Thoughts on Jeff Teague?

frankthetank966

Jeff Teague has been inserted into the Hawks starting line-up for a little less than a year. What are the thoughts of what he brings to this team. Is he the right for this team or not?I believe Teague would make a great backup PG. He is not a good enough PG to keep up with Joe and Josh. We don't need a scoring PG, the Hawks need a PG who can make plays and dish the ball. Teague is neither. He turns the ball over too much and still makes immature mistakes. During the clutch, I don't want him handling the ball. Bottom line, the Hawks MUST finally get a PG if they want to continue to compete. There will be several PGs in free agency and Teague needs to be replaced in the starting lineup.

Edited by frankthetank966

The Hawks are over the cap...............meaning they can't sign a PG in FA unless its for the minimum or the MLE. I don't think we can upgrade Teague for that.To be 23 years old, Teague is a pretty good NBA player. Is a starting PG on an NBA team ? Probably not right now at 23, but guys lke Jason Terry carved pretty darn good careers out for themselves.

Edited by coachx

Honestly, I really like Jeff Teague. I do. But, he definitely passes up too many open shots and uses the shot fake too much before driving. I would like to see him either immediately take those open shots or immediately attack the rim as the defender is usually rotating over when he gets the ball. He really needs to work on his shot in the off-season to make it more difficult for teams to double off of him.The other thing he needs to work on is his passing. He is a mediocre passer at best. He does fine if he is attacking the rim and just needs to dump the ball off, but he looks lost on fast breaks.

• Admin

The Hawks are over the cap...............meaning they can't sign a PG in FA unless its for the minimum or the MLE. I don't think we can upgrade Teague for that.To be 23 years old, Teague is a pretty good NBA player. Is a starting PG on an NBA team ? Probably not right now at 23, but guys lke Jason Terry carved pretty darn good careers out for themselves.

I hope Jason Terry is not your comparison for Teague's career path. Terry turned into a nice shooter off the bench for Dallas but he was a terrible point guard. He can not run an offense and I think that was a big reason why our Hawks team with SAR, Ratliff, Big Dog was not successful. We didn't have someone who could make that team flow

I have come to the conclusion that Teague just don't have court vision. Too many times I see him miss passes to Josh whether it be a bounce pass or a lob over the top. Teague can only make your simple chest passes or a simple drop off on a dribble drive. Also, Teague really needs to work on his finishing ability in the paint. I swear he would average about 12 points a game if he actually hit those floaters/layups he get at the rim. We really need a point who is a set up man and can knock down open shots. We should have made that move for Ramon Sessions a yr or two back. I believe Teague can be that point we need but it all depends on him and his work ethic and if he comes back next yr having the same problems then I say bench him or trade him.

My benchmark for him was always if he could prove to be a better PG than Aaron Brooks, Goran Dragic or Darren Collison, other PGs who had a flash in the pan playoff series or regular season stretch that had people projecting future greatness and the answer is no. Those guys, with the exception of Collison recently, have proven to be consistently better and weren't exactly the jewels of the NBA to begin with. He's painfully average which is fine now because he's cheap and has the P word still attached to him but come contract time I really don't want to see him overpaid on that P word. This franchise has been burned way too many times already waiting for guys to blossom while paying them top dollar.

Ho hum. Another Hawk gone bad. We just can't seem to have any playerwho suits most posters.We all know about Marvin, Josh, JJ, and Zaza being no good and now JTfalls right in there with the rest of them. Captain Kirk wants to go back homeand play for the bulls again, so we will not talk about him.But, now we know. The Hawks all stink. Horford is too small to play center.Let's not forget him. The ownership is terrible, the head coach can't coachand all the fans who come out to watch root for the other team.Did I omit anything? If I did, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to.GO -- WHOEVER IS PLAYING THE HAWKS! (I got that right, didn't I?)

• Like 2

For his first season 12,3 ppg, 2,5rpg, 4,7 apg, 1,7spg and 2TO shoting 0,46% is not bad for a PG in ATL.He also plays good defense and of course has to learn the position and pass better, but there have been some games where he has delivered 8-9 asists, I think his stats are a little down due to some games where the PG duties were on JJ and Hinrich and he did not record a single assisst. I think we should stick with him and let develop.On the FA options I could only take a chance on Dragic and Mo Williams but be careful trying to extrapolate the stats of one player on his contract year. Williams is a the end of his career and Dragic has not made anything till now. Teague's best years are to come.

• Like 1

I think he is definitely a good player and he does play pretty good defense overall. I think another off-season or two and he could be something special. Maybe not an all-star, but definitely someone to contend with. He does need to work on his passing and his outside shooting though. I also agree on the comments about court vision and finishing around the basket. I think he'll get there though.Oh, and don't take this the wrong way. I really like Teague and I was scared as hell when his knee buckled. Everyone has weak points in their game that they need to work on. That's not to say Teague is a horrible player or that we should get rid of him for a bag of chips. I am just making an observation on what I think he needs to work on.

Teague needs to pass the Mayo, that's all.

Teague needs to pass the Mayo, that's all.

Lame......stop with the crap about juice being our point...the dude doesn't have a point guard bone in his body
  • Like 1

I have to disagree with most of you guys. I love Teague. I think he is actually being held back by always looking for Josh and Joe. He is the only person on the team who attacks the basket. Everyone else shoots jump shots all freaking game. I wish he would just go off one game like he did in the playoffs against the Bulls. I think LD is holding him back. Teague can get by any defender he wants in the league but he doesnt do it as much as i think he should. He is just as explosive as Westbrook but he passes up on to many scoring chances always looking for a freaking pass. The guy scores 11-15 points a night and you never know it until the end of the game. I want to see Teague start scoring more especially when he has someone on him that cant keep up with him. I dont understand this deal with a pick and roll PG everyone wants. Why? Josh not gonna play the paint. I think Teague is perfect for this team. I dont think is a personnel problem with this team, they have the talent i think its all mental

• Like 1

The biggest problem with Jeffrey is that he THINKS he can get past any defender in the league and that's what leads to the majority of his issues. He'll drive by his man but realize at the last moment that they are as quick as him and recovered or they have help defense so he's now stuck in the air forcing a contorted layup or trying to bail himself out with a last second pass. He's nowhere near a Westbrook or Rose because those guys have tremendous strength to go along with their explosiveness which allows them to finish above and through defenders. Jeffrey will either make the spectacular play or the the simplest play, there really isn't any middleground with him but once you average the highs with the lows you come out to just average.

• Premium Member

I know it is a fairy tale but all these people, well one guy, who thought Ramon Sessions was a bust? Yeah....glad you aren't running the Hawks. He has been stellar for the Lakers. If we could get him or Dragic this summer it would be an upgrade over Jeff who frankly is nothing better than a backup point. He doesn't take enough wide open shots when they are there, he's too indecisive and for a guy with his freakish athletic ability he gets beaten like a drum WAY too often on defense.

• Premium Member

I was captain of the Teague bandwagon but I'm man enough to admit this....He's a good player but he's not what this team needs at PG. Hawks need a play maker/creator who can hit open jumpers. That's not Teague's game. Teague's game is driving to the rim. As of now he lacks floor vision and has trouble getting guys position to take shots in rhythm. Would be nice to say he has time to grow but I don't see it. PG is one position where you either have it or you don't.