• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA coach: 'Good' Josh can kill you, 'Bad' Josh becomes our sixth man

GameTime

http://www.wsbtv.com/weblogs/zach-klein-sports-blog/2012/feb/22/nba-coach-good-josh-can-kill-you-bad-josh-becomes-/

What does Hawks forward Josh Smith have to do to earn an All-Star Game invitation?

Wednesday, Joe Johnson pulled out of the All-Star game with a knee injury and instead of going with his teammate to replace him on the Eastern Conference roster, the NBA will send Boston Celtics guard Rajon Rondo to Orlando. This is the same Rajon Rondo who was suspended this week for two games for throwing a ball at a referee.

Recently, I spoke with two NBA coaches and promised their anonymity so they could speak freely about Smith. While both coaches said Smith would, without question, make their team better, both do not believe he is an All-Star yet.

Why?

"He doesn't play hard the entire game," said one Eastern Conference coach. "If you break down an 82-game season, he's an All-Pro for 30, very average for 30 and does not show up to the arena for 20 of them. An 'All-Star' does not do that"

The problem, according to both coaches, is Smith's love affair with the long jumper.

"He takes long two-pointers, which is the worst shot in the game," said the Eastern coach. "We hope he scores his first two shots, because we know he'll keep shooting from out there."

The NBA three-point line is at 22 feet in the corners, 23 feet 9 inches at the top of the key.

Long two-pointers are from 20-22 feet and this year Smith has attempted 71 of them, shooting 36 percent.

Of the other All-Star reserves, all of which are picked by Eastern Conference coaches, Luol Deng took 30 shots from between 20-22 feet. Andre Igoudala attempted 22 and Paul Pierce took 10.

Deng, Igoudala and Pierce combined for 62 long-range two-pointers while Smith has taken 71.

"What that tells you is that he is difficult to coach," says one Western Conference coach.

Mr. Eastern Conference agrees. "He belongs on the block, if he was there he'd score 50."

Another issue with both coaches is Smith's inconsistency.

"Listen," said Mr. Western Conference, "He's a guy you have to pay attention to on the scouting report, but you don't know which one shows up. 'Good' Josh can kill you, 'Bad' Josh becomes our sixth man. All-Stars don't have that many highs and lows. His highs are unbelievable, but no all-star has his lows. That's why you respect Kevin Love. His bad nights are 16 and 11, his great night are 36 and 17"

The Minnesota Timberwolves forward has scored under 15 points this season once. Smith has scored under 10 nine times.

Last Sunday, Smith scored eight points and grabbed seven reboudns in a loss to Miami. Two games later, he finished with 30 points, 17 rebounds, secen assists, four steals and three blocked shots in a win over Phoenix.

According to Elis Sports Bureau, only one other player since 1973 has reached those levels in all five statistical categories. That player was LeBron James.

"He's one of those guys who whatever stats you put up and you say 'that doesn't surprise me," said Mr. Western Conference. "The greatest ability of the really great players is their dependability, that's a huge separation point with Josh."

It's clear the coaches and the league will not vote him in and with fans only voting for the starters, it's doubtful Smith will ever make it.

Hard to believe, especially when both coaches say, "He has more talent than most of the league."

• Like 2

I been saying this for years. But everyone in the league knows this. I still feel he's an All Star this year compared to guys like Deng and Iggy. But Josh inconsistency is his issue. Nothing will change that. He is who he is.

Nothing new there, we have ALL been saying this and we see it every night we watch the Hawks. The one thing that really jumped out at me was this "Deng, Igoudala and Pierce combined for 62 long-range two-pointers while Smith has taken 71"

I wonder does Atlanta Spirit know this. They seem to not know a lot of things right now. Like Jeremy Lin success. They have a mediocre team regardless of the talent which mostly doesn't fit. The fact they still need a PG. O.J. Mayo supremely talented self who is also a great fit for what we do at PG is available for pennies on a dollar. The fact that Joe Johnson is not a superstar. The fact that Marvin Williams doesn't fit. The fact that Jeff Teague doesn't fit. The fact that Tracy is a chemistry killer. The fact that they have most of their cap vested into a pretender. What does Atlanta Spirit know?

Edited by nbasuperstar40

We need the smoove from Woody's last season in atlanta. Pretty much made him stay in the paint, where he had his best shooting % of his career. But smoove will always be dumb ole smoove

Nothing new there, we have ALL been saying this and we see it every night we watch the Hawks. The one thing that really jumped out at me was this "Deng, Igoudala and Pierce combined for 62 long-range two-pointers while Smith has taken 71"

What we've known for years.

I think yall are looking at this all wrong. Yes we have been saying it for years, but just now NBA coaches are learning about this. ERGO NBA coaches get their information about the Hawks, NBA, abortion, life, and the Braves from the Hawksquawk. We are more powerful than we think...

"He takes long two-pointers, which is the worst shot in the game," said the Eastern coach. "We hope he scores his first two shots, because we know he'll keep shooting from out there."

My god this is what I have been saying for years. If Josh hits his first long jumper you can't tell him s***.

He is uncoachable as hell. Again, any team where Josh Smith is our best player is a team that will not go very far or have much success. He should stick strictly to rebounding and blocking.

Edited by Wurider05

Well we say it every night and I've heard it from fans of every other team, so I'm glad it's coming from actual NBA coaches now. Maybe one day it'll finally connect with Josh, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm actually surprised he's shooting 36% on those long two's. It feels like like 6%.

I think yall are looking at this all wrong. Yes we have been saying it for years, but just now NBA coaches are learning about this. ERGO NBA coaches get their information about the Hawks, NBA, abortion, life, and the Braves from the Hawksquawk. We are more powerful than we think...

You might be right. Will the Hawks Media and Public Relations representative who's job it is to check this board and report back, please make your presence known. Just a one-time post. We know you lurk on this the best damn Hawks board in the land. Or do you surf Hoopinion (Im all for analyzing stats, but way too many trends, splits, and numerics for my taste)

Edited by benhillboy

Now its gonna be harder to trade him becuz other coaches don't want his dumb self

Thank u to that coach for saying wat I've been saying forever. And lol @ the guys on here who always got something to say to me. What now!!

Edited by MoBetta

If Josh stuck to playing around the basket, he'd be in his 3rd or 4th all star game by now. This is exactly what I said when he was not selected. The coaches around the league know this guy has a history of showing his butt by not hustling and just giving up and shooting jumpers when everyone who isn't living in his backside knows he shouldn't be. As much as it's easy to love Josh some nights, it's just as easy to want to curse him out on the very next night.

• Premium Member

The bigger problem is that for all practical purposes, Smoove may not be tradable. If Coaches think that he's their 6th man when they play the Hawks, then no way does a coach want to push for a trade of him. His trade value is skewed.