• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So no mention of Joe's great game?

Sothron

• Premium Member

I'm not exactly shocked but the guy almost had a triple double and looked like the ol' Joe out there against the Bobcats a team we usually struggle to beat. Does one game make up for the rest of the season so far? Of course not. But it does perhaps show he's starting to improve and get back to the same 20/5/5 guy we gave a max deal to and not the Allan Houston on dying knees days he has been showing.

I certainly hope he is coming back to form. I noticed the almost triple double as well, I wondered if that was just a product of being single covered for most of the game or them running better plays for him or him just being more assertive about scoring. Either way I think we need more of it on days Teague is afraid to contribute on a consistent basis.

• Premium Member

I was going to post in here sarcastically saying "he did what he's supposed to do" but some people already beat me to it except they are dead serious..... A good game is a good game and Joe should be commended for it. Josh is making a s*** ton of money too so you can't go ahead and blow him for his numbers like he's some sort of rookie or vet min guy and then say meh to Joe. I mean, Kobe scored 40 in back to back games but he's getting paid 30 million dollars so he did what he's supposed to do so nothing to see there.

Good point. I have heard two stories in sports this week. Tim Teabow. And Kobe back to back 40 pt games. IF Kobe can get Tebow press for back to back 40 pt games, Joe can get something.

• Premium Member

I was going to post in here sarcastically saying "he did what he's supposed to do" but some people already beat me to it except they are dead serious..... A good game is a good game and Joe should be commended for it. Josh is making a s*** ton of money too so you can't go ahead and blow him for his numbers like he's some sort of rookie or vet min guy and then say meh to Joe. I mean, Kobe scored 40 in back to back games but he's getting paid 30 million dollars so he did what he's supposed to do so nothing to see there.

Great post. I love how the people who defend Horford and Josh when they have bad games never mention their salary but if Joe has a bad game that's all you hear.

• Premium Member

As I said before, I have to chuckle at the hypocrisy so rampant in this thread.

Joe has a bad game...

"Joe needs to play better! He's getting paid!"

Joe has a good game...

"So what! He gets paid! If he plays well he deserves zero credit but if he has a bad game then CRUCIFY HIM TO OUR GODS!"

Amusing. I am glad this doesn't apply to our other players. If all people here did was whine when guys had good games because "they are paid to do so" then the people complaining about bad games would be left in the cold. How dare a player perform well in a game, the nerve!

• Like 1

Since Joe is the highest paid players, most people expect him to average over 30 and double digits in rebounds and assists, along with a couple of steals and blocks a game. Then people will give him credit. I thought he played good last night.

• Premium Member

Funny how JJ gets bashed for not producing at the level of other max players, while Josh and Horford get a pass for not producing like Blake Griffin or Kevin Love. After all, those guys are putting up 20/10 numbers even though they are only getting half of what Horford and Josh make.

In each case, the only reason the players used as a comparison are making as "little" as (or less than) our guys is because of idiotic salary rules imposed by the league. Blake Griffin and Kevin Love would have gotten much bigger contracts coming out of college, but the league says rookies can't make more than a certain amount. D-Wade would be making $25M and LeBron $35M this year, but the league says no one can make more than a certain amount.

But somehow, Joe is overpaid for not producing like guys who make almost as much as him, but Josh isn't overpaid for not producing as much as guys getting paid less than half of what he makes.

So I guess the lesson is that we should never be impressed when one of our guys making 8-figure salaries has a good game. After all, at their salary level, they should be having those games every night, right?

(Hell, for $12.5M, shouldn't we at least expect Josh to figure out WHY it is that teams always leave him open on the perimeter? Or is being a total dumbass about offensive positioning every night ok for someone making his salary?)

I wish the haters would remember that before they snort at a good game by Joe (you know, the guy that NBA COACHES have selected to 5 straight All-Star games) while singing the praises or Al (2) or Josh (zero) whenever they go off. But I won't hold my breath.

Edited by niremetal
  • Like 1

I dont think its a matter of comparison, niremetal. It's an expectation of quality. I don't expect him to play like Kobe, but I also don't expect him to decline immediately after getting a huge contract. Also! I don't think its a given he will be selected to the All Star team this year. He will have to really heat up, and I hope he does with Horford out. Because he was utterly disappointing last year and not really impressive so far, its no wonder people aren't singing his praises after we beat one of the worst teams in our conference.

Edited by EazyRoc

This is expected of Joe - he just hasn't produced. Josh Smith? a different story, when Josh plays like this we are harder to beat.

+1 this is what we expect of Joe. He put up numbers like this most of his career. He is the highest paid player on the team, and one of the highest paid players in the league. Enough said

• Premium Member

+1 this is what we expect of Joe. He put up numbers like this most of his career. He is the highest paid player on the team, and one of the highest paid players in the league. Enough said

So is Kobe. Who doesn't expect 40 from Kobe? However, when you get it, it's still news worthy. Even if it's 42 points, 1 rebound, 0 assists. Kobe still gets headlines and love and they say "Kobe led us to victory".

Joe on the other hand is cursed regardless of what he does.

So is Kobe. Who doesn't expect 40 from Kobe? However, when you get it, it's still news worthy. Even if it's 42 points, 1 rebound, 0 assists. Kobe still gets headlines and love and they say "Kobe led us to victory".

Joe on the other hand is cursed regardless of what he does.

So Joe scoring 23 points should share the headlines with Kobe scoring 42?

Edited by High5