• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Joe Johnson in 3pt contest

EAambassador

• Moderators

Whither the Swan? Or at least Teague, if we're saving Marvin for the Shooting Stars and they absolutely had to have a Hawk in there. The NBA can't afford ATL-MCO airfare for more than one player?

Should a 35% shooter be showcased on Saturday Night?

Contestants:

Ryan Anderson, Anthony Morrow, James Jones, Mario Chalmers, Kevin Love, Joe Johnson

~lw3

• Moderators

Teague isn't there because he isn't a great 3pt shooter. People gameplan to make sure Joe isn't open from 3pt range. They don't gameplan around Teague's perimeter shooting.

Given JJ's past ummm..... less than optimum All-Star performances, it would be nice to see him get hot this year. Maybe the 3pt contest will give him some additional motivation.

Should a 35% shooter be showcased on Saturday Night?

He wouldn't be my pick, but he is the most worthy Hawk, IMO. If JJ took the limited and nicely open looks that Teague and Marvin shoot, he would have a much higher %.

Teague isn't there because he isn't a great 3pt shooter. People gameplan to make sure Joe isn't open from 3pt range. They don't gameplan around Teague's perimeter shooting.

You know that Teague is shooting 45% from threes right? You say that they make it to where Joe doesnt get many threes. He shot 8 threes last night and made only 1. Teague always hits his open threes, and correct me if I am wrong, but isnt that what the three point contest is all about?

You know that Teague is shooting 45% from threes right? You say that they make it to where Joe doesnt get many threes. He shot 8 threes last night and made only 1. Teague always hits his open threes, and correct me if I am wrong, but isnt that what the three point contest is all about?

I totally agree with hawkrule on this one. Its all about who knocks them down.

• Moderators

I'm just hoping it's nothing YouTubable, like, "First NBA Player to Airball ENTIRE Rack!" or something, or "NBA Three-Point Contestant Dribbles 10 Times Before Each Shot!"

The Twitterati is already going in on Joe, which is nothing new, just amplified with today's selection.

~lw3

• Moderators

My opinion is that if JJ took the quality of 3pters that Teague did and Teague took the quality of 3pters that JJ did, Teague's 3pt% would plummet while JJ's would shoot up past Teague's.

The other aspect of the 3pt shootout is speed. Teague isn't made for ripping through 25 shots in short succession. His release is slower than JJ's.

I think they made the right choice among the Hawks, but I don't think the Hawks have anyone I would put in this contest.

I totally agree with hawkrule on this one. Its all about who knocks them down.

Teague is 4th on the team as far as the number he knocks down. He doesn't even average 1 per game. This is a big stretch to suggest he should be on the short list for the 3pt shootout, guys.

Teague is tied for 78th in the league in 3pters made. Joe Johnson is 13th in 3pters made. I think this is a factor in the selection.

He's going to run out of time with 3 racks left.

Haha High5...you beat me to it biggrin.png ...my first thought was "will he be able to get to all the balls before time runs out"? lol6.gif

To be fair though - if he gets on a roll I could see him doing pretty good.

Edited by DJlaysitup

My opinion is that if JJ took the quality of 3pters that Teague did and Teague took the quality of 3pters that JJ did, Teague's 3pt% would plummet while JJ's would shoot up past Teague's.

Well let's not try to pretend that Joe takes a majority of contested step back 3s like he did in Detroit either. He attempts them mostly in transition where the defense isn't settled or off of screens or plays where Josh or Teague draw the defense. In fact Joe is assisted on 84.6% of his threes, yes even higher than Teague so I will agree that there is a greater degree of difficulty considering volume of attempts but not in the type of attempts.

I see Joe spent all game practicing his 3-pt shot for the All-star game...smh. He took 10 shots, 5 from 3, he went 1-5, that's what he will go from each rack....I'm kidding. But Joe has been shooting too many 3's the last few games. Took 8 against LA,

• Moderators

If I was a betting man, I'd have to put my money on Anthony Morrow or Ryan Anderson.

That said, I'd love to see Joe win, of course. If he can get into a nice groove early on he definitely has a good chance.

Morrow would probably be my bet. Anderson was pretty amazing last night.