• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How much will it cost to keep Smoove?

WraithSentinel

You are going to start seeing this more often under this new CBA. Players waiting until they are FA before re-signing just so they can get the 5-year deal now. Everything we read lately point to Smoove wanting to stay and Hawks wanting to keep Smoove.How much is it going to take to get Smoove sign long term?5 years/$??MMy guess is 5 years/$80M.

• Like 1

Josh is making 13.2 mil this season. Al is making 12mil/year for next 4 years. Josh's play this year will determine how much Ferry will offer, if he is not playing inside he will find that his market value will be low. (similar to when he was a FRA and Memphis was only team to offer contract).If he shows he can be "the man" while doing good things who knows.

Edited by JayBirdHawk

• Premium Member

Here's hoping Smoove is serious about wanting to win a title. He knows about the salary cap and the implications. I think he should be fairly compensated, but he knows he'll jepordize other avenues to improve the team if tries to get overpaid as many do.

In that summer league clip, Smith said that he plans to have the best season ever. If that's true, he'll get a max contract from some desperate team.This also means that he'll get at least 80 million from the Hawks.With Dallas flat out failing in free agency, and with Dirk entering the final years of his NBA career, they'll be looking to get a player. Look for them to get rid of Shawn Marion sometime before the trade deadline, to a team looking for playoff depth, with Dallas taking back expiring contracts. When that happens, the Mavs will be 30+ million under the cap. This will give them enough money to go after one, possibly 2 Max players.ClevelandDallasHoustonNew OrleansOrlando ( when they lose Howard )PhillyPhoenixToronto . . could all be teams looking to acquire Smith next summer. Houston will probably be the biggest threat, seeing that they've coveted him for a while now.One thing is for certain, Smith will not give the Hawks a "hometown discount", especially after they made him chase after his own deal last contract. If the Hawks retain Smith, it'll have to be for around 5 yrs - 85 million.Now, the question will be the same question we asked about Joe Johnson . . . . is he worth that?

A Max contract.I think under the NBA's current structure, teams not named the Heat and Lakers are going to have to overpay to keep or acquire talent just to compete. With these new super teams, everyone else has their backs against the walls. I hate it.

Giving out max contracts all over the place with this new CBA will spell doomTeams that keep space and flexibility will get bargainsWe cannot pay smoove that much...we won't have a shot at a championship if we doGotta trade him before we overpay him like we shoulda done with joe

A Max contract. I think under the NBA's current structure, teams not named the Heat and Lakers are going to have to overpay to keep or acquire talent just to compete. With these new super teams, everyone else has their backs against the walls. I hate it.

If its a max deal...he won't be a Hawk.

Hopefully Ferry will be able to convince Josh to take less money so we can get more talent here in Atlanta. Plus we will probably give Teague a mid level contract because i think Ferry is high on him.

I fully expect him to receive max offers.With all these crazy contracts being offered/signed this season and alot of teams desperately needs talent and have the cap space to do so. When teams miss out on d12/cp3/bynum. They will be going hard after smoove as a consolation prize.since we have horford locked up for the next 4 years and this team having other glaring needs SF/C/PG?? I dont think it makes much sense to bring him back and makes more sense just to try to get as many assets as we can for him unless howard makes it publicly well known that he wants to play with smoove then we can trade horford for alot of assets.Either way we can not keep horford and smith together for the next 4/5 years. Too small of a front court to be truly elite

Edited by yungsta

He will get a max offer; which is why moving JJ was so important to the ASG and the luxury tax implications. Even if we resign Smoove, he will put us in a bad spot just like JJ in a very short time. JJ was not worth a max neither is Smoove....maybe one day we will actually acquire a player who is worthy of a max lmao

Edited by Buzzard

Guest Walter

I'm afraid too much to enable us to add more than one max contract.

I think the only way JS takes slightly less from us is if by doing so we can get DH and CP3 or maybe Harden. I do think JS would consider this unlike a lot of players, but not to be paired with just anyone. W

I believe he is worth 5 yr 75 million but if illyasova got/gets 8-10 million he is gonna want moreI love snooze but we really do need to trade him for a good young contract or a low post scorer. I would do favors and milsap from UtahFavors is a good contract and Atlanta native. Milsap is a great bench role player

If Josh has his best season ever, like its been reported, he's going to want the max. Unless, he knows we can get some star players here. I think he will sacrifice a few million a year to get cp3 and/or Dwight Howard here.