Wondering where all the people who wanted to trade Josh are now

thecampster

Josh does too much for this team to trade. Points, rebounds, blocks, assists and steals. Yea, he makes mistakes, so does Joe, Bibby and Al (the chosen one). Look up his stats and compare them to an Amare or Joe, you get more bang for your buck with Josh.

No you dont get more bang for your buck because tat he end of the day he has no credibility with the league and that is what we lacking .

Amare is considered a SUPERSTAR by the league while Josh and Joe are considered good all star quality players . I dont even like Amare that much but Ive resigned myself to the fact that the NBA is a SUPERSTARS LEAGUE and we have none .

Played well against the Raptors and Clippers? Against the Raptors, he muscled his way to a pile of jumpers. He shot ZERO free throws and had one offensive rebound.

So 11 boards is not good effort when only one of them is offensive? It is part of team strategy not to crash offensive boards but focus on transition defensive.

Smoove had also 4 assists, 2 steals and 3 blocks. Scored 18 points on 9 of 14 from the field, but it's not good 'cause he shot jumpers?

Against the Clips he had 10 points, again no free throws and was 5-13 from the field.

True, but he had 5 assists, 2 blocks and 2 steals while commiting only 1 foul. Also defended Griffin very well.

He has developed an allergy to paint and or/contact.

While I agree that he spends more time on the perimeter than last year your statement is a bold exaggeration and your post is typical example of hate from many of fans because of Josh bad shot selection and whining to the refs. But take a look at bigger picture, shooting is not everything that counts.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Josh can't/won't win with some posters here. I always thought of Josh as a player who is always trying to improve and expand his game. He's trying a mix of back-to-the-basket moves, drives, and jumpers to make himself more effective and valuable to the team. I'm pretty sure he doesn't work so hard on these things in the offseason in some attempt to hurt the team. He WANTS TO HELP THE TEAM GUYS. I think some forget how raw he was when he first got here. This guy is a totally different player. Look at guys like Darius Miles, Stromile Swift, Hakim Warrick, or a Tyrus Thomas to see how Smoove could have ended up had he not been the type of guy he is and maybe that would change the perspective a little. Maybe we should give the guy a break? :white flag:

Edited by hawkman
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I think a lot of the frustration towards Josh comes from the fact that Josh is not the player many want hm to be or hoped he would be...a dominant post up, back to the basket power forward. The problem with that is Josh has never been that type of player, even before he was in the NBA. If you went back and looked at all of the projections, most scouts projected him to be a small forward at the NBA level. Why? Because his style of play and size were that of a small forward. Now, I could be wrong, but I don't thnk there's ever been a player who was WIDELY projected to be a 3 by most scouts, come into the league and turn into a dominant, post up, back to the basket 4. Many people want him to be Shawn Kemp or Amare, but Josh has never been that kind of player. As talented as he is, Josh is really a tweener and that may contribute to his inconsistency, especially when his jumper isn't falling. There are some 4s (like last night) that Josh will abuse in the post and some that will make him look average at best. Depends on the matchup. But, I tip my hat to him cause that guy plays hard every night even if the stats don't always show it.

Edited by Jody23
  • Like 2

Josh can't/won't win with some posters here. I always thought of Josh as a player who is always trying to improve and expand his game. He's trying a mix of back-to-the-basket moves, drives, and jumpers to make himself more effective and valuable to the team. I'm pretty sure he doesn't work so hard on these things in the offseason in some attempt to hurt the team. He WANTS TO HELP THE TEAM GUYS. I think some forget how raw he was when he first got here. This guy is a totally different player. Look at guys like Darius Miles, Stromile Swift, Hakim Warrick, or a Tyrus Thomas to see how Smoove could have ended up had he not been the type of guy he is and maybe that would change the perspective a little. Maybe we should give the guy a break? :white flag:

Just because a lot of Hawks fans are pro trade Josh Smith doesn't mean they don't have any respect for the guy's game or what he has done for this franchise. But we have, as was said earlier, 2 very good power forwards. One has a more dynamic skillset while the other is more traditional. One thing one has that the other doesn't is a maturity issue. We all know who I am talking about. If a point guard could be had for Josh Smith, a point guard that would be a significant upgrade from what we have now, you would be mistaken not to trade the guy from a position you have a surplus of talent at for a position you are lacking talent at to HELP IMPROVE THE TEAM OVERALL. This doesn't make you a hater or someone who is going to take the negative spin on Smoove all the time. But if Josh's inconsistency and sometimes childish behavior on the court don't concern you, then maybe those fans are not being objective and are the ones not looking at what's best for the team.

Edited by Eddielives
  • Like 2

Just because a lot of Hawks fans are pro trade Josh Smith doesn't mean they don't have any respect for the guy's game or what he has done for this franchise.

That's good point. I was aiming at posters going way beyond 'Smith is a good player but he's not the best fit for the team' theme. And honestly, Josh gets little credit and a lots of criticism of late.

But if Josh's inconsistency and sometimes childish behavior on the court don't concern you, then maybe those fans are not being objective and are the ones not looking at what's best for the team.

There's not such a thing like objective human being, objective opinion and such.

Smith does this all the time. He has a great game now and then and you wonder why he can't play like that all the time? To be honest, I thought he took to many jumpers last night. They happened to be falling for him, but that won't be the case every night.

I have seen enough of Josh to know he is inconsistent and you will love him one day and hate him the next, Trade his azz.

• Premium Member

Smith does this all the time. He has a great game now and then and you wonder why he can't play like that all the time? To be honest, I thought he took to many jumpers last night. They happened to be falling for him, but that won't be the case every night.

I have seen enough of Josh to know he is inconsistent and you will love him one day and hate him the next, Trade his azz.

Does Horf take too many jumpers? :snowballfight:

• Premium Member

The right deal isn't Steph Curry. CP3 or Deron, that's the right deal.

Right. I mean, the right deal that has more than a .0000000000000001% chance of going down.

Say we trade Josh for a point guard and Horford gets injured for say 2 weeks then What? Start Zaza and Collins??

If Horford goes down for any extended period of time we are still totally screwed with the current roster. So the answer is, well you hope that doesn't happen.

Right. I mean, the right deal that has more than a .0000000000000001% chance of going down.

If Horford goes down for any extended period of time we are still totally screwed with the current roster. So the answer is, well you hope that doesn't happen.

Maybe Josh should retire here, I wouldn't like it but guys like Curry wouldn't be any better and we can at least hope we get even the hurdle. Maybe Jennings and Bogut for Teague and Smoove is hopeful the Bucks keep playing like crap.

• Premium Member

Maybe Josh should retire here, I wouldn't like it but guys like Curry wouldn't be any better and we can at least hope we get even the hurdle. Maybe Jennings and Bogut for Teague and Smoove is hopeful the Bucks keep playing like crap.

Milwaukee isn't giving up Jennings A ND Bogut for Smoove. Though in all fairness I doubt very much that GS would accept Curry for Smoove either so I guess both are pipe dreams. Point is It would sure be nice to trade Smith for a PG or Center of equal or close to equal talent. As is, the roster is just constructed with some inherent flaws... we don't have quite enough size inside and we have a corpse at PG. Those are just two very important facets of basketball that we are lacking. I love Josh and think he is a great talent, but this team just doesn't seem to be good enough right now. I'd give this team under Larry Drew one more shot at the playoffs to see if we can make it to the conference finals (or at the very least come out with a great showing in the second round) but if we see another playoff performance like the last couple of years it is time to blow this team up. Trading Horf for anything other than an ALL NBA first teamer is out of the question so basically our best trade chip is Smith.

• Premium Member

There's nobody who is beyond being traded. It's not good business to think that there is. In Smoove's case, he's one of the most highly valued yet at the same time, expendable (for the right player) we have. What that means is that we can't trade Horf unless we're getting a good C back. We can't trade JJ unless we're gettnig a good package back.

If Smoove can get us what we need, then we can look at trading him.

We're at the point where it's no longer about potential.

• Moderators

If the right deal comes along....

We have no superstar, so no one should be untouchable if

the right deal comes along.

That is my view. Josh is a stud with some problems in his gameplan. That doesn't make him expendable.

• Premium Member

That is my view. Josh is a stud with some problems in his gameplan. That doesn't make him expendable.

Expendable for the greater good. If Josh's trade can help us shore up our weaknesses, he is expendable. Not exactly addition by subtraction but we also realize that we have a PF playing out of Position and Josh is playing PF.