• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Starting SF's are a dime a dozen!

Gray Mule

Here on Hawksquawk, I've heard, over and over, for many years:

"Starting SF's like MW are a dime a dozen. Starting centers and good PG's are

hard to some by, but replacing MW would be no problem at all.

Now, we'll see. For many, MW will be forever hated here for one simple reason.

He's not CP3. That's all that mattered.

Hawks have, in recent years, been a playoff team. For some strange reason, some

are trying to project the Hawks as lottery bound. Look at all the players we have left

and all those bench players we got in the trades. Add two draft picks.

Do you really expect to make me believe that, if this group stays healthy, we completely

miss the playoffs? Marvin and Joe made all that much difference? All these other Hawks

are no good?

Also, with the remake of our roster, just remember, "It ain't over until it's over."

Posted Image

I disagree.

Starting SF's are not a dime a dozen. Marvin left a big hole. A starting C that would be better playing C than Al Horford is going to be extremely difficult to find because even though he is playing out of place Al is still a all-star at the position. A starting PG that is 1st tier is hard to find. So, yes I still believe that a C to move Al to PF is harder to find than a starting SF and a top tier PG is hard to find people will see if we keep Harris and Teague that Teague is not the garbage player some here claim he is and will not be that easy to replace even though he is not even close to top tier.There is a theme that will outplay here. Woody was obviously not the only problem and maybe not the biggest. The same goes for Bibby. The same will be proven for Joe and even Marvin. At the end of the day most people will see that this team needed a full blown makeover if we end up keeping Josh Smith.

Edited by MrMeltdown

• Premium Member

The biggest problem this team has esp. in the playoffs is Josh Smith on offense. When he takes all those long jumpers it completely kills our offense and we literally might as well just hand the ball to the other team under their basket and trot back down to defend when he shoots them.Starting Sfs are not a dime a dozen because the Jazz esp. show that they were desperate enough to overpay Marvin for two years just to get an average starting SF. The Hawks now have a rather huge hole at SF. I have to wonder if Ferry will intentionally tank this season just to get a high lottery pick and use that lottery pick plus Horford as the bait to lure in free agents next offseason.

Yeah, who would have thought that SF would be an issue for us lol. AK47 is a RFA, but I doubt we could get him with the MLE (once we are back over the salary cap). I have heard rumblings about interest in Beasley. That could be really good or really horrible though. Our best bet will probably be trading Harris/Stevenson for a legit SF. We just have to be careful to make sure we don't screw our 2013 salary space up. It will definitely be an interesting free agency this year and season in the fall.

Well we can certainly get a dozen for a dime each. Depends on what he wants to do in terms of preserving cap space for next season but there are a few options that Ferry can pursue to platoon at the position. Not many if any can give us the combination of size, shooting, defense, rebounding and comedic value but they'll certainly be cheaper.

• Moderators

My feeling is that Ty Corbin knows he can get great production out of Marvin. Corbin knows what to do with talented role players.If we start the season with Teague/Stevenson/Josh/Al/Zaza its still not a bad lineup. But I doubt we are done trading and signing.

SF is not to dire of a threat for the Hawks...If Papa Sy can come on and become a good defender at the Small Forward position for example that would be great for the Hawks.....The Real issue will be the back court...Teague and Devin Harris would be a small back court but may have to really step their games up. Teague is has great speed and Harris was an Allstar at one point...So the Hawks have alot of options to hold them over till next years free agency period. I think the Hawks will be about a 6th or 7th seed in the playoffs as currently constructed. Let's see what other moves Ferry has up his sleeve...GO HAWKS