• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta is 0-15 all time in second round

Sothron

• Premium Member

Yes, that means what you think it means. It is being talked about on ESPN and shown on the bottom ticker. The Hawks franchise since it left St. Louis ie the entire Atlanta Hawk franchise history has NEVER made it to the conference finals.

Just let that soak in for a minute. We not only have never won a title, we never have played FOR a title. We have never in fact even made it to the "Final Four" of the NBA. That is just depressing. Not once, ever, was this franchise in the conference finals. Not in the Pistol Pete days, not the Nique days, not the Deke/Mookie days, not in the current roster days. Never as in never.

I can only hope that this team makes the moves necessary to finally end that humiliating record. I don't know if there is any non expansion team since the mid 90's that has a post season record that bad.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Yup, and this is why I'm more and more believing a blow it up solution is better than a tweak solution.

Whatever does get blown up cannot leave behind residue like Bimbo Coles, JR Rider, and Theo Ratliff. Can we trust this management group to keep that from happening?

~lw3

• Like 1

You don't blow up a team to start over that got to the second round, how long did it take us to get back to this point when we last blew it up....memories are so short 13 and 26 win seasons....Yuck

I knew that and just about every longtime Hawks fan knows that as well. And as soon as tonight, another town (OKC or Memphis) will get to enjoy what we never have; a run to the conference finals. And if anyone want to question the fans as to why they refuse to show up to the arena to watch this franchise unless a superstar is in the house, well, as the slogan says, 'NOW YOU KNOW'.

I've been a sports fan for a long time; some longer than you, some much shorter. I've gotten to see the Falcons, who once had teams so bad that Georgia State would've paid $$$ to play them for Homecoming, reach the Super Bowl. I went through years of watching Rick Mahler (RIP) try to get outs with that 72-MPH heater of his, while Dale Murphy was the only bat in the lineup for the Braves. Yet the Braves, for all of their postseason failures, have a world title. When will it be the Hawks' time? When will our payoff come?

Being a Hawks fan is like being a poor guy watching from the outside window of some fancy restaurant as some billionaire rips into his 5th porterhouse steak. We've watched expansion teams win titles. We've seen teams we used to laugh at make runs to the Finals. And sure enough, we'll get to see a moved team make a similar run. But here? We'll get to talk about the CBA, moving (insert power forward here) for a big man, Jamal's replacement, and trying to find a GM dumb enough to dump Marvin Williams on.

Super start to a super summer, aint it???

Edited by Dejay

• Moderators

The Hawks franchise since it left St. Louis ie the entire Atlanta Hawk franchise history has NEVER made it to the conference finals.

Just let that soak in for a minute. We not only have never won a title, we never have played FOR a title. We have never in fact even made it to the "Final Four" of the NBA. That is just depressing. Not once, ever, was this franchise in the conference finals. Not in the Pistol Pete days, not the Nique days, not the Deke/Mookie days, not in the current roster days. Never as in never.

Actually we were in the "Final Four," in the Western Conference (then Western Division) finals in '69 and '70. So there! pleasantry.gif

The 0-15 stat is still correct though, that's why ESPN clarified it with "since the current division format was implemented" or whatever. Technically, if they wanted to include the '69 and '70 playoff teams, we'd be 0-17 in the "second round."

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

You don't blow up a team to start over that got to the second round, how long did it take us to get back to this point when we last blew it up....memories are so short 13 and 26 win seasons....Yuck

But, how do you propose getting us to move past the 2nd round?

The NBA model is to acquire a top 5 player via the draft. It is extremely rare to find an NBA championship team that doesn't have a guy they drafted as one of their top players and a top 5 NBA player. The one exception are the Pistons when they beat the feuding Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

I take the Bulls as a great example of just admitting you made a mistake and getting back to the lottery to find that top flight talent. They tried lotto land for what a decade and a half before hitting on Rose. Not a great prospect, but at the same time, the Bulls fans now know they have a shot.

I really don't know what is worse: having a team that is somewhat good, but knowing they have no ability to get any better, or having an awful team that you know has a chance of getting better.

Maybe there is a solution by moving a guy like Smith for an established vet or an up and coming player, but I don't know who that guy is or why his team would move him. I guess if Howard forces Orlando to deal that would be the most likely option, but likely here is a subjective term.

Wow, just wow

That is something that really make you think about where is this team going, through the years through some of the greatest players that played here like Doc Rivers, Pistol Pete, Nique, Tree Rollins, Kevin Wills, and others that wore the Hawks uniform and never got into the CF never. I think that if we dont figure out where we are going, it will never happen in our lifetime. :resent:

• Premium Member

Even more depressing is that us and the Clippers are quite possibly the only clubs with a 40 year history that haven't reached the final four - in all of pro sports. I had started a post about this a while ago and I was in the middle of looking up baseball's history when I had to stop. There may be one or two clubs in baseball as miserable as us, I think just the Expos, but it's really a distinction that I'm sick of.

• Moderators

Even more depressing is that us and the Clippers are quite possibly the only clubs with a 40 year history that haven't reached the final four - in all of pro sports. I had started a post about this a while ago and I was in the middle of looking up baseball's history when I had to stop. There may be one or two clubs in baseball as miserable as us, I think just the Expos, but it's really a distinction that I'm sick of.

I believe that one MLB team was the Wash. Senators/ Texas Rangers (emphasis on "was"). The 'spos/Nats don't have a 40-year history yet (<--- Wrong, plus they made the 1981 NLCS). And as noted above it's "no Final Four in the last 40 years" or "no Final Four since 1970" since the Atlanta Hawks reached the Final Four in 1969 and 1970.

~lw3

Edited by lethalweapon3

I checked the teams out and baseball is accounted for. The Texas Rangers took themselves off the list with their run to the World Series last year. The Expos/Nationals franchise was in the NLCS in the strike-shortened '81 season (losing to the Dodgers) so they have a hall pass, too. The Clippers and Hawks occupy the only two seats in the detention hall. The Clippers shouldn't really be mentioned because their owner publically stated that he's in it for the $$$ and have always made moves to save $$$, not to win. The Hawks are a different breed because they talk tough about wanting to win this and that, hire the wrong people to run the show, all while blaming the fans for having the common sense to see them for who they truly are; a wannebee.

You have to be a brave soul to support either franchises...

we need the change our style of play. We need to become a gritty defensive team and stop with the finesse jumpshooting crap. Just look at the last couple ECFs.

Heat and Bulls 2011

Celtics and magic 2010

Cavaliers and magic 2009

Celitcs and Pistons 2008

Cavaliers and Pistons 2007

if anyone want to check their defensive ratings for each team that would help. Im sure all of them were top 3 defensive teams.

Edited by yungsta

The Clippers have had more talent than the Hawks over the last 40 years as well. They just lose it one way or another. The Hawks signings and drafts are probably some of the worst in American professional sports history.

we need the change our style of play. We need to become a gritty defensive team and stop with the finesse jumpshooting crap. Just look at the last couple ECFs.

Heat and Bulls 2011

Celtics and magic 2010

Cavaliers and magic 2009

Celitcs and Pistons 2008

Cavaliers and Pistons 2007

if anyone want to check their defensive ratings for each team that would help. Im sure all of them were top 3 defensive teams.

We don't have the personnel. Our personnel is too limited.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

The Clippers have had more talent than the Hawks over the last 40 years as well. They just lose it one way or another. The Hawks signings and drafts are probably some of the worst in American professional sports history.

We don't have the personnel. Our personnel is too limited.

thats why i am up for blowing up this team or ATLEAST trade for a Defensive/rebounding center and some defensive wing players. We need players like a mikeal pietrus/shane battier/matt barnes. and get a better coach.

We need to get rid of marvin,/ DONT RESIGN JAMAL/ and im up for trading horford too.

Edited by yungsta

• Moderators

Its better to keep trying than blow it up. New Orleans, Orlando, Nuggets, Utah all struck gold in the lottery and landed franchise superstars. What did it get them? Not much more than where we've gotten. So you have slim chance of getting a top draft pick, a slim chance that a superstar will be available, and then you have to make sure you get the right one and he doesn't get hurt. If we sucked I'd be all for it but we don't. We have some great talent. We just need to turn it into a cohesive team probably by trade.

Its better to keep trying than blow it up. New Orleans, Orlando, Nuggets, Utah all struck gold in the lottery and landed franchise superstars. What did it get them? Not much more than where we've gotten. So you have slim chance of getting a top draft pick, a slim chance that a superstar will be available, and then you have to make sure you get the right one and he doesn't get hurt. If we sucked I'd be all for it but we don't. We have some great talent. We just need to turn it into a cohesive team probably by trade.

When i mean blow up the team i dont mean tanking for a lottery pick. I mean just changing the whole personnel of the team. The last thing i want to do is going back to a team that gets ran over every night for another decade.

thats why i am up for blowing up this team or ATLEAST trade for a Defensive/rebounding center and some defensive wing players. We need players like a mikeal pietrus/shane battier/matt barnes. and get a better coach.

We need to get rid of marvin,/ DONT RESIGN JAMAL/ and im up for trading horford too.

The Center that everyone wants is not available. Just a bunch of overpriced non-impact players. We can't trade our impact players. We only have three of them and that's still not enough talent to win when teams like Chicago have a superstar and a host of very good specialty role players or Miami who has two superstars and another impact player. We are a rock in a tough place right now.

We tired to trade Marvin, he's Alan Henderson. He's here to stay. We must resign Jamal no matter what. He's a need. No way should we trade Horford, especially if D12 isn't an option for the team.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

This means we are the 1995-1998 Hawks again, oh boy. :no2:

I think you try to make one big move to get a guy like Howard or Paul. If that doesn't happen, go back to the lottery.

The Center that everyone wants is not available. Just a bunch of overpriced non-impact players. We can't trade our impact players. We only have three of them and that's still not enough talent to win when teams like Chicago have a superstar and a host of very good specialty role players or Miami who has two superstars and another impact player. We are a rock in a tough place right now.

We tired to trade Marvin, he's Alan Henderson. He's here to stay. We must resign Jamal no matter what. He's a need. No way should we trade Horford, especially if D12 isn't an option for the team.

So what you are saying that we should just stay put, since we cant make any moves because of financial liabitities and cant get a good offer? That will be the quickest way to lose more fans because it doesnt show them that the Hawks is committment to win a NBA Championship but just being Second Round Foddlers. But to each its own.