****Dwight Howard Discussion Thread****

BusBoyIsBack

Hakeem Olajuwon reaches out to him, sees his potential, why can't we get him instead of Dwight? and KEEP Horford? http://sports.yahoo....dGlvbnM-;_ylv=3 With him, we are a lock to make it to the playoffs. Move Harford to the 4 and JSmooth to the 3 at times, a star rotation.

It's 2012. "Make it to the playoffs" is not the standard around here anymore.

Dwight Howard is to Serge Ibaka as Dwayne Wade is to Kevin Martin.

Let's put this into prospective, the thunder can't match for a decent contract for him. He comes cheaper, younger, without BACK SURGERY, he can hit jumpers, shoot free throws, we get to keep Horford AND WITHOUT LOSING HIM IN A YEAR AND WITHOUT THE DRAMA. Would you take Dwayne Wade over Kevin Martin if you had to lose Chris Bosh, Mario Chalmers AND you only kept him for ONE YEAR and AFTER BACK SURGERY? You do realize Dwight Howard won't even start next season right?

Ibaka is not a bad plan B. if you have a shot at Howard, you take it. The Hawks now have the financial flexibility to go after Serge Ibaka in 2013 if they do not land Dwight Howard. They could attempt to make Ibaka and James Harden a package deal. The potential drawback is that Ibaka will likely be grossly overpaid. Both Roy Hibbert and Brook Lopez got max deals, and Ibaka is a much better player than both.

Even after this latest failed attempt, and Lopez' subsequent re-upping with the Nets, Hennigan is still insisting his dealings with them aren't dead, just in 'stationary' mode.I know, that could just be a public leverage ploy, but the fact is he keeps going back to that well. The question is 'why'?He just rejected 4 first round picks, Lopez, Humph and freedom from several burdensome contracts. What is he holding out for - especially when it seems that Houston and our Hawks offer comparable if not better potential deals.

• Moderators

Even after this latest failed attempt, and Lopez' subsequent re-upping with the Nets, Hennigan is still insisting his dealings with them aren't dead, just in 'stationary' mode. I know, that could just be a public leverage ploy, but the fact is he keeps going back to that well. The question is 'why'? He just rejected 4 first round picks, Lopez, Humph and freedom from several burdensome contracts. What is he holding out for - especially when it seems that Houston and our Hawks offer comparable if not better potential deals.

He wants NJ as leverage to get other teams to trump that offer. He will tell them that he can revive the deal once Lopez is free to travel, although it will be much harder (if at all still possible) to find a third team to make the deal work at that point.

• Moderators

Ibaka is a good player but not a difference-maker. OKC's season and chances against Miami aren't that much different with Ibaka or 10-20 other players at PF instead. Any team with Dwight isn't going to have 10-20 guys who can give you an impact even close to his play.My personal bet is that Ibaka never makes an All-NBA team in his career.

Its the team that they can deal him to. Who else would take him without a gurauntee that he would stay after one year? Who would give up their best players, three or four years of draft picks AND take on Jason Richardson, Turkogalu, etc effectively bogging down your cap space?

Can anyone tell me if the Hawks have actually made an offer to he Magic for Dwight Howard and is so what exactly who and/or what they offered? I would think if the Hawks offered the Magic Al Horford, Jeff Teague and draft picks that would be a pretty good offer to the Magic. But, like other posters have said the Magic may not want to trade Howard to the Hawks since they are in the same division.

It's actually a great PR move for Orlando...They can now go to Dwight and say "We Tried to deal you to the Nets...now you have to expand your list of possible places maybe we can find something mutually beneficial and you can have a fresh start without a tarnish image..."Look for Dwight to be in Houston or LA

Ibaka is a good player but not a difference-maker. OKC's season and chances against Miami aren't that much different with Ibaka or 10-20 other players at PF instead. Any team with Dwight isn't going to have 10-20 guys who can give you an impact even close to his play. My personal bet is that Ibaka never makes an All-NBA team in his career.

Dwight has baby momma's all over Atlanta. He doesn't want to be here. I'd bet Ibaka would be a Star AND I think we would have a better chance getting Chris Paul, and with that, I think we would be a contender. I'm not so quick to sell the whole TEAM just to get a one year player. If he wanted to be in Atlanta, we would know by now. In that case, I'd change my mind but NOT for a 1 yr player, no way. Edited by red2play

Can anyone tell me if the Hawks have actually made an offer to he Magic for Dwight Howard and is so what exactly who and/or what they offered? I would think if the Hawks offered the Magic Al Horford, Jeff Teague and draft picks that would be a pretty good offer to the Magic. But, like other posters have said the Magic may not want to trade Howard to the Hawks since they are in the same division.

No one here would be able to tell you what the Hawks actually offered or are offering for DH (if the Hawks are offering anything). The Hawks have not officially come out and said that they are doing anything to get Howard, so it is all speculation and hearsay. The only teams that have officially come out with actual trade scenarios this year are the Nets, and maybe Houston. Edited by CODHAWKSFAN

Ibaka is a good player but not a difference-maker.

Ask opposing offenses if he is a difference maker on defense. Now the Dwight comparison is way off but to say a guy who protects the rim, as well as any human being walking this earth, is not a difference maker is simply inaccurate. Edited by coachx

• Premium Member

I think the Magic are just as, if not more, interested in gaining cap relief and future picks as they are in getting back a talented player or players for Howard. My guess is the Hawks were offering one, but not both.