• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Is Josh Smith our best player?

Marvin24Williams

I usually bash Josh but I think he's easily our best player. Joe is not the same, doesn't get to the line, can't shoot, and can't drive. Horf is consistent but he can't create his own shot and can barely get to the free throw line atleast 6 times a game. Now you look at Josh who can: drive, pass (when hes being smart), good post moves (unorthodox looking though), can get to the ft line at will if he DECIDES to drive, same rebounding ability as horf, and is shooting a decent percentage from 3 land. (higher then joe) (.3% less then craw). This is just my opinion, whats yours?

FINISH STRONG HAWKS!!!!

Edited by WhassupHawks
  • Like 1

Yes yes yes... I have been saying this for years. When are people going to believe me? Once he gets his outside shot down he will be one of the elite players in the league. He has a great low-post game just needs a mid-range shot. That comes with practice. You can't teach someone to have a great inside game, thats natural talent.

• Like 1

I usually bash Josh but I think he's easily our best player. Joe is not the same, doesn't get to the line, can't shoot, and can't drive. Horf is consistent but he can't create his own shot and can barely get to the free throw line atleast 6 times a game. Now you look at Josh who can: drive, pass (when hes being smart), good post moves (unorthodox looking though), can get to the ft line at will if he DECIDES to drive, same rebounding ability as horf, and is shooting a decent percentage from 3 land. (higher then joe) (.3% less then craw). This is just my opinion, whats yours?

FINISH STRONG HAWKS!!!!

I don't think that we actually have a best player to be honest, and I don't mind that at all. It all depends on the matchups, last night the magic were double team Joe and took the risk of Josh shooting jumpers, so of course if Josh is making those open jumpers he is going to be our best player. On other days, Joe might be matched up with smaller guards and if we focus on feeding him in the post and playmaking in the post, he could be our best player. However if I had to choose one player as our best player, it would have to be Al Horford, he is almost always consistent on both offense and defense.

• Like 3

Yes yes yes... I have been saying this for years. When are people going to believe me? Once he gets his outside shot down he will be one of the elite players in the league. He has a great low-post game just needs a mid-range shot. That comes with practice. You can't teach someone to have a great inside game, thats natural talent.

"Once he gets his outside shot dow"?????

Are u kidding me? How many more year's do we have to wait for Josh to "get his outside shot down"?

Also, he doesn't have a "great low post game"....he is good near the basket cutting and slashing and

using his athleticism, but he doesn't have a "go to post move" that is reliable. Josh's mid range shooting

is OK. If Josh would just learn to take most of his shots inside 15 feet, he could average 20 a night easy.

The problem is Josh will have a nice game here and there and then go back to "Dumb Ole Smoove". Let's

see what he does in the 7 game series. Will he continue to attack inside or will he go back to being lazy

and jacking up 3's? We shall see.

• Like 1

I don't think that we actually have a best player to be honest, and I don't mind that at all. It all depends on the matchups, last night the magic were double team Joe and took the risk of Josh shooting jumpers, so of course if Josh is making those open jumpers he is going to be our best player. On other days, Joe might be matched up with smaller guards and if we focus on feeding him in the post and playmaking in the post, he could be our best player. However if I had to choose one player as our best player, it would have to be Al Horford, he is almost always consistent on both offense and defense.

IF he was coach-able he would be...but he's not...so no

• Like 1

• Premium Member

FINISH STRONG HAWKS!!!!

Best means... at this very moment. Not when all things are working right.

Josh is our highest potentialed player.... But not our best. Some nights, he shows that potential. Some nights, he screws us up. At no time though is Josh ever targetted by the defense as "this is the guy we need to stop". That credit goes to Joe. Like him or not, Joe is still our best player. However, I hope Josh and Horf can catch him.

Please describe Josh's low post game. What I have seen is that he's not a great low post defender nor does he have the will to be a good low post scorer... So how do you get "GREAT LOW POST GAME"??

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Joe = Most Consistent

Jamal = Most Explosive

Josh = Most Dynamic

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Best means... at this very moment. Not when all things are working right.

Josh is our highest potentialed player.... But not our best. Some nights, he shows that potential. Some nights, he screws us up. At no time though is Josh ever targetted by the defense as "this is the guy we need to stop". That credit goes to Joe. Like him or not, Joe is still our best player. However, I hope Josh and Horf can catch him.

Please describe Josh's low post game. What I have seen is that he's not a great low post defender nor does he have the will to be a good low post scorer... So how do you get "GREAT LOW POST GAME"??

plus one here. I think you have to consider the opposing team's game plan when they face the Hawks. I don't know for sure, but it appears to me stopping Joe is the main objective for all opposing teams. Labeling our best player is so subjective, it's hard to really pinpoint such a thing. Personally, if I had to keep one Hawk and start all over (don't want that, being hypothetical) I would keep Al. But that doesn't mean I think he's our most important/best player....I think Joe answers the ? of the thread.

Josh puts up waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too many wild shots down low (when he's actually playing down there) just looking for a foul. As stated, his talent would best be used if he viewed himself as a Shawn Marion type of player and not Earving Magic-Reggie Miller.

Edited by Bruin

If Josh is not our best player, he's close.

If Josh is not our dummest player, he's close.

Most athletic Hawk, without a doubt. Leaping tall buildings in a single bound.

Josh does great things - explosive - exciting! Now, if we could turn off some of

the dumb things he does, WOW! Sometimes. he seems to just quit thinking.

Yet, he talks a good game in his interviews..

:thankyou:

• Premium Member

I think he would be our best player by now if he just focused on playing like last season (minus the excessive complaining with the refs). But, nowadays we don't know what Smoove will be on the court, it's like Jeckyll & Hyde, so no, I don't think he's the best.

IF//WHEN he decides to play as a real PF (i.e., in the paint, shooting freebies and limiting he long-range Js) I believe he and Al will be the best frontcourt of the NBA. BY FAR. :kingchris:

GO HAWKS!

Yes he is our best player. I think if he can do what he did lately which is be in the paint alot more REGARDLESS if he is a starting PF or SF then he will go to another level.

Careful man...I gave full statistical support in 2 separate threads and I'm still pull the knives out of my back. Some people just won't see it.

When all teams game plan their defense to stop Josh on an every game basis, then he will be considered our best player. Right now the defensive game plan to defend Josh is give him room to shoot long jumpers.

Best player? No.

Most Talented/Athletic/Gifted/Nerve-Racking/Highlight-Making/Head-Scratching? Yup.

If he played to his strengths consistently and focused a little more on man defense, then and only then would I change my vote.

Not before.

• Like 1