• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Devin Harris > CP3

Ruckus

I'm of the opinion that CP3 is not what the Hawks need. I think this will become evident next season. I'm surprised people haven't been seemingly more excited about the Harris trade considering this is the best point guard the Hawks will have had in a long time. He took the Mavs to the Finals in '06, something Chris Paul has never done. Plus he seems to stay healthy.Obviously Dwight would make a huge difference to our squad but I just don't think that is going to happen... so where does that leave us? Do we go after CP3 because he is the biggest name that we actually might have a chance to land or should we be patient and wait for someone that will make more of an impact?

• Admin

What CP3 was able to do with NO was pretty amazingHarris has had a much better team with DallasHarris is not even close to what CP3 is...That being said, I am very happy to have Harris here and I do agree that he is the best PG we have had here a long time.

I think the most important thing is what HC is going come in and what system is he going to set up for this team. Then you see what players do we need. I know that Danny may want Ast. Coach from Spurs (I am so surprised that nobody gave him a job yet)

Devin Harris is a huge upgrade from Teague but......

Posted Image

Why don't you think we are gonna get Dwight? Our situation and positioning to get Dwight is better than any one else in the league thanks to Ferry. Once Dwight comes CP3 will follow.

• Like 1

That is a fair response. I just think assuming we could extend Harris with a manageable contract without paying a premium for Paul, we could use the money for a center, sf, or whatever else. Paul is no doubt a unique talent though.

That is a fair response. I just think assuming we could extend Harris with a manageable contract without paying a premium for Paul, we could use the money for a center, sf, or whatever else. Paul is no doubt a unique talent though.

CP3 had an MVP season last year with Blake, imagine what he can do with D12/Smoove?

In this league you need at least two superstar caliber players to be consistent championship contenders; what is the point of getting rid of Joe's contract to get another Joe caliber player?

Edited by GameTime

I'm with you. I don't understand the fascination with the guy. He's a shell of what he was when he first came in the league, with numerous injury problems, and I'm not so sure about his character/ leadership skills. There's just something about his character that just seems disengenuine to me, like he'd easily clash with Josh (which of course he should if he's withholding the ball from him in transition, but I digress). Ferry had a front row seat to see Paul all but shut down by a Spurs team without any small guards remotely close to being All-NBA defenders. Now I never would go as far as to say Harris>Paul, but I definitely think the risk of injury and/ or overpaying for him is much higher than the reward of possibly doing something great dependent upon another Free Agent that he handpicks coming here.

Harris might be an upgrade over Teague. MIGHT. Reasonable minds could disagree on that point. He is NOT a "huge" upgrade, not at this stage in his career. Go look at the numbers, they're almost identical.Some of you talk like it's a given that he's going to start. If you start Harris, you are essentially deciding to let Teague go when his current contract expires. It seems to me the more likely scenario is that Harris will come off the bench if for no other reason than he's an expiring contract first and foremost, and benching your young first-round PG is tantamount to giving up on him.By the way, I'm VERY excited about seeing Devin Harris in a Hawks uniform. I saw him play against my Yellow Jackets live and in person when he was a freshman at Wisconsin. I was in the first row in the student section, on the floor, right under the basket. He shut me up real good. And now he's on my side. =)

• Like 1

The only thing that would keep me from giving Chris Paul my "full en-dorse-mint" would be his health. I think that is a real issue. As far as talent, drive and leadership, this guy would be the best thing to happen to Atlanta Hawks basketball in decades.

Edited by Eddielives

Chris Paul gets alot of steals but he cant guard anybody. He is a great facilitator of the ball though. I just dont think he will make the finals anytime soon unless he has guys like Smoove and Dwight to protect the basket. Harris can defend, when he wants to. lol They say Harris soft which may be true but Paul is Puffs with lotion soft.

Edited by NJHAWK

• Premium Member

I'm of the opinion that the importance of the PG is way, way overrated in the modern NBA.

But Devin Harris > CP3 as a PG (whether here or anywhere else)? That's Posted Image

I'm of the opinion that CP3 is not what the Hawks need. I think this will become evident next season. I'm surprised people haven't been seemingly more excited about the Harris trade considering this is the best point guard the Hawks will have had in a long time. He took the Mavs to the Finals in '06, something Chris Paul has never done. Plus he seems to stay healthy. Obviously Dwight would make a huge difference to our squad but I just don't think that is going to happen... so where does that leave us? Do we go after CP3 because he is the biggest name that we actually might have a chance to land or should we be patient and wait for someone that will make more of an impact?

I am definite agreement that Harris is a huge upgrade over Teague. With Teague approaching RFA status. I am not comfortable giving him a long-term deal. Having said that, we may as well put him in a deal. Are we going to give a potential backup PG a long-term deal? We should move him while he has solid value. There are a few teams that could use a PG right now. I would like to move forward with Harris. If we do not succeed in acquiring CP3 or Howard, things will get quite interesting.

CP3 is a great player and better than Harris but I see why you would say that. The bottom-line is for a PG, who he has around him is more important than anything.

I'm of the opinion that the importance of the PG is way, way overrated in the modern NBA.

But Devin Harris > CP3 as a PG (whether here or anywhere else)? That's Posted Image

That was a good one and I'm not even a Paul fan!! I think Teague will become in his own right a defensive version of Paul. We haven't really had a great defensive guard since Mookie. Defense wins championships!! Pair Teague with a Smoove/D12 and maybe Iggy and you've got one of the best defensive team of starters in the league!!

No doubt he is a great player. I just don't think he is worth blowing our new found fortune on. I know he is better than Harris. I guess I was being a bit sarcastic and somewhat facetious with the post title. If D12 somehow signs and he want to come without a max contract to be on a title contender, that is different.