• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Are the Mavs Tainting the NBA?

TRUEINTELLECTPLAYA

• Premium Member

Not even in the same ballpark. So was cocaine and marijuana. I say life would be better with both of them legal as opposed to alcohol since alcohol is the one that has never been used for medical reasons and does more reported damage to the body than marijuana.

Actually, Life would be better if those things were legal.

50% of Federal prisoners and 68% of state prisoners are there because drug sales offenses.

I'm really not a proponent of legalizing drugs.. but if you were to legalize it, tax it, and create addiction centers with the incoming tax funds, life would be better.

1. Less prisoners... less need for prisons.

2. Sale of drugs - revenue.

3. Nationalized drug sales would put everybody else out of business.

4. The price of drugs would deter most folks from buying drugs.

• Premium Member

Not even in the same ballpark. So was cocaine and marijuana. I say life would be better with both of them legal as opposed to alcohol since alcohol is the one that has never been used for medical reasons and does more reported damage to the body than marijuana.

Actually, Life would be better if those things were legal.

50% of Federal prisoners and 68% of state prisoners are there because drug sales offenses.

I'm really not a proponent of legalizing drugs.. but if you were to legalize it, tax it, and create addiction centers with the incoming tax funds, life would be better.

1. Less prisoners... less need for prisons.

2. Sale of drugs - revenue.

3. Nationalized drug sales would put everybody else out of business.

4. The price of drugs would deter most folks from buying drugs.

Aaaaand I didn't mean for this to become a political discussion. I will say, however, that it's just not true that alcohol has never been used for medical reasons.

You have to shoot a team out of a zone.

The Heat have to shoot better. Lebron lost all confidence in his shot vs. that zone. Marion is a tank in himself. His is one of the few SFs who can get physical with Lebron.

I don't know who gave you the -1, but I gave you a +1 to get you back to zero.

I agree. You have to shoot a team out of a zone.

Now granted, the way to ATTACK the zone, is to get the ball into the middle. But the whole purpose of doing that is to have the zone collapse to that man, so that the middle man can kick it to a baseline runner going to the goal, or to a shooter that is wide open on the perimeter. Even if it is a guard who attacks the middle, the same principle applies.

If you can't make wide open shots when a team is in a zone, you're dead.

I don't enjoy watching the Mavs play at all. They flop everyone down the court. That just isn't my style. A bunch of euro-style floppers.

What ? You can't be serious !

Wade and James are the actors playing the flop. Even the commentators harp on it all game if you watch the game with volume.

• Like 1

• Moderators

What ? You can't be serious !

Wade and James are the actors playing the flop. Even the commentators harp on it all game if you watch the game with volume.

Lebron had a nice one that started a discussion on how there should be someone in the Commish's office to punish that type of flopping. I wouldn't want to be an official trying to figure out what was legit and what wasn't. I do like the idea of someone under the Commish fining and suspending floppers based on a video review.

Lebron had a nice one that started a discussion on how there should be someone in the Commish's office to punish that type of flopping. I wouldn't want to be an official trying to figure out what was legit and what wasn't. I do like the idea of someone under the Commish fining and suspending floppers based on a video review.

What about Wade flayling his arms and legs in mid-air after losing he handle on a rebound ? They called a foul on Kidd even though replay showed no one touched Wade and Kidd was at least a foot away from him. Then when a call doesn't go their way they cry like babies.

Edited by coachx

• Moderators

What about Wade flayling his arms and legs in mid-air after losing he handle on a rebound ? They called a foul on Kidd even though replay showed no one touched Wade and Kidd was at least a foot away from him. Then when a call doesn't go their way they cry like babies.

No doubt. I just cited the Lebron one since it started a debate among the commentators.

After the raping the officials gave Dallas during their last series against Miami and Wade, I am not going to hear any whining about flopping from Dallas. Miami deserves whatever they get.

If it was legal back then, they would be using it too.

It wasn't though. When people bring up the conversations of whose better, Kobe, Michael, Lebron, and so on changing of such major rules make those arguments kinda silly and can be looked at as changing the game to the point where you taint it. My original post covered that thought.

I see nuttin at all wrong with Dallas playing the zone, even if that's a tacit admission that they are over-matched trying to play man against Miami. The reality is that they ARE over-matched trying to play man against the damn Super Friends. They simply cannot match up to the Heat's quickness. What they're doing with that zone is protecting the paint (and protecting Chandler from fouling out) and forcing Miami to shoot it from outside, they're slowing the tempo down, and in switching between zone and man they're doing their best to keep the Heat off-balance.

I say whatever it takes to win, do it, and they are. There is nothing at all wrong with that, especially given how every team in basketball is at a distinct disadvantage to the Heat and their three stars.

• Moderators

It wasn't though. When people bring up the conversations of whose better, Kobe, Michael, Lebron, and so on changing of such major rules make those arguments kinda silly and can be looked at as changing the game to the point where you taint it. My original post covered that thought.

Changing the handchecking rules, introducing the 3pt shot, changing the interpretation of traveling rules, etc. likewise destroyed the integrity of the game. In football, the game has changed even more radically with rules protecting qbs and wrs from being hit opening new worlds of less physical spread and shotgun offenses.

I don't buy this argument at all.

• Premium Member

Changing the handchecking rules, introducing the 3pt shot, changing the interpretation of traveling rules, etc. likewise destroyed the integrity of the game. In football, the game has changed even more radically with rules protecting qbs and wrs from being hit opening new worlds of less physical spread and shotgun offenses.

I don't buy this argument at all.

What are you talking about? Basketball rules have rarely changed. I mean, the original rules of basketball written by James Naismith is totally similar to the game that's played today (well, except for the whole "no dribbling" bit):

1. The ball may be thrown in any direction with one or both hands.
  2. The ball may be batted in any direction with one or both hands.
  3. A player cannot run with the ball. The player must throw it from the spot on which he catches it, allowance to be made for a man who catches the ball when running at a good speed if he tries to stop.
  4. The ball must be held in or between the hands; the arms or body must not be used for holding it.
  5. No shouldering, holding, striking, pushing, or tripping in any way of an opponent. The first infringement of this rule by any person shall count as a foul; the second shall disqualify him until the next basket is made or, if there was evident intent to injure the person, for the whole of the game. No substitution shall be allowed.
  6. A foul is striking at the ball with the fist, violation of rules three and four and such described in rule five.
  7. If either side makes three consecutive fouls, it shall count a goal for the opponents (consecutive means without the opponents in the mean time making a foul).
  8. A goal shall be made when the ball is thrown or batted from the grounds into the basket and stays there (without falling), providing those defending the goal do not touch or disturb the goal. If the ball rests on the edges, and the opponent moves the basket, it shall count as a goal.
  9. When the ball goes out of bounds, it shall be thrown into the field of play and played by the first person touching it. In case of dispute the umpire shall throw it straight into the field. The thrower-in is allowed five seconds. If he holds it longer, it shall go to the opponent. If any side persists in delaying the game, the umpire shall call a foul on that side.
  10. The umpire shall be the judge of the men and shall note the fouls and notify the referee when three consecutive fouls have been made. He shall have power to disqualify people according to Rule 5.
  11. The referee shall be judge of the ball and shall decide when the ball is in play, in bounds, to which side it belongs, and shall keep the time. He shall decide when a goal has been made and keep account of the baskets, with any other duties that are usually performed by a scorekeeper.
  12. The time shall be two fifteen-minute halves, with five minutes rest between.
  13. The side making the most points in that time is declared the winner.

It was all downhill from there. I mean, look at all the crap they introduced after that

- 3-second rule (1936)

- Banned zone defenses (1947)

- Banned defensive interference (1949)

- Started letting black players play (1950)

- Widened the lane to 12 feet (1952)

- Introduced the shot clock (1954)

- No dunking free throws (sometime in the early 60s)

- Widened the lane to 16 feet (1964)

- Introduced the 3-point line (1979)

- Moved in the 3-point line (1994)

- Tightened hand-checking rules (1994)

And that's just a few of the changes.

I miss the good old days when there was no shot clock and the game was dominated by Jewish teams. Maybe then saying "I played basketball in the Maccabi Games" would draw praise instead of blank stares or recounting of the

joke from Airplane! Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

I think it's funny to say that using the zone means the win wasn't respectable. The zone wasn't legal and now is. On the other hand, the hand check and the charge area have changed as well, and few teams in nba history benefit more from those changes than this heat team. There is a reason why lebron and wade shoot free throws at a higher rate than even jordan did. Is it not respectable to force contact in the no charge zone like they do because that wasn't in the rules before?

As for respectable:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RdvwepbKG9E

HuR88.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foaPMZxtzx4

Edited by dlpin

I don't enjoy watching the Mavs play at all. They flop everyone down the court. That just isn't my style. A bunch of euro-style floppers.

REALLLLLY?.... other than JJ Berea and "all important" Brian Cardinal, who exactly flops on their squad? Unlike Miami whom players throw themselves all over the floor trying to draw defensive fouls? Dallas plays beautiful offensive ball and defensively they do what they have to, IMO.

After watching the Miami flops, the entire Mavs team should flop in unison the next time James goes in for a dunk. Maybe they'll get a charging foul. The more I watch of James the less I like him. My gosh, just drive the ball and take the contact instead of pretending it.