• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dumb Ole Smoove

DJlaysitup

Did anyone else notice that in the early part of the 4th quarter I believe when Josh drove to the basket and didn't get the call after missing, he was throwing his arms up and looking around at the refs? Meanwhile, the ball was in no one's possession and it went right in his path but a second too late for Josh to react to get it for an easy putback? Sixers got the possession and Josh just shook his head again down the floor. I am really starting to hate how this guy carries himself. He has no professionalism whatsoever.

He's been doing that all year long. Woodson got on him for complaining too much to the refs, but Drew lets him argue as long as he wants.

I've been a Josh smith fan for awhile but I'm sick of him. He needs to freaking STOP taking long jumpers, I don't care if he hits all his jumpers and a few 3's when he is hanging out on the perimeter all the time it takes him away from the basket for inside scoring, rebounds, put backs.

We have guards on this team for a reason we don't need a shot blocking power forward hanging out at the 3 point line all night cause he thinks he can shoot jumpers now. It just compounds the problem that we do not have a legit center.

So unless josh can learn to stop playing from the perimeter I want him gone he is totally messing up our game plan.

Edited by swanlee
  • Like 3

• Premium Member

I've been a Josh smith fan for awhile but I'm sick of him. He needs to freaking STOP taking long jumpers, I don't care if he hits all his jumpers and a few 3's when he is hanging out on the perimeter all the time it takes him away from the basket for inside scoring, rebounds, put backs.

We have guards on this team for a reason we don't need a shot blocking power forward hanging out at the 3 point line all night cause he thinks he can shoot jumpers now. It just compounds the problem that we do not have a legit center.

So unless josh can learn to stop playing from the perimeter I want him gone he is totally messing up our game plan.

I'd +1 you, but I've already hit my quota.

• Moderators

I'd +1 you, but I've already hit my quota.

I did it in your stead. Nice post but before I am ready to throw Josh Smith out I am first firing the coach who apparently thinks it is a great idea to use Smith like that.

Edited by AHF
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I did it in your stead. Nice post but before I am ready to throw Josh Smith out I am first firing the coach who apparently thinks it is a great idea to use Smith like that.

There's a pretty big difference between thinking something is a great idea and giving up on fighting someone over a bad idea. He benched Josh down the stretch in our first game in Philly for taking ill-advised jumpers. He said after Al hit that 3 a couple weeks back that he was already fighting Josh over how many of those he can take. Clearly, it's not that LD thinks that Josh SHOULD be shooting those shots. He just has decided that it's not worth it to fight him over it.

That's not a positive reflection on LD, obviously. He should have more backbone on this issue, and that's one of the main reasons he needs to be fired. But let's not pretend that LD is telling him to go out there and be a perimeter jumpshooter. That's Josh's decision. It's a decision he made repeatedly during his seven years in the league. Last year he did it less, but he still did it way too much (and he was taking long 2s, which are the worst possible kind of shot).

Josh has been in the league 7 years. He doesn't want to hear it when his coaches tell him "don't shoot jumpers" and "stop trying to be a guard." He even went out and hired that Idan Ravin guy, the one who told him "You don’t need their approval, so stop looking in their direction" (I still can't get over that). Josh wants to prove he can do everything the guards can do far more than he wants to focus on his strengths. At this point in his career, changing coaches won't change that. And since the things Josh does well are mostly athleticism-dependent, he's running out of time to even take advantage of the strengths he has.

This is all a long way of saying - yes, LD needs to go, but let's not pretend that a new coach will suddenly make Josh see the light.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

That's my stand too. I would like to see LD fired after the playoffs and Mike Fratello hired. Give Mike a 3 year 12 Million dollar deal. Then I would Give Smoove until Dec. 15th to learn to play this game. If he is still doing the same stuff, he goes out for a good rookie and another player.

Josh had a nice 3 qtrs but once again he sabotaged the win with his rainbow jump shots in the 4th qtr. He also looked uninterested on defense in the 4th.

You'd look disinterested too, if you'd played damn near the whole game. 7 man rotation? What a joke of a coach that LD is. Edited by terrell

He's been doing that all year long. Woodson got on him for complaining too much to the refs, but Drew lets him argue as long as he wants.

I love how you turned 43% shooting in a quarter into costing us a game from a player who shot 62% for the game scored 33 and grabbed 12 boards....and completely ignore your boy Horford scoring 8 points on 12 shots and can't see that as being why we lost the game.

Or how you are ignoring Horford's averages over the last 2 months of 14.3 points and 8.9 rebounds and only drawing 2.3 free throws a game.

Or how you are ignoring JJ's 16.2 ppg and 2.4 t/o a game and only 2 Free throw attempts a game in February and March

and are continuing to ignore that Josh has led the team in scoring at 17.7 a game on 49.4% shooting the last 2 months while averaging 8.4 rebounds, 2.9 assists and lowering his turnovers over that time.

People on this board need to to start paying attention to the stats and stop being blinded by their hate. Josh has been the statistically best player on this team for months now.

Here are the stats the last 22 games (since the losing began)

.....................Josh..........Al..........Joe

Points.........17.7.........14.3.......16.2

Reb..............8.4............8.9..........3.9

*ss..............2.9.............3.8..........4.1

STL..............1.3........... .8............. .7

Bks.............1.4............ .8.............. .1

T/O............. 2.3 .......... 1.5 .........2.4

The problem is your 126 million dollar man and Al's dip since the all star game. Jamal has been just as big a problem.

• Like 3

CAM makes a great point. When Josh affects the team positively, he does it in many different ways. Highlight plays, huge blocks, tip slams, etc. Yet, when he affects the team negatively, he does it in even more ways. Lack of hustle, airballs, killed posessions, turnovers. Smoove is a +100/-100 player. Al is usually a +60/-30 player i'd say.

Well then Colin...I would say you are making things up in your own mind.

No offense..I do it too sometimes.

But CAM's and your point is somewhat silly IMO. Players all have bad games, sometimes get down, shoot an airball or two, and make dumb turnovers. We could easily make highlight reels of Smoove's dumb plays and Zaza's dumb plays. We could add in the rest of the guys and top it all off with Salim giving up he 7-point play that led to our epic 27-point lead collapse against Utah in the 4th quarter.

For the most part - Smoove is a major contributor. His "total stink it up" games aren't that often. He is a force in the paint that other teams fear...he is a guy that nobody messes with when he has a step on the break..he gets to the free throw line...and for the most part he is a more aggressive player than our others. Yes - he likes the outside shot - but he isn't terrible at it. He's actually a pretty good shooter.

To say to me that Smoove is some sort of failure because he is a damned good SF but would be helping our team more if he "grinded it out" at PF tells me that the ASG is a bunch of Duffusses. Just because the ASG can't (or won't) get a quality Center doesn't mean guys like Smoove and AL should have to sacrifice their careers for the sake of the Atlanta fans - who end up chanting "MVP" for other teams' guys anyway. :angry:

P.S. - How do you fix a team with a starting center who is really a PF...and a PF who is really a SF?....Hmmmm?...just my guess....get a quality Center. There you go - that's fixed - next question?

Edited by DJlaysitup
  • Like 1

By all means Smith is a terrific players,he does stuff that only a few can do in the nba. However having said that, he is not what this team needs, this team needs to utilize Horf and Joe more and less of Smith. The problem is that in Drew's offense whenever Horf or Joe get the ball they are doubled and Josh is the only one open on the perimeter so he is taking the most amount of shots nowadays. In order to win Josh shouldn't be taking the most shots on the perimeter and if he is taking the most shots it should be in the paint.

For the most part - Smoove is a major contributor. His "total stink it up" games aren't that often. He is a force in the paint that other teams fear...he is a guy that nobody messes with when he has a step on the break..he gets to the free throw line...and for the most part he is a more aggressive player than our others. Yes - he likes the outside shot - but he isn't terrible at it. He's actually a pretty good shooter.

To say to me that Smoove is some sort of failure because he is a damned good SF but would be helping our team more if he "grinded it out" at PF tells me that the ASG is a bunch of Duffusses. Just because the ASG can't (or won't) get a quality Center doesn't mean guys like Smoove and AL should have to sacrifice their careers for the sake of the Atlanta fans - who end up chanting "MVP" for other teams' guys anyway. :angry:

P.S. - How do you fix a team with a starting center who is really a PF...and a PF who is really a SF?....Hmmmm?...just my guess....get a quality Center. There you go - that's fixed - next question?

He is a force in the paint other teams fear? His stink up games aren't that often? How many games have you watched? The thing is Josh lacks poise and consistency. Even if Al has a bad night he sticks to his game plan or at least doesn't try and overdo things. When Josh isn't having success, he will continue making the same decisions (ill advised shots, risky passes, continual griping). It's almost a snowball effect with him.

Getting a quality center would help, but do you really think his game would change that much? He's been doing the same thing 7 years!!!

How many games have you watched? The thing is Josh lacks poise and consistency....

"Poise"..are you F*&^%-in insane? This isn't girls balance beam for Chr874st sakes...this is the NBA. I watch every game and we don't need Smoove to be a "poised" SF who can tip toe and stick a landing..you people who want a SF who can do it all - every time - get on my nerves. Smoove does it much more often than not (grinding my teeth). :comando:

"Poise"..are you F*&^%-in insane? This isn't girls balance beam for Chr874st sakes...this is the NBA. I watch every game and we don't need Smoove to be a "poised" SF who can tip toe and stick a landing..you people who want a SF who can do it all - every time - get on my nerves. Smoove does it much more often than not (grinding my teeth). :comando:

You can't win this argument man. I just supplied 2 months of stats that show Joe and Al performing worse than the first half of the season and Josh performing better. The stats also show Josh performing as well or better than both. Yet people ignore the obvious evidence and follow the mob mentality. 2 months of stats don't lie. The haters will continue to hate and they are the ones that will scream the loudest.

You can't win this argument man. I just supplied 2 months of stats that show Joe and Al performing worse than the first half of the season and Josh performing better. The stats also show Josh performing as well or better than both. Yet people ignore the obvious evidence and follow the mob mentality. 2 months of stats don't lie. The haters will continue to hate and they are the ones that will scream the loudest.

Until Josh learns how to:

1. Make an outlet pass

2. Make a chest pass

3. Get the ball to a guard so the offense can be run

4. Not puss out when he has 2 fouls

5. Play real defense on the ball

I give him ZERO latitude. He has no respect for the game and he is fundamentally retarded.

Oh and his "defense" in March? Steals + blocks = 25; Turnovers = 24. Oh and subtract 10 of those 15 blocks because the ball went to the other team after it was swatted out of bounds instead of resulting in a Hawks possession.

• Like 1

I love how you turned 43% shooting in a quarter into costing us a game from a player who shot 62% for the game scored 33 and grabbed 12 boards....and completely ignore your boy Horford scoring 8 points on 12 shots and can't see that as being why we lost the game.

Or how you are ignoring Horford's averages over the last 2 months of 14.3 points and 8.9 rebounds and only drawing 2.3 free throws a game.

Or how you are ignoring JJ's 16.2 ppg and 2.4 t/o a game and only 2 Free throw attempts a game in February and March

and are continuing to ignore that Josh has led the team in scoring at 17.7 a game on 49.4% shooting the last 2 months while averaging 8.4 rebounds, 2.9 assists and lowering his turnovers over that time.

People on this board need to to start paying attention to the stats and stop being blinded by their hate. Josh has been the statistically best player on this team for months now.

Here are the stats the last 22 games (since the losing began)

.....................Josh..........Al..........Joe

Points.........17.7.........14.3.......16.2

Reb..............8.4............8.9..........3.9

*ss..............2.9.............3.8..........4.1

STL..............1.3........... .8............. .7

Bks.............1.4............ .8.............. .1

T/O............. 2.3 .......... 1.5 .........2.4

The problem is your 126 million dollar man and Al's dip since the all star game. Jamal has been just as big a problem.

Perhaps it's because you are being picky and choosy with your stat tellin' all while making lil to no mention of Josh damn near having a 1 to 1 assist to turnover ratio and shooting 22% on threes on the same number of attempts over that arbitrary span of months you decided upon.......You know, the two most common things in addition to the pouting that people are actually complaining about with him. You are focusing on things like his scoring average which was obviously boosted during his best month of the season in February where he hung an average of 28 points on the Wizards, Bobcats, Suns, Warriors and Pistons. You are of course glassing over things like FGA's being lil to much higher than everyone else while his are assists actually much lower while his turnovers..erm, naw, they haven't dropped nearly as dramatically as the assists if at all like you claimed. Call out the haters all you want but don't pretend as if you are not purposefully serving your own agenda here by only calling attention to areas where Smoove may look favorable. You are trying to paint a picture as if Smoove has put up some Herculean performance over the past two months while Horf and Joe have disappeared into the ether all while offering practically zero context with the rest of their seasons.

• Like 1

My thing is even when Josh is performing well he is still hurting our team because he is performing well in the wrong areas. When he has a good shooting night and is hitting his long jumpers he is absent from the paint and that hurts us all around. We have guards on this team for a reason, our PF should not be hanging out on the 3 point line even if he is having a good night shooting.

If I were LD I'd fine him for every jumper he takes outside 17 ft.

Edited by swanlee