• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Straight out the frying pan into the fire!

Joker

Joe to Chicago, wowzers, couldn't say that I didn't see it coming, he is the perfect fit for them. But won't trading away a piece like Joe mean that we are lottery bound? I think the franchise is ready for another rebuilding process and Horf is going to have to suffer through it because no way are the owners giving him up.

• Premium Member

Who was that guy posting a month ago posing the question "will this be the drabbest draft ever" or something to that effect?

Oh.

Never mind.

:doh:

Hey, even I make mistakes.

:D

Joe to Chicago, wowzers, couldn't say that I didn't see it coming, he is the perfect fit for them. But won't trading away a piece like Joe mean that we are lottery bound? I think the franchise is ready for another rebuilding process and Horf is going to have to suffer through it because no way are the owners giving him up.

I would say they are trying to create cap room for 2012 which was what I heard their plan was before the playoffs started but NO was still taking offers for CP3 so I just hoped for the best but I guess it is 2012 FA for Atlanta in their minds. The Joe potential blockbuster is is all on Det trading the pick or next yr pick (unprotected).

• Premium Member

Nothing Sund has said has led me in any way to believe that they're tearing down the roster.

• Moderators

Geez what a mess. I've been on board with trading Joe but was his season so bad that they now want to unload him for nothing in return? He wasn't that much different from the guy they gave a max contract to save the injury. What massive incompetence.

So we trade our all star SG for nothing and then what? Sign Jamal?

So we're building around Teague and Horford (and I guess accidentally Marvin). Well I"ll admit that team will contend for the championship....of the NCAA. MIght as well take Rip. At least he'll take an open shot.

• Premium Member

Hmm...Joe Johnson -for- Richard Hamilton. Am I allowed to snicker?

If the Hawks do "dump" Joe and still want to trade Josh, then they need to find a way to move Marvin in that second trade for a player whose contract is a year shorter.

• Premium Member

Trading Joe to Chicago and chicago losing Boozer means that Chicago has locked up the East for the next 5 yrs.

But the great news for the Hawks is that the Owners will have more money in their pockets... and will maintain a seat at the draft lottery!

• Like 1

• Premium Member

But haven't we already decided that Sund is more of the Managements mascot, and isn't really running the show?

"We?"

No.

It's a popular notion with some number, but it's certainly not a given, and I'm not even sure it's a majority view... closer to an urban myth that a few fans like to parrot from time to time out of angst toward ASG... that is, if you ask me (... and you did).

Seriously... having an adult conversation about it... it's just a difficult premise to legitimize, regardless, w/o the use of hidden cams and mics... but all the more so, when all Sund does essentially is congruent with his history with previous franchises--ie, following a core-group, long-term philosophy. It should surprise no one that ASG wanted to hire someone who conformed to that since they clearly bought into it under the previous GM.

Edited by sturt

Wowzers nbasup. Good thread for a boring offseason so far. If we get a Detroit's first I don't see it being as bad as y'all think. We weren't gonna win a championship with Joe as the superstar, and without Craw probably wouldn't make it out of the first this year. RIP is great off the ball and fits Drew's motion offense to a T. He is a decent stopgap and with that pick it gives the leisure to pick a future SG (Alec Burks a young Eddie Jones/Brandon Roy type) on a much cheaper contract than Joe's. Doubt it happens though I want to be surprised.

Trading Joe to Chicago and chicago losing Boozer means that Chicago has locked up the East for the next 5 yrs.

But the great news for the Hawks is that the Owners will have more money in their pockets... and will maintain a seat at the draft lottery!

This might be a deal that might happen after the draft if at all if Detroit gives Atlanta what they want. This gives Detroit have a legit chance at building a team with Boozer, Monroe, Daye, and whoever they draft. This sets Chicago up to win the East and championships. Atlanta clearly becomes a late lotto team after these trades. I think their focus is getting assets and getting Deron, CP3, or Dwight in FA if this actually happens. The Josh Smith talks been seeming real but I though we had a legit shot at an elite talent but oh well.

Joe to Chicago = ::sadRestoftheNBA::

Why is Al so untouchable (pause)? It makes no since to me.

He's a very good all around player who has a couple of elite traits. We just don't have the player who can utilize Al the way we should. Makes a ton of sense for Al to be our franchise player. If no one is trading a superstar to us, Joe could be a nuisance in the future. Not saying he wil but I could see the train of thought. Atlanta specifically wants certain things so I wouldn't be too worried. If we can get a lotto pick in next years draft. I would be happy. Having Harrison Barnes, Quincy Miller, Perry Jones, or Austin Rivers> 30 yr old Joe Johnson for us.

Edited by nbasuperstar40

If during the last offseason, we were offered Joe for 1 year, 16.3 million dollar offer, #8 pick in the 2011 draft, plus Rip Hamilton, how would you feel?

Consider that the alternative would be a 6 yr/$121 million deal.

I would love for this to happen because I think down the road, this Joe Johnson deal would blow up in our face. Rip isn't great, but he's a stop gap. Kemba with #8 can make Rip a reserve.

If during the last offseason, we were offered Joe for 1 year, 16.3 million dollar offer, #8 pick in the 2011 draft, plus Rip Hamilton, how would you feel?

Consider that the alternative would be a 6 yr/$121 million deal.

I would love for this to happen because I think down the road, this Joe Johnson deal would blow up in our face. Rip isn't great, but he's a stop gap. Kemba with #8 can make Rip a reserve.

Kemba really isn't a starting 5 guy. He's more of a sixth man. I'm a UConn grad, so I don't take this as me hating on the guy, I really like his college game. The problem is his size and high volume shooting is more suited for a sixth man role in the NBA.