• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So has his summer league performance changed your opinions on John Jenkins?

NJHAWK

I think he is a guy who can come in as a rook and get us 10-12 points a game off the bat. He is very crafty at scoring and a bullseye sharpshooter. One thing he does better than any player we have had here in some time is move without the ball. I think he can grow into a starters role very quickly ( by seasons end or start of next season).

• Like 1

No. I thought it was a good pick to begin with. He isn't a starter, but how many starters were drafted in the bottom half of the 1st round? How many all stars? I will take a reliable shooter on this team. Jenkins will never be a max contract guy but you better believe that a reliable 40% 3 point shooter who can score 8-12 points per game will get the MLE or about 4-7 million a year as an unrestricted free agent. I think that is what we picked up. I bet 2/3 of the picks after him never even average 10 points a game on a winning team in their careers.

From what I have seen in the summer league games he seems a very solid player. Willing to work hard on both ends of the floor. What I also liked was how he put it on the floor for the floater or a closer jump shot. Instead of just setting up and shooting the jumper. Which we all know he can do as well. I think he will only get better. Solid player that will play a significant role on the team. I really don't think you can ask for much more considering he was the 23rd pick of the draft. We will get a better idea once the season gets started, but I don't think you can be upset with what you have seen so far. Its not like he was a lottery pick.

• Moderators

Being a negative nancy towards a guy drafted to fill a part of Joe's absence iwhom, by all indications, is a better shooting guard, makes you seem like a jilted lover.

This confused me. Which guy is presumably better? I assume Joe. My objection to our collective draft this season was grabbing guys with limited upsides who aren't starter quality. I am taking a wait and see approach on Jenkins but his summer league performance means nothing. Summer league is fun to talk about but it isn't an indication that someone is or isn't ready to contribute in actual NBA games. So to the topic of the thread, I am going to remain positive and keep an entirely open mind on Jenkins and won't start evaluating him until the actual season.

My wording is confusing. I mean to say that it seems John is a better shooting guard. Now don't misunderstand. I am not saying he is better in other aspects. I am just getting annoyed with the jilted Joe lovers club acting as if we have automatically taken a huge step backwards without letting Jenkins, morrow and korver show what they can do in our offense. It's sour grapes from these guys and it's pathetic.

I could be wrong but that sounds like Ray Allen before he played an NBA game... lol

Not even close, Ray was an all around scorer and athlete at UConn and his first 8 or so seasons in the NBA before being reduced to Kyle Korver in Boston.

Not even close, Ray was an all around scorer and athlete at UConn and his first 8 or so seasons in the NBA before being reduced to Kyle Korver in Boston.

Ray has never been a player who was good at scoring off the dribble. Neither was he good at defender He got his points because he was the best shooter. He got his name in college because of his school's power/better players around him. I think the only difference is Ray has the size of a SG. Ray did his thing on a brighter stage. Don't get me wrong... Ray was good but I just don't think JJ is that far behind. JJ won't get the chance to really put on a show because Al, Smoove, Teague and the other good players on the Hawks. Put JJ with the Bobcats... You will see how close to Ray he really is.

• Premium Member

Joe is gone. The subtle sour grapes have to run out sometime. John might not live up to unreasonable expectations but he seems to be ready to fill a role and use his talents to help this team. Joe is gone. Let's move on Sothron. Being a negative nancy towards a guy drafted to fill a part of Joe's absence whom, by all indications, is a better shooting guard, makes you seem like a jilted lover.

Yes, because my post clearly compared a guy picked 24th or so in the draft with a six time All Star player. The OP asked a specific question and I gave a specific answer. How the world you construed that as bitter grapes over Joe Johnson is absurd. Almost as absurd are the people who actually "liked" that idiotic post. Here, let me tell you about the Amazing Spider Man movie I saw yesterday with my wife. It was good, not great, but good. I didn't like they changed the Lizard to look more like Killer Croc from Batman comics but it was still a good movie. So using your powers of observation one can clearly see that my talking about Amazing Spider Man must be sour grapes over Joe Johnson. It is exactly the same kind of bizarro world connection only a nut can make.
  • Like 1

Haven't seen one second of the kid, but I am excited about some of the commentary on how savvy he is as far as faking and stepping in to get better shots and what have you. Collective IQ has always been an issue with this squad. As a long-time Ray fan, I gotta always rep him. He routinely put up 25-5-5 when the West was stacked and always made the playoffs when the best players around him were Luke Ridnour, Reggie Evans, Rashard Lewis, and that backup 2 who played for the Spurs I forget. When Joe had that type of talent around him and posting 25-5-5 in a much weaker East, we were high lottery. Ray is also a slightly underrated defender for his career. He is one of the many Kobe disciples who wouldn't be who they are today (first ballot HOFer, three point king) without facing him as much as he did in the Pacific. Contrary to popular belief, he was a great all-around scorer in Seattle before that major injury.

I liked him a lil bit before summer league but now I love him. His shot is just so beautiful. He may never a great defender but he won't be getting schooled every night. He will get a lot of open shot moving without the ball: especially if he plays with Teague, who drives to the basket. I could see Jenkins get about 12 ppg. He might make all rookie 1st team.

• Premium Member

Why would summer league change anyone's opinion on anything?

I wouldn't ask serious questions or else you'll be accused of having sour grapes over Joe Johnson or let's pick some random ex-Hawk...Ken Norman.

I think its a real bad sign if a draft pick looks completely lost or overmatched vs Summer League comp like some of our picks have in the past. Id much rather have them play well like Jenkins did vs other draft picks and guys figting for nba jobs. Its certainly a step up from NCAA comp. He showed skills that wont change no matter who the comp he is playing against is. Things like moving without the ball, bball iq and being able to release the shot quick and knock down said shots with deadly range and accuracy.

Edited by NJHAWK
  • Like 1