• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ferry as GM Poll

Endy9

70 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think he is being vastly overrated don't like what any of his moves do to us on the court. His moves have been good as far as the future salary cap goes though. He is simply allowing people to live in fantasy world with the thoughts of potential free agents and they are enjoying the possibilities. To sum it up, I don't think he has a concrete plan that can be executed to get us to the next level.

Posted Image

Man, that's a good look. Very happy for Marvin. He'll be a superb sub behind Gordon Hayward.

~lw3

I'm very excited for Marvin as well! Great kid and I'm thrilled for him (and the Hawks) that he's going to get a chance to become more than he's been in Utah. He has it made learning from the SF whom he should be patterning his game after as well.

As to Ferry I'm absolutely pumped about the moves he's made so far and the potential future that he has set up for us. Too early to really judge him but just getting out of those contracts and replacing them with younger and cheaper talent was a stroke of genius. If he lands Dwight then he's a lock for exec of the year... and if he doesn't land Dwight then he should at least get an honorable mention.

1. Clearing the 2 worst contracts on the team, two of the worst in the league and acquiring no multiyear deals (guaranteed at least) and a pick.2. Using the MLE to get a young starter on the way up. Williams could be a Hawk for some time. 3. Using only the TPE from #1 to get a 40% 3 point shooter with an expiring contract at a position of need (backup SF) (OMG the hawks using the TPE to add wins in a rebuilding year!) Number 3 is the most surprising because it effectively meant convincing the owners to pay about 4.1 million more this year than they could have otherwise. I wonder if Ferry will convince the owners to use the biannual exception for a multiyear deal and the go just into the tax next year having used that and the MLE, sign 2 players to come up tom the cap then max Josh and sign minimums/rookies. That would be something with our turd ownership.

Edited by Bamalawdawg
  • Like 1

Danny Ferry has been great so far. He shows that he understands value relative to the players' actual worth.Let's take a look at what he has done so far. He has essentially replaced Joe Johnson with Lou Williams:Joe Johnson - career 0.529 TS%, 0.494 eFG%, 16.4 PER, 108 ORtg, 110 DRtg, 0.097 WS48Lou Williams - career 0.532 TS%, 0.466 eFG%, 17.6 PER, 109 ORtg, 108 DRtg, 0.121 WS48On the court, the swap is a wash. Joe is a slightly better spot up jump shooter, while Lou Williams is much better at getting to the free throw line. The big difference here is this. Joe costs $20 million, and Lou costs $5 million. Lou's contract isn't going to keep the Hawks from making moves down the road like Joe's would have. Danny Ferry won in this swap.He has replaced Marvin Williams with Kyle Korver. This one is going to be a bit closer than the previous one, but value is at hand here.Marvin Williams - career 0.539 TS%, 0.474 eFG%, 13.8 PER, 110 ORtg, 108 DRtg, 0.102 WS48Kyle Korver - career 0.576 TS%, 0.543 eFG%, 12.8 PER, 112 ORtg, 107 DRtg, 0.112 WS48Marvin's ability to rebound the basketball and his ability to defend gives him a slight on the court advantage, though Kyle Korver is a much better and more efficient shooter. However, in the long run, $8 million with a player option vs $5 million on an expiring deal gives Danny Ferry a win in this swap. Anthony Morrow is a tremendous upgrade to Willie Green. Adding Devin Harris is like the cherry on top, as he really isn't replacing anyone, but is a tremendous upgrade to Jannero Pargo if you want to make that comparison. Johan Petro can't be anymore useless than Jason Collins.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think he's doing a good job so far in clearing out cap space but we need to wait to see the payoff. Are we trying to build around superstars in free agency or is he clearing out contracts to rebuild through the lottery? I'm absolutely fine with either approach but I don't want us to repeat the mistakes we just got out from: paying good but not great players too much money and not tanking correctly and ending up with picks in the 7-12 range instead of 1-5 where you generally found the actual franchise players we need to win a title.

• Like 2

Anthony Morrow is a tremendous upgrade to Willie Green. Adding Devin Harris is like the cherry on top, as he really isn't replacing anyone, but is a tremendous upgrade to Jannero Pargo if you want to make that comparison. Johan Petro can't be anymore useless than Jason Collins.

I see Harris a huge upgrade over Hinrich who played an average of 26 minutes when healthy at 1/2. Harris is just as good a 3 point shooter, played 27 minutes per game for Utah and had a PER of 16 compared to 9 for KH. Jenkins should be no worse than a wash with Pargo's 13 minutes in 2012-2013. As for Marvin, he did only play 26 minutes a game. If Korver plays 20 and shoots well, how much slack really needs to be picked up there? Another SF seems necessary though since McGrady got minutes there.

I think he is being vastly overrated don't like what any of his moves do to us on the court. His moves have been good as far as the future salary cap goes though. He is simply allowing people to live in fantasy world with the thoughts of potential free agents and they are enjoying the possibilities. To sum it up, I don't think he has a concrete plan that can be executed to get us to the next level.

Good lord you're so negative. Stop I seriously can't stand the negativity/pesimism it's outragious. I mean how can you live with such a negative outlook on everything and never see positives. It legiti annoys me that you have NEVER since you have EVER joined the forum ever made a contribution to a discussion and just spewed negative junk without ever saying how to resolve. You've NEVER said anything positive once. And WHO IS THAT IN YOUR AVATAR? It frustrates me to see your avatar too because i have no idea why he's even in your avatar and it's just incredibly random. /rant (sorry i had to just get everything out on the table because I'm sick of this guy) Weren't you the guy who wanted to keep the same team that got knocked out of the 1st or 2nd round every single year? Edited by atljonesbro

I think he's doing a good job so far in clearing out cap space but we need to wait to see the payoff. Are we trying to build around superstars in free agency or is he clearing out contracts to rebuild through the lottery? I'm absolutely fine with either approach but I don't want us to repeat the mistakes we just got out from: paying good but not great players too much money and not tanking correctly and ending up with picks in the 7-12 range instead of 1-5 where you generally found the actual franchise players we need to win a title.

There is no such thing as tanking correctly, because tanking does not work, period. Danny Ferry is too smart and has too analytical of a mind to tank, and none of his moves suggest that the team is tanking. He came in and kept the two best players on the roster in Al and Josh. That alone shows that this is not a tank job, which would simply be a poor plan from the very beginning.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

At the very, very least he has made watching this team interesting again. Last season was the first time since the Antoine Walker season that I stopped really watching the games during the regular season. He's gotten rid of the albatross contracts of Joe and Marvin, and added some interesting pieces around Horford, Josh, and Teague, a core which sould improve upon their expected output since they will be getting more touches now that Joe is gone. Way to early to draw conclusions but the moves he made to ship Marvin and get Korver are two of the craftiest moves a Hawks GM has made since I can remember (pathetic but true). The Lou Williams signing for the MLE was also pretty awesome, dude, regardless of his limitations, is a scoring machine when he is out there. We now have one of the deepest rosters in the league and really are missing one mega star in order to be serious contenders. Will we get one? who knows, at least we will be in position which is more than you could say about this team since BK passed on Paul.

• Premium Member

There is no such thing as tanking correctly, because tanking does not work, period. Danny Ferry is too smart and has too analytical of a mind to tank, and none of his moves suggest that the team is tanking. He came in and kept the two best players on the roster in Al and Josh. That alone shows that this is not a tank job, which would simply be a poor plan from the very beginning.

It depends on luck in the lottery. The worst thing you can do is be stuck in the 7-12 range every year in the lottery or be stuck as a low seed playoff team that can't go anywhere. This team may make the playoffs next year but it won't get past the first round (unless we trade for Howard). As for keeping the best players on the roster, he already traded the best player on the roster and our only true small forward. It also wouldn't shock me in the slightest if he dealt Josh before the season if we miss out on Howard.

Good lord you're so negative. Stop I seriously can't stand the negativity/pesimism it's outragious. I mean how can you live with such a negative outlook on everything and never see positives. It legiti annoys me that you have NEVER since you have EVER joined the forum ever made a contribution to a discussion and just spewed negative junk without ever saying how to resolve. You've NEVER said anything positive once. And WHO IS THAT IN YOUR AVATAR? It frustrates me to see your avatar too because i have no idea why he's even in your avatar and it's just incredibly random. /rant (sorry i had to just get everything out on the table because I'm sick of this guy) Weren't you the guy who wanted to keep the same team that got knocked out of the 1st or 2nd round every single year?

Thank you. This needed to be said. I think that is his actual real life pic in his avatar. That is the only conclusion I can think of.

Danny Ferry has been great so far. He shows that he understands value relative to the players' actual worth. Let's take a look at what he has done so far. He has essentially replaced Joe Johnson with Lou Williams: Joe Johnson - career 0.529 TS%, 0.494 eFG%, 16.4 PER, 108 ORtg, 110 DRtg, 0.097 WS48 Lou Williams - career 0.532 TS%, 0.466 eFG%, 17.6 PER, 109 ORtg, 108 DRtg, 0.121 WS48 On the court, the swap is a wash. Joe is a slightly better spot up jump shooter, while Lou Williams is much better at getting to the free throw line. The big difference here is this. Joe costs $20 million, and Lou costs $5 million. Lou's contract isn't going to keep the Hawks from making moves down the road like Joe's would have. Danny Ferry won in this swap.

Whoa. I knew there was no shortage of guards who eclipse Joe in advanced statistics, but I had no idea Lou's career PER is higher than Joe's. Some people think PER is hogwash, I'm much smarter than to discount this age old science of mathematics no matter how many hollow arguments some have whenever Joe tests out below a player in a statistical comparison. His rebound rate and total inability to get to the line kills his comprehensive production, always has. To basically swap Joe for Lou based on their production and salaries seems like common sense, but a majority of GMs couldn't do it, let alone as swiftly as Ferry did. Evidently, the guy hated Joe as much as I did. Love the guy.