• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

****Dwight Howard Discussion Thread****

BusBoyIsBack

wow you guys are really over looking Turk and Lewis when they went to the finals! are you serious Turk was playing at a all time high in his career! and Lewis was Ray Allen on the 3's. That was a BIG 3 for the magic without the superstar status of 2 players! FACT is D12 had help from a 6"10 point Forward who could pass and shoot the 3, another 6"10 wing man in Rashard Lewis who was playing PF but dragging them out to the 3 point line and he was knocking shots down left and right! NOT TO MENTION Jameer Nelson who was a all star that year and he was knocking down 3's like crazy!

Are you serious! Howard may have freed them up but you think this Hawks team of Current players are going to hit 3's like that! LOL get real. The magic not only had many 3 point shooters when they went to the finals BUT 2 of them were 6 freaking 10! thats 2 KD's hitting 3's

And you guys think D12 led them to the Finals!!!!!!!! Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

This is weak and short sighted. If what were told about Jenkins is true, then he could very well become one of those 3pt shooters. When you get in impact big man, you want to surround him with 3pt threats. That's how you build around a superstar big man. Yet, you're trying to pretend that it's some sort of weakness or failure on Howard's part or something. Shard's best years were actually in Seattle anyway. That Orlando team was put together pretty well structurally. We haven't seen that here in so long, so maybe some Hawk fans don't understand that. Howard deserves pretty of credit for being the reason that team went to the finals. The fact that the team was properly built around him shouldn't be slight to him.

• Moderators

D12 has alot of flaws on both sides of the court, and he is making himself a worst villian then those three in Miami but he is still one of the best center in the NBA and he can be the star in Atlanta and heck maybe we can get to ECF for the first time ever.

The funny thing is that even with all the drama, Orlando is and has been in a MUCH better position than Cleveland because Dwight has been up front with them. Dwight let Orlando know he was planning to leave and they will have been on notice to shop him for almost 2 years before he will stop being under contract. If they can't find a deal better than Cleveland could after Lebron's "trust me, I am leaning towards returning to Cleveland......psych!" play then I blame Orlando entirely for that. The only thing that makes Dwight look worse is that Lebron had a clear plan, colluded with other players, and mercilessness executed that plan while exploiting it to the max for press exposure while Dwight has legitimately waffled and even signed a 1 year extension because he didn't want to do wrong by Orlando fans and be perceived as the bad guy.

doesnt matter no 3's no advancement in the playoffs....D12 didnt make the shots or tell them to get in position to make the shots.

Dwight put up 20.3/15.3 and 4.4 blocks while shooting 60% from the field during the 2009 playoffs, WHILE drawing constant double teams. He is the reason Hedo/Shard were able to get open for those shots. Ignoring that is just blatant ignorance. Dwight lead the team in scoring, rebounds, blocks, and FG% in the playoffs that season. To say he didn't carry the team is ridiculous. EVERY player has to have help from teammates to reach the finals. His drawing double teams allowed his teammates to do that.

I'm willing to take that risk. We can sign another max FA next season with a little bit of shuffling and a deal structured like Teague/Horford/Houston 1st/Atlanta 2013 1st. I'd take a chance at recruiting Paul or Harden, etc. along with Josh and Dwight.

When you have a chance to acquire the best center in the game, you take it, period. How many opportunities like this present themselves?

I'd like for Howard to play here. I'm just tired of seeing 5 new Howard threads in homecourt everyday.I wish we could ban his name for a little while, like with Jordan Crawford and Ojay mayo.

I remember when folks wanted to ban a certain user from threads with the name Marvin Williams. However it turned out he was right but most of us at the time didnt believe that soylent green was indeed " people ". Edited by NJHAWK
  • Like 1

I remember when folks wanted to ban a certain user from threads with the name Marvin Williams. However it turned out he was right but most of us at the time didnt believe that soylent green was indeed " people ".

Yeah, but those of us (like myself)who new what Soylent green was, didn't need to keep hearing about it everyday :)

Guest Walter
http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222285/Rockets_To_Amnesty_Luis_ScolaI don't quite get this. It may allow them to take on another contract but this, the trade of Lowry, and the picked players that would be sent would gut this team to such an extent I cannot imagine that Howard would have any desire to play for much less resign with this team. Houston COULD sign some FAs this coming off-season so perhaps....but frankly they would have nothing else to build with. W

http://basketball.re...esty_Luis_Scola I don't quite get this. It may allow them to take on another contract but this, the trade of Lowry, and the picked players that would be sent would gut this team to such an extent I cannot imagine that Howard would have any desire to play for much less resign with this team. Houston COULD sign some FAs this coming off-season so perhaps....but frankly they would have nothing else to build with. W

I should hope that Howard will go to Houston so we can get our 1st round pick (from JJ trade) ASAP. Otherwise they are going to suck out loud. I'm tired of Dwight saga and would be satisfied to see him shipped west.

John Hollinger's Take (from chat):

Taylor (Atlanta)

Any chance Atlanta is still alive in the DH talks? They seem to be stocking up on hometown guys (Smoove, Lou Williams, and Anthony Morrow). You would think Howard would agree to stay long term. Is the hiccup that the Magic would rather have picks than Horford/Teague?

John Hollinger

(12:23 PM)

I suspect Ferry's thinking is along these lines: Don't overbid now because the Hawks have the best chance of anybody to sign Howard if and when he hits free agency. So even if he goes to Houston, Hawks feel like they're in the game.

http://basketball.re...esty_Luis_Scola I don't quite get this. It may allow them to take on another contract but this, the trade of Lowry, and the picked players that would be sent would gut this team to such an extent I cannot imagine that Howard would have any desire to play for much less resign with this team. Houston COULD sign some FAs this coming off-season so perhaps....but frankly they would have nothing else to build with. W

We are all assuming Howard is not bluffing. The guy changes his mind like the wind and 25 million or so over a five year period may be enough wind. Houston is desperate to be a contender and Howard has shown he can at least win divisions damn near by himself with a few vets and scrubs thrown in. If it fails, Houston will still be a lottery team which is what they are now with all those mid 1st rookies. What do they have to lose? Edited by Buzzard

• Premium Member

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/222285/Rockets_To_Amnesty_Luis_Scola I don't quite get this. It may allow them to take on another contract but this, the trade of Lowry, and the picked players that would be sent would gut this team to such an extent I cannot imagine that Howard would have any desire to play for much less resign with this team. Houston C OULD sign some FAs this coming off-season so perhaps....but frankly they would have nothing else to build with. W

I guess they have the thought process that they would have the inside on re- signing him in the offseason.

Guest Walter

I have been reading about him waiving his early-termination option in March, and I can't make sense of it. He is one flaky dude, and I wouldn't risk much in trying to get him.

I think his back was injured at the time. He seems like a very emotional young man. Not very grounded or mature. Regardless, from personal experience, a little back pain goes along way towards messing with you. I hope he comes back home. I know all the concerns but if we aren't going to want even a troubled hometown superstar for this team, the Hawks will never get one. W

They are wanting to swap their whole team for Orlando's, warts and all (JRich, Turk included). Orlando won 37 last year, Houston 34 in the deeper West. And all this without any guarantee from Dwight. It all seems like a lateral move at best....a big splashy lateral move.

I don't see the issue. Being able to take back extra salary doesn't mean they have to sweeten the pot by adding more actual assets, that would just be foolish....taking back extra salary is the extra incentive for the Magic. So they will still have ample number of picks, ample number of the half million PFs they drafted.....and space for a second max next summer with Scola and Martin off the books.

Maybe Houston likes Brook Lopez, so if they fail at resigning Howard they can still do a S-n-T with Nets for Lopez and whatever else. That way they end up with a big they have been looking for since Yao.

Maybe Houston likes Brook Lopez, so if they fail at resigning Howard they can still do a S-n-T with Nets for Lopez and whatever else. That way they end up with a big they have been looking for since Yao.

Why would they need to clear capspace to take Lopez?