• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Will this team be "blown up" after this season?

dakast

The players that I would like to keep going forward are very few but:

Kirk

Wilkins

Horford

and bring back Mario West, like seriously

Add a true hardworking Center who plays their role,(ala how Theo Ratliff was for us)

fill in the other positions with talented and toug players

• Like 1

I'm really starting to think this is the last year of "the core".

Maybe - depends on future ownership. If they figure out a way to keep the league going and everything stays somewhat intact I could see a repeat of this year for our Hawks (if ASG doesn't sell). Same team (minus Craw) getting into the playoffs.....maybe a seed lower. :kickcan:

• Premium Member

Maybe - depends on future ownership. If they figure out a way to keep the league going and everything stays somewhat intact I could see a repeat of this year for our Hawks (if ASG doesn't sell). Same team (minus Craw) getting into the playoffs.....maybe a seed lower. :kickcan:

I hope not DJ. I've always tried to be positive about the Hawks, but this team is getting borderline unwatchable. I'm almost tired of seeing JJ, Al, Josh, Marv, and Craw out there playing 'loser' basketball. Something is wrong with this team and it looks like nobody wants to do a darn thing about it. Where's the leadership when things go bad on the court? Who's the go to guy? Is our only response to an opposing team's run shooting long jumpers? If so, why isn't anybody boxing out for offensive rebounds? Heck, why isn't anybody boxing out for defensive rebounds? Why can't the point guard bring the ball up and run the offense? Why are the bigs intent on leading the fast break instead of making good outlet passes and running the floor? These are issues a team shouldn't have to deal with when there's only a few games left in the season. What's weird is I can't think of any one person to blame. They ALL seem to be part of the problem. How the heck do you fix that??? :scratchhead:

Edited by hawkman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

This is what I see in the future:

JJ, Horf = Safe.

Marvin = untradable.

Hinrich = stays.

Everybody else will be part of the fire sale... but there will be no buyers.

So we will have the same team minus Crawford unless something great happen in the playoffs.

• Premium Member

JJ, Horf = Safe.

Marvin = untradable.

Hinrich = stays.

So we will have the same team minus Crawford unless something great happen in the playoffs.

Enjoy being mediocre Diesel.

In a way, I'm glad we're getting exposed. I'm sick of 'the core". And being exposed in the reg season beats the hell out of being exposed in the Playoffs. At least I'll be prepared for a debacle, and wont be so disappointed.

• Like 1

• Moderators

To answer the title question, "no, the team won't be blown up this season." Ownership is too committed to this group of players to do more than explore one significant move this offseason.

JJ, Horf = Safe.

Marvin = untradable.

Hinrich = stays.

I think we can move Joe. In fact, Joe and Marvin might fit in Memphis for Gay and Mayo. I also would keep Zaza. Zaza at least understands "play hard". He always give 100% effort.

I do think that the Hawks may be able to move Joe depending on what the new CBA looks like. But I don't think the Hawks would have to pick between salary relief and talent. Maybe someone like Loul Deng for Joe Johnson. I'm not sure that that kind of trade is what people are hoping for when they wish that Joe would get dealt.

Unfortunately I think the most likely trades will be the calls to trade Josh Smith for a "real center". Unfortunately I think the "real center" will be worse than the current all star center the Hawks have and the team will take another step back. Something like Josh Smith going out and Kaman coming in return. I really thought that Jordan Crawford was drafted to be a Jamal Crawford replacement. I don't think we can assess the odds of Jamal Crawford coming back until we see what the new CBA looks like.

The ASG this offseason pretty much just blamed Woodson for the disappointing playoffs and now its been shown that was a total mistake. This is a flawed roster and was a flawed roster under Woodson as well.

• Like 1

• Moderators

The ASG this offseason pretty much just blamed Woodson for the disappointing playoffs and now its been shown that was a total mistake.

I wouldn't say blaming Woodson was a total mistake unless you think that hiring his assistant was the right move. IMO, our predictable and exploitable defense and offense was a very big problem in the playoffs. Teams knew we would iso and that we would switch virtually every time on defense. When teams adjusted, we didn't. That is a coaching issue.

To say that the only problem was Woodson, however, is just wrong.

Unfortunately I think the most likely trades will be the calls to trade Josh Smith for a "real center". Unfortunately I think the "real center" will be worse than the current all star center the Hawks have and the team will take another step back. Something like Josh Smith going out and Kaman coming in return.

When evaluating a trade one should always look beyond just whether the talent is equal but rather does the talent fit better. Look at the Thunder, a gimpy and one dimensional Kendrick Perkins is not worth a multi-dimensional player in Green, versatile C in Krstic and a lotto pick from the Clippers talentwise but it allows the Thunder to be more conventional and better defensively and on the boards. Despite them having a perennial MVP candidate and all-star PG they still would not have been a real threat in the West because they lacked size and toughness and now they have that in droves in addition to moving a very talented player in Ibaka both to his natural position and the starting lineup.

The thinking should be no different for us, both teams were built unconventionally in terms of having combo's and tweeners fill out the roster yet despite having greater talent than us the Thunder still realized the need to be more conventional in their design if they truly wish to win the West yet alone a Finals. Why should the Hawks believe otherwise with their inferior talent pool? We are beyond the point of demanding all star players in return for our pseudo all stars both as fans and the owners and absolutely must look for a way to move players in order to address positions of need whether or not said player(s) have a PER as high or the same "potential" of whoever we send out.

• Like 1

When evaluating a trade one should always look beyond just whether the talent is equal but rather does the talent fit better. Look at the Thunder, a gimpy and one dimensional Kendrick Perkins is not worth a multi-dimensional player in Green, versatile C in Krstic and a lotto pick from the Clippers talentwise but it allows the Thunder to be more conventional and better defensively and on the boards. Despite them having a perennial MVP candidate and all-star PG they still would not have been a real threat in the West because they lacked size and toughness and now they have that in droves in addition to moving a very talented player in Ibaka both to his natural position and the starting lineup.

The thinking should be no different for us, both teams were built unconventionally in terms of having combo's and tweeners fill out the roster yet despite having greater talent than us the Thunder still realized the need to be more conventional in their design if they truly wish to win the West yet alone a Finals. Why should the Hawks believe otherwise with their inferior talent pool? We are beyond the point of demanding all star players in return for our pseudo all stars both as fans and the owners and absolutely must look for a way to move players in order to address positions of need whether or not said player(s) have a PER as high or the same "potential" of whoever we send out.

Extremely well said.

I kind of hope so we should start with Josh smith

I've been a Josh smith fan for awhile but I'm sick of him. He needs to freaking STOP taking long jumpers, I don't care if he hits all he jumpers and a few 3's when he is hanging out on the perimeter all the time it takes him away from the basket for inside scoring, rebounds, put backs.

We have guards on this team for a reason we don't need a shot blocking power forward hanging out at the 3 point line all night cause he thinks he can shoot jumpers now. It just compounds the problem that we do not have a legit center.

So unless josh can learn to stop playing from the perimeter I want him gone he is totally messing up our game plan.

Edited by swanlee
  • Like 1

When evaluating a trade one should always look beyond just whether the talent is equal but rather does the talent fit better. We are beyond the point of demanding all star players in return for our pseudo all stars both as fans and the owners and absolutely must look for a way to move players in order to address positions of need whether or not said player(s) have a PER as high or the same "potential" of whoever we send out.

This is how management should look at our team. Its is not about what we have anymore its about what we are missing in our starting lineup, and has been since Bibby's' game started deteriorating and it became obvious our combo of Horford and Smoove cannot at least check the bigger lineups in the league.

These past two losses completely exposed us. Blow out loss to a bigger better Bulls team, followed with a tough loss to a very talented and quick Philly team. We have no answer and our talent has started leveling out while others are passing us by. I am telling you now, Chicago, Philly, Indy and NY ( they need a another piece) are just getting warmed up.

Time to move a very talented player and we only have three of any decent starting caliber value. At least one of JJ, Horford, or Smoove will have to be moved to improve at least one of our weaknesses at PG or in the post.

Edited by Buzzard