• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Simmons talking Josh for Gasol

NineOhTheRino

Expiring contracts have value but JS and DS's expirings have as much "value" as Gasol's. Such value would still be a talent loss for us. Thus trading Gasol in a year as a throw-away contract (less value than Gasol himself) and putting off rebuilding a year seems dumb. I'm not entirely against Gasol, but without JJ I wouldn't do it. Mind you, I prefer not having JJ's contract. W

Josh is losing value every game this year with the way he is playing. We might actually have a shot at winning some games this year if we were to replace Josh with Gasol. And I have to think that Gasol would draw more interest as trade bait than Josh Smith would, even a year from now. Gasol wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm ready for Josh to go as he's showing he is who we thought he is and it's time to let him get away (for something in return of course).

• Premium Member

Josh is losing value every game this year with the way he is playing. We might actually have a shot at winning some games this year if we were to replace Josh with Gasol. And I have to think that Gasol would draw more interest as trade bait than Josh Smith would, even a year from now. Gasol wouldn't be my first choice, but I'm ready for Josh to go as he's showing he is who we thought he is and it's time to let him get away (for something in return of course).

Getting Gasol for him right now would be a complete steal.

I hadn't realized a guy could ruin his trade value after 7 games.

I'm not saying he's ruined it, but it's certainly not getting better and IMO he's losing value by having his worst season in a long time and the fact that he's doing that in his first attempt to be "the man" doesn't look good.

By the same merit, people are using ridiculously small sample sizes to make judgements on Pau's "decline".

Pau had a slightly down year last year and it's gotten a little worse this year as well, but it's still better than Josh this year. I think the issue with Pau is that he's not a good fit for the system they've run in LA the past 1+ years and I don't think he's a good fit for the D'Antoni offense either.

Pau had a slightly down year last year and it's gotten a little worse this year as well, but it's still better than Josh this year. I think the issue with Pau is that he's not a good fit for the system they've run in LA the past 1+ years and I don't think he's a good fit for the D'Antoni offense either.

Part of my point. LA decides to make Bynum and now Dwight higher post options over him and we see a decline in his stats and we hear "HES DECLINING BECAUSE HE'S OLD AND ON HIS LAST LEGS" On that same coin Josh get's promoted to a higher option and takes more shots to score slightly more points and we hear "HE'S ENTERING HIS PRIME!" Pau (a top notch post scorer) is being forced out to the perimeter (a place Josh likes to hang out in on his own) to open up the floor for other bigs. Of course his shooting percentages will decline but his rebounding is the same, his assists are the same, his defense is the same, is he 30? Yea. Okay, he should be retiring soon.
  • Like 1

I'm not saying he's ruined it, but it's certainly not getting better and IMO he's losing value by having his worst season in a long time and the fact that he's doing that in his first attempt to be "the man" doesn't look good.

You were right the first time. He needs to be traded. I would have to imaging someone like Pau would be better at attracting a superstar also this offseason. Who cares about playing with Brick?? Answer = nobody. Not even his friends want to play with him.
  • Like 1

Part of my point. LA decides to make Bynum and now Dwight higher post options over him and we see a decline in his stats and we hear "HES DECLINING BECAUSE HE'S OLD AND ON HIS LAST LEGS" On that same coin Josh get's promoted to a higher option and takes more shots to score slightly more points and we hear "HE'S ENTERING HIS PRIME!" Pau (a top notch post scorer) is being forced out to the perimeter (a place Josh likes to hang out in on his own) to open up the floor for other bigs. Of course his shooting percentages will decline but his rebounding is the same, his assists are the same, his defense is the same, is he 30? Yea. Okay, he should be retiring soon.

I mean if you are making excuses for Pau struggling in a certain offense I could argue Josh is struggling in Drew's offense. If you put him in a vintage D'antoni offense you could surmise he would reach his potential. The drew offense is designed for jump shooters. Not only that it usually has any given big out on the perimeter attempting to find the shooter(s) trying to shake free. Once that shooter can't get his shot off, guess what happens next. He passes to a guy like Josh with the option to shoot his favorite shot. That's why we always rank among the last in free throw attempts. You always die by the jumpshot as Barkley would say. This is why Drew will be let go. He doesn't work towards his players strengths. You notice he hasn't called upon a guy like Ivan for a post up situation.

I mean if you are making excuses for Pau struggling in a certain offense I could argue Josh is struggling in Drew's offense. If you put him in a vintage D'antoni offense you could surmise he would reach his potential.

The drew offense is designed for jump shooters. Not only that it usually has any given big out on the perimeter attempting to find the shooter(s) trying to shake free. Once that shooter can't get his shot off, guess what happens next. He passes to a guy like Josh with the option to shoot his favorite shot. That's why we always rank among the last in free throw attempts. You always die by the jumpshot as Barkley would say.

This is why Drew will be let go. He doesn't work towards his players strengths. You notice he hasn't called upon a guy like Ivan for a post up situation.

No, Josh has simply overindulged in a habit that he has had for an entire career. You'll have a hard time convincing anybody that Josh taking jumpshots is some sort of new development under Drew. The only difference is that now that his overall shot attempts have gone up of course the number of jumpers have gone up also but the ratios are still identical. In fact, so far this season Josh has actually decreased his ratio of jumpers to inside shots to below 50% for the first time since Woody was here but his FG% is terrible because he's been beyond attrocious on any of his attempts.

Gasol on the other hand has just recently been introduced to having other dominant post scorers sharing the court at the same time as him. I guess that's an excuse, I just thought it was common sense though but perhaps it takes an understanding of physics to know that two objects cannot occupy the same spot in time and space.

• Like 1

I hadn't realized a guy could ruin his trade value after 7 games.

Josh's trade value was ruined long before this season.

If we are a playoff team then I have no problem with Smith / cap filler / for Pau Gasol trade. However, if we look like a lottery team, or #7 or #8 seed, then I see no reason to add Gasol.....Young players and a late 1st round pick would fit the franchise better. However, if we are a #6 seed, or better, then I like the idea of getting Gasol around th trade deadline.

If the free agent market looked better for the summer of 2013 then I would have a different take. With Harden, Curry, Ibaka, and other young talent having already signed extensions there are really no big fish left in the 2013 free agency pool (with Paul and Howard seemingly making their homes in LA). The point is Josh Smith's cap room will probably not do us any good in 2013. So why not have Pau Gasol for the 2013-14 season vs. cap space you can't use ? Then you can always move Gasol in the 2013-14 season or hope the free agent market looks better in the summer of 2014 when his contract falls off the books.

I really think a frontline of Horford / Gasol could give the Heat some problems. Wade has really lost step. Our quick guards will be a handful for him.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I would be all for a trade right now. Coachx just hit the head of the nail. We don't have to waste our cap space in a depleted free-agent market.So maybe we should start thinking 2014 free agent market. I also think anyone who is hoping we land Paul or Howard is delusional. Unless, of course, we actually trade for Gasol and become a force in the East. Maybe then Paul would be interested, but I still doubt it.I don't think Paul would leave the Clippers to join a dysfunctional team.

• Like 1

But then again, it will all that cap space that was made last off-season into a dud. But I think that a three-way trade would work alot better than using up all of that cap space for nothing. A team like Houston that have youth, space and draft picks plus they always want Pau and with Asik, Harden, Lin. Houston would be a shoo-in for the playoffs (in return give us the Rockets pick this year). I think we need to look into the future not worry about Playoffs or anything like that until this roster is ready and I dont think it is.

• Premium Member

To let some tell it, we shouldn't even be having this conversation because Josh will be THE reason Dwight comes to Atlanta in the offseason and thus, won't be traded. Of course this is totally unfounded and I don't see Dwight leaving L.A. to come here JUST because his "friend" is here. I'll gladly eat crow if it were true, but I don't see it happening.With all that said, I do think the Hawks should pursue a three team deal if the Lakers offer Pau.

Why would Ferry ruin his hard work and throw away all that cap space. The simple answer is he's not. The way to go is a deep team vs. throwing a third of your cap space on one player. We did it with Joe and when he couldn't carry the team, you literally had 6 journeymen on the bench trying to find something. In today's NBA, I think we can get a solid 9-10 starter caliber rotation opposed to what happened in Orlando. Pound for pound there is no truer player in free agency than us. Here's a list Chris Kaman - UFA OJ Mayo – PO Jason Maxiell – UFA Carl Landry – PO David West – UFA Chris Paul – UFA Dwight Howard – UFA Tony Allen – UFA Mike Dunleavy – UFA Nikola Pekovic – RFA Al Aminu – UFA Tyreke Evans – RFA Al Jefferson – UFA Paul Milsap – UFA Andrew Bynum- UFA

Edited by Kimsey

• Premium Member

Funny how it's known that one of the best teams in pro sports covet this guy yet we say he has no trade value. We don't want him. We are irritated with him. Does that have anything to do with his trade value? No! The Lakers see a difference maker, and that's why they win titles and the Hawks wonder aimlessly.

At the end of the day I can't say if the Hawks are better or worse? This collection of mismatched parts appears mediocre with Josh or Pau.

Edited by NineOhTheRino

Funny how it's known that one of the best teams in pro sports covet this guy yet we say he has no trade value. We don't want him. We are irritated with him. Does that have anything to do with his trade value? No! The Lakers see a difference maker, and that's why they win titles and the Hawks wonder aimlessly.

At the end of the day I can't say if the Hawks are better or worse? This collection of mismatched parts appears mediocre with Josh or Pau.

So why were they asking for much more when this deal was originally on the table forcing the Hawks to walk away?