• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Simmons talking Josh for Gasol

NineOhTheRino

I've gone back and forth about Gasol. When we had Joe, I thought maybe Gasol for Smith could be a difference maker. Maybe not between a championship or not, but possibly being more relevant and better balance as a team. Post Joe, I didn't think so. Smith can change the game in so many ways. Many good, some bad. One thing about this team though that you do have to consider. Gasol would work in this offense and here's how....Gasol is one of the most skilled post players in the NBA. In L.A., he's not featured so his PPG numbers are down considerably from his days in Memphis. It doesn't help that he's getting older. Since he's a skilled scorer in the post, he gets what I call the "Korver factor". Even when Kyle's shots weren't falling early on, teams had to respect his skill on the perimeter and guard him. That gave our guys easier buckets in the lane. Gasol will demand attention in the post, possibly even double teams. This will leave guys like Korver, Stevenson, Teague, Morrow, and others open for 3's. Gasol isn't a game changer in the way that Smith is, but he's also a guy that has a lot lower ceiling, but is alot more reliable, consistent and dependable. The key to Gasol is do we feel we have a realistic shot at bringing in a Dwight Howard, Andrew Bynum, Chris Paul type FA in the offseason? If not, then maybe that money isn't a bad investment into Gasol for 2 more years. It's likely Smith will command something relatively close to Gasol's current $; however it will be much longer than the 2 years owed to Gasol. Get a Gasol and still have Horford, Lou and Jenkins under contract for next season with the possibility of a little money after re-signing your returning FA's to go over a solid second tier guy. If you think you've got a great shot at getting one or two of those key FA's then you keep what you've got and pray for a miracle.

Funny how it's known that one of the best teams in pro sports covet this guy yet we say he has no trade value. We don't want him. We are irritated with him. Does that have anything to do with his trade value? No! The Lakers see a difference maker, and that's why they win titles and the Hawks wonder aimlessly.

At the end of the day I can't say if the Hawks are better or worse? This collection of mismatched parts appears mediocre with Josh or Pau.

The Lakers have never said they are interested in Josh Smith. It's been journalist rumors and stuff from Magic Johnson.

Horford and Howard would be such a good combo. I think they would complement each other almost perfectly. Too bad the douche didn't want to come here.Due to the difference in age and athletic ability it stinks to have to seriously entertain the idea of trading Josh for Gasol. But Josh simply isn't worth the commitment that he will likely command. And judging by his attitude this season, I don't think he wants to be here anymore anyway.

• Premium Member

Funny how it's known that one of the best teams in pro sports covet this guy yet we say he has no trade value. We don't want him. We are irritated with him. Does that have anything to do with his trade value? No! The Lakers see a difference maker, and that's why they win titles and the Hawks wonder aimlessly.

At the end of the day I can't say if the Hawks are better or worse? This collection of mismatched parts appears mediocre with Josh or Pau.

The Lakers have the players and ownership that would keep Josh in line. The Hawks have none of this. There are no leaders on the Hawks, and no JJ wasnt either.

But then again, it will all that cap space that was made last off-season into a dud.

You missed the point. There are no big fish left in the free agent pool of 2013 (assuming Paul and Howard are making their homes in LA). D. Williams, Harden, Curry, and Ibaka have signed extensions. So that cap room wil do us no good in the summer of 2013. Might as well have Pau Gaslo playing smart basketball for the 2013-14 season. Then his contract falls off the books in 2014 when hopefully there will be better free agent pool then in 2013.

You missed the point. There are no big fish left in the free agent pool of 2013 (assuming Paul and Howard are making their homes in LA). D. Williams, Harden, Curry, and Ibaka have signed extensions. So that cap room wil do us no good in the summer of 2013. Might as well have Pau Gaslo playing smart basketball for the 2013-14 season. Then his contract falls off the books in 2014 when hopefully there will be better free agent pool then in 2013.

But it will be better with younger talent and draft picks then just Gasol because we will be back during the JJ era, Good enough to reach the playoffs, not good enough to get to the ECF and Finals. Besides we still cant defeat the teams like the Heat, Knicks and others right now even with our current set-up with Gasol. I will love to just get young talent and picks for Smith in a three way with Lakers and Rockets.

You missed the point.

There are no big fish left in the free agent pool of 2013 (assuming Paul and Howard are making their homes in LA). D. Williams, Harden, Curry, and Ibaka have signed extensions. So that cap room wil do us no good in the summer of 2013. Might as well have Pau Gaslo playing smart basketball for the 2013-14 season. Then his contract falls off the books in 2014 when hopefully there will be better free agent pool then in 2013.

There really isn't for 2014. http://www.hoopsworld.com/2014-nba-free-agents/

2014 Realistic options:

Pau Gasol

Danny Granger

Luol Deng

Marcin Gortat

Kyle Lowry

I don't see the rush on renting Pau Gasol for a year, when realistically we can get him in a year (LA isn't gonna re-sign him) Trading Josh Smith to LA all but guarantees Dwight to re-sign with LA regardless of them collapsing this year or not, and guarantees CP3 to not sign here.