it shows how sad of state this team is in where someone like Josh Smith has the green light and is allowed to do whatever the hell he wants to out there. The players got LD his job and they don't respect him as a coach. Why wasn't Smoove benched? The crap he is pulling will not cut it during playoff time. How many shots does a player have to miss before he realizes that he may need to drive to the basket? Damn near all of this jumpers are wide open. I would rather Marv take 20 shots than Smoove. You all talk about his blocks but what about the turnovers. Last night he had 3 blocks and 4 turnovers his turnovers negated the blocks. We need to trade this guy while we still can.

• Premium Member

Again I say it shows how sad of state this team is in where someone like Josh Smith has the green light and is allowed to do whatever the hell he wants to out there. The players got LD his job and they don't respect him as a coach. Why wasn't Smoove benched? The crap he is pulling will not cut it during playoff time. How many shots does a player have to miss before he realizes that he may need to drive to the basket? Damn near all of this jumpers are wide open. I would rather Marv take 20 shots than Smoove. You all talk about his blocks but what about the turnovers. Last night he had 3 blocks and 4 turnovers his turnovers negated the blocks. We need to trade this guy while we still can.

Dead on analysis!

Josh Smith's shot selection is absolutely unacceptable and something needs to be done. Josh was not the only reason we lost this game, but we will never go far in the playoffs with him shooting like that.

Did anyone hear Josh screaming at Horford to "shoot it"? I can't remember when(maybe 3rd qtr), but Josh threw the ball to Horford and when Al hesitated and then passed it Josh screamed "shoot it" as loud as he could. You could clearly hear it on tv. Al was somewhat open and he might should have shot it, but might have been a little further out than he wanted. Either way, Josh screaming like that is not good for team chemistry. I wonder how Josh would react if Al screamed "don't shoot it" when he gets the ball at the 3-pt line.

I really like Josh, but if we don't have the right coach/leaders to reign him in or are unwilling to get one then we would need to strongly consider the trade as it would be better for him and better for us. I don't think anyone wants Josh being the volume shooter on their team.

Why not go for Kobe and throw in Gasol ? Rose and Noah ? Dwill and Milsap ? Durant and Westbrook ?

Why would they give us Nene ? :cant believe: :help wanted3:

Why not? Because they will be rebuilding either way [EDITED BY DOLFAN23]. They are going to lose Melo in the end and guys like Billups , Kmart and others are old and have bloated contracts who wont' be resigned. They will want to get younger. Getting Smoove who is still only 24yrs old with upside and shedding Nene's big contract is a good start for them. What don't you get here?

Edited by Dolfan23
Personal insults and attacks are not tolerated here. Please stick to commenting on the post and not on the poster.

In the 4th, the entire team played as though they had never faced a defense. Pathetic.

So, Josh tried to overcome the defense by himself. No team play from him. Also, instead

of having our speedy PG guard their speedy PG, Bibby .............

In the 4th quarter our Hawks couldn't find their own backsides if they had a flashlight

and a roadmap. 1-14 shooting! Wow! The defense completely shut them down.

There was enough blame to go around. Everyone gets some. However, on defense

it had to be whoever was letting those 3 point shooters have time to get set, turn the

seams on the ball, break wind and then shoot. That, and leaving poor, slow Bibby to

cover their speedy waterbug PG.

On offense, besides going into shock when they saw the defense, it was Smoove. Give

me the ball and watch me shoot from here. I haven't hit one in a while but I just know

that the next one will surely go in. Or the next one or the next one. Give me the ball and

stand back.

:white flag:

Edited by Gray Mule

I'm with you Gray Mule, this was a failure by the whole offense in the 4th, not just Josh.

The problem was that the only open shots our offense was getting was for Josh. If the defense is shutting everyone down and leaving Josh open for jumpers, that isn't all Josh's fault, a lot of it goes back to our ball movement/player movement and offensive play calling.

Josh definitely made some dumb decisions, but the Hawks had only scored 3 points at the 4 minute mark in the 4th quarter. That is pathetic.

Why not? Because they will be rebuilding either way [EDITED BY DOLFAN23]. They are going to lose Melo in the end and guys like Billups , Kmart and others are old and have bloated contracts who wont' be resigned. They will want to get younger. Getting Smoove who is still only 24yrs old with upside and shedding Nene's big contract is a good start for them. What don't you get here?

Nene and Crawford is basically a straight up trade and their both expiring so you would be the [EDITED BY DOLFAN23], why would the nuggets do that?

Edited by Dolfan23
Knock off the personal insults!

• Premium Member

Not to sound cynical or trying to be a jerk but anyone else notice we haven't seen the little group of Smoove defenders lately on the site? Usually any mention of his negatives or talk of trading him brings out the OH HELL NO YOU DIDN'T crowd of Smoove groupies.

• Premium Member

Not to sound cynical or trying to be a jerk but anyone else notice we haven't seen the little group of Smoove defenders lately on the site? Usually any mention of his negatives or talk of trading him brings out the OH HELL NO YOU DIDN'T crowd of Smoove groupies.

My bet is that most fans put the bulk of the blame on Drew for bringing this side of Josh to the forefront again. Woody had Josh playing at an allstar level before he was run out of town by ASG and angry fans.

Josh Smith has and always will be a stat player. He is a born loser just like Reef was. You know that despite his stats, that you're not going to win games because of him.

Just a plain ignorant and stupid post.

Those players are nothing alike other then being 6'9''. Reef NEVER made mental mistakes and had a polished offensive game. They are polar opposites.

I'm ready trade Smoove for the highest bidder. Hopefully an upgrade at PG and a veteran post player.

How about Scola and Lowry ?

I'd love to use him to get Curry.

I'd love to use Smoove and fillers to target Nash and either Gortat or Lopez as our center.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

Woody didn't have control over Josh until last season and even publicly defended Josh's perimeter shooting. Woody did a disservice to Josh by not telling him to stop shooting the jumpers.

“Josh is five years in the league now, man,” Woodson said after Smith’s 5-for-19 shooting effort in the loss to the Rockets. “And it comes down to time, score and situation. That’s the bottom line. We’re not telling

him he can’t shoot 3-pointers but if you miss four or five jump shots, something has to go off in his head that says, ‘I have to do something else.’ “

The worst thing LD has done as coach has been to let Josh shoot jumpers. After Woody finally did something to get Josh to limit the jumpers last year, LD has that belated progress turn into regression.

Of course, I assume we still have some posters who think this jump shooting is a great thing so feel free to jump in here all the people who were saying "let him shoot it!" earlier this season.

Nene and Crawford is basically a straight up trade and their both expiring so you would be the [EDITED BY DOLFAN23], why would the nuggets do that?

My mistake on Nene as i forgot he was expiring. To get Smoove they would do it. They are not going to lose Melo for nothing are they? We could throw in a 1st rd pick as well.

So your telling me they wouldn't take Smoove/1st rd pick for Melo instead of losing Melo for nothing at the end of the year?

• Moderators

So your telling me they wouldn't take Smoove/1st rd pick for Melo instead of losing Melo for nothing at the end of the year?

If they can get financial relief, draft picks, and younger players then I think they will go that direction. If it is a choice of Smoove or nothing, I think they would take Smoove.

My mistake on Nene as i forgot he was expiring. To get Smoove they would do it. They are not going to lose Melo for nothing are they? We could throw in a 1st rd pick as well.

I'm sure they would but I sure as hell wouldn't, not unless Melo signs an extension with us first. Hell they could have Marvin and JC2 as well if they'd give us Nene!

• Premium Member

Woody didn't have control over Josh until last season and even publicly defended Josh's perimeter shooting. Woody did a disservice to Josh by not telling him to stop shooting the jumpers.

-1 Woody

The worst thing LD has done as coach has been to let Josh shoot jumpers. After Woody finally did something to get Josh to limit the jumpers last year, LD has that belated progress turn into regression.

+1 Woody

Wow... Woodson getting credit for doing something right.

well.... I think that's what happened here. :unsure:

Edited by NineOhTheRino

I'm sure they would but I sure as hell wouldn't, not unless Melo signs an extension with us first. Hell they could have Marvin and JC2 as well if they'd give us Nene!

yeah I'm assuming we can get Melo to sign the extension or I wouldn't even suggest a trade period. That is a given or we don't trade with them at all.