Thoughts on Jeff Teague?

frankthetank966

• Moderators

I was captain of the Teague bandwagon but I'm man enough to admit this....He's a good player but he's not what this team needs at PG. Hawks need a play maker/creator who can hit open jumpers. That's not Teague's game. Teague's game is driving to the rim. As of now he lacks floor vision and has trouble getting guys position to take shots in rhythm. Would be nice to say he has time to grow but I don't see it. PG is one position where you either have it or you don't.

I think he's done well and i think he will grow. He's not going to be Chris Paul but I think he's held down the spot really nicely and he can get you points at the rim when needed. It seems like a tough team to be PG for when you're playing along side Hinrich and Joe who are also play makers. You look at Rondo and he plays with 4 guys who don't want to bring the ball up and run the offense. Teague plays with 3 guys who do.
  • Like 2

I'll give him another year or until next years trade deadline to see if he can improve in this system. It's clear to me he's at his best when he's not trying to dissect plays and does his own thing. I guess his game is that of a scoring guard, so our search for a pure pg is still on going.Signing Andre Miller would do wonders for Teague and the team as a whole. We could still sign Teague longterm at minimal salary and he'll be an outstanding back up with loads of value.

You guys keep saying he doesnt take open shots, I think that is based off of what LD whats him to become. A pass first guard. Everytime he gets the ball he looks to pass. I think he is doing a great job. As stated earlier Teague can get by about 95% of the guards in the league. The problem his he always looks to pass the freaking ball.Crap I wish LD would tell everyone to have Teague to bring the ball up court. Im tired of seeing Josh with the rock.

• Premium Member

I think it's really hard to look at Teague as a non-playmaker in a offense that doesn't require playmakers? In this motion we run, Teague sets more picks than calling plays. Or the plays he calls calls for him to hand the ball off and set a pick. We all got caught up in Chicago vs. Atlanta Teague. The main differences there...1. Weak defender. - The MVP can't stop anybody.2. Jeff didn't really KNOW the offense.In my opinion, these two things let Jeff "Freestyle" last year and he looked damn good. Now we have fleeced him in an offense where Josh Smith says... GIVE ME BALL. GIVE ME BALL. and there's no way for Jeff to be a playmaker. He's a passer. The question is Can he be a playmaker?Here's his College Career in 3 minutes...http://www.wakeforestsports.com/allaccess/index.html?media=128254If I knew nothing about that kid, I would say... 2 guard.Nobody has ever trained him to be a PG.That doesn't mean he can't learn... It's just it has to be intentionalFor the summer, instead of John Wall, I would send him to workout with Chris Paul.

The Hawks are over the cap...............meaning they can't sign a PG in FA unless its for the minimum or the MLE. I don't think we can upgrade Teague for that.

To be 23 years old, Teague is a pretty good NBA player. Is he a starting PG on an NBA Championship team ? Probably not right now at 23, but guys lke Jason Terry carved pretty darn good careers out for themselves.

Fixed

Teague is not bi polar on the court. He has been told to pass the ball to Joe or Josh. Wait til AL gets back and Teague wont even get 5 shots a game.

Jeff's little brother looking good tonightin the national championship game.Must be something in the inherintance for these boys.zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Not hard to tell that they are brothers either.As far as Jeff Teague goes, I like him. I think he has shown gradual improvement from his rookie year till now. He has gone from 0.042 WS/48 to 0.083 WS/48 to 0.110 WS/48 this year. His PER has improved to 14.7. His true shooting percentage and effective field goal percentage has improved.

He's a PG for our system and he would be our best player. Teague needs to play with D12 or Anthony Davis.

• Premium Member

There's absolutely nothing wrong with Teague. He's just never trained to be a PG and he's trying. If you follow his instincts, he would take the ball down the lane and dunk over somebody most of the time. I think Smoove is a disruptive force in the development of Teague. Not purposely, just that Smoove demands the ball (this season). When we saw Teague in the playoffs last year, his marching orders were do what you do... and what he did was blow past the MVP most plays and dunk over the whole Chicago team. That's his game. What he does now is try to think too much about who is open. He doesn't have a natural PG's eye, so that's not his game. The answer is that Teague doesn't have to be the facilatator but he's the slasher/Shooter. His game is so deadly but he doesn't know it. It's like Paul Mooney describing Richard Pryor... "He's so funny but unless you are there to remind him how funny he is, he will never believe it." Teague doesn't know how superstar his game should be. Van Exel is the guy to tell him that you can drive.... then later get them boys on their heels and shoot. Unfortunately, that works for everybody but Smoove.

Man what is this court vision you guys are talking about? Some of yall are missing the point. Teague is not a true PG so he is learning on the fly.I think Teague should be attacking more ala Westbrook. He is so concerned about passing the ball that he cant play his game, which on some nights he needs to play his game.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Well, looks as if Teague may make it after all if he keeps

up the play as he has recently.

Some things you can learn. Speed, you can't. Either you

have it or you don't. Believe me, as one who doesn't have

it, and never has, I know about speed - - Our JT has it!

+ + +

• Like 1

He's well on his way to what I expected of him this year: a strong candidate for MIP. When he's got it going, he's as relentless as any PG in the league. Having another small guard who can handle on the floor with him has made a world of difference in his confidence and development. Joe couldn't penetrate at all, Lou and Devin are adept at it. Opens up so much more for Teague. Defenses really look confused when there's two guards who can play off the ball, hit threes, facilitate, and are lightning quick. Games like tonight just show a glimpse of what he can do. I didn't like the guy much at all to start with. When he's putting up 20 and 10, whats not to like. To Drew's credit (and probably Woody's detriment), he's showing high confidence that his PG can be an extension of him on the court.