• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Simmons talking Josh for Gasol

NineOhTheRino

• Premium Member

If we could move Gasol in a 3way, like Mace suggested where we get players from the Rockets (I believe) with Gasol going there and Smith going to LA then I'd absolutely have to consider it. If we were to get Gasol then I'd have to be certain I could move him next year for something of value since he's going to eat up a lot of our cap space.

• Like 1

Simmons (or was it Hollinger?) makes a great point that while Gasol won't be as dynamic as Josh and do what he does on the defensive end, he's so much smarter on offense and won't waste 5-6 offensive possessions per game like Josh does... which I think is a low number based on his jump shooting pattern. Gasol also gives us a lot more size and probably helps rebounding out a lot too since he'll spend more time in the paint on offense than Josh does.

• Like 2

Simmons (or was it Hollinger?) makes a great point that while Gasol won't be as dynamic as Josh and do what he does on the defensive end, he's so much smarter on offense and won't waste 5-6 offensive possessions per game like Josh does... which I think is a low number based on his jump shooting pattern. Gasol also gives us a lot more size and probably helps rebounding out a lot too since he'll spend more time in the paint on offense than Josh does.

That was Zach Lowe(not Hollinger). He was right on as usual.

I would much rather take Josh and his antics over the softest "big man" in the league.

Who also happens to STILL be light years more efficient than Josh. Pau is posting one of his worst years of his career and it's still better than Josh, who's also having an abysmal year. In fact Josh right now has a NEGATIVE win shares per 48 for the first time in his career. While Pau is having a down year for him, it would still qualify as the 3rd best ever for Josh in WP48.
  • Like 2

Look at Ferry's self-evident philosophy... he's not taking on salary, or at least, not unless it's a long-term piece of the plan. Gasol contract expires 2014. He's 32 years old. Nuff said.

I think it's too early to say that, especially since this is the first time we're getting to see what he does with a contract year player. And Gasol would likely be a very valuable contract next year as an expiring to use in trade for a big time player.

That was Zach Lowe(not Hollinger). He was right on as usual.

Ah yes, thanks Sultan!

Is this just a rumor or do you think there is a real possibility the Hawks could trade Smith for Gasol? And, if this did happen would it be a straight up trade or would one team (I am guessing the Hawks) have to add another player or draft pick to this trade?

It's just a rumor, although it doesn't seem to want to go away. But the thought was to move Josh along with Korver and perhaps Petro and get back Gasol. I wouldn't want to lose Korver, but if it meant playing time for Jenkins then I'd definitely consider it.

• Admin

With the exception of age and contract Pau is a much better fit here. He and Horford would make a great mid range / inside duo. Who ever called him the 'softest' big men has never watched him play. He is an excellent rebounder, high bbiq, good passer, nice all around offensive game and a very underrated defender. However, the age and contract does come into it.

• Like 2

With the exception of age and contract Pau is a much better fit here. He and Horford would make a great mid range / inside duo. Who ever called him the 'softest' big men has never watched him play. He is an excellent rebounder, high bbiq, good passer, nice all around offensive game and a very underrated defender. However, the age and contract does come into it.

Gasol really isn't even that old as he's only 32 years old and won't be 33 until next offseason. Sure he's got a lot of wear on his body, but if Nash and KG can play this well this far past 32 I don't see any reason to believe why Gasol cannot do it. We're not talking about a guy who weighs 300+ lbs and the pounding his body takes because of it. He may be a "finesse" player but like you said he's a very underrated defender. In fact this year he's equal to Josh in WS48 and his NET PER is significantly better than Josh at both PF (4.6 to -3.4) and C (7.9 to -5.6). Gasol has been much better than Josh year and PER, EFF, Simple Rating, etc. all back this up. Prior to this year I probably wouldn't have made the trade but seeing how Josh is continuing to play the same way he played with Joe, I'm no longer against this trade and am now in favor of it.
  • Like 4

Gasol really isn't even that old as he's only 32 years old and won't be 33 until next offseason. Sure he's got a lot of wear on his body, but if Nash and KG can play this well this far past 32 I don't see any reason to believe why Gasol cannot do it. We're not talking about a guy who weighs 300+ lbs and the pounding his body takes because of it. He may be a "finesse" player but like you said he's a very underrated defender. In fact this year he's equal to Josh in WS48 and his NET PER is significantly better than Josh at both PF (4.6 to -3.4) and C (7.9 to -5.6). Gasol has been much better than Josh year and PER, EFF, Simple Rating, etc. all back this up. Prior to this year I probably wouldn't have made the trade but seeing how Josh is continuing to play the same way he played with Joe, I'm no longer against this trade and am now in favor of it.

I'm just sick of this all together. The only reason I'm not for this trade 100% is that Drew is still here. If we could clean out Drew and bring in a Van Gundy I would do it in a heart beat.
  • Like 1

I'm just sick of this all together. The only reason I'm not for this trade 100% is that Drew is still here. If we could clean out Drew and bring in a Van Gundy I would do it in a heart beat.

LD may not be the greatest coach in the world but I would think that Gasol would be a significantly better fit for his "motion" offense than Josh is and at least we wouldn't have to worry about Gasol needing to have any bad habits changed as LD doesn't have the ability to do that anyway. Let's bring in both Van Gundy's to coach and call them co-head coaches. Stan can yell and look less than fashionable while Jeff can look snazzy and get physical with the players. At the very least we'd have some damn entertaining post-game pressers.
  • Like 1

• Premium Member

I would much rather take Josh and his antics over the softest "big man" in the league.

Lets look at career stats. I would say that Josh is soft in the post, no game at all. Gasol is a big time player still at his age. Smoove is a average player at best because of his attitude.

I think Gasol and Horford makes us the 2 seed in the east for sure. Josh and his antics have to go somehow. We are not signing this guy to a max contract. I really hate it because at times I really love Josh. But defending him at this point is nothing more than being a fanboy. If a third team could get involved where the Hawks get a future first along with Gasol, then I'm saying we make the move in a milli-second.

• Like 1

And Gasol would likely be a very valuable contract next year as an expiring to use in trade for a big time player.

Expiring contracts have value but JS and DS's expirings have as much "value" as Gasol's. Such value would still be a talent loss for us. Thus trading Gasol in a year as a throw-away contract (less value than Gasol himself) and putting off rebuilding a year seems dumb. I'm not entirely against Gasol, but without JJ I wouldn't do it. Mind you, I prefer not having JJ's contract. W