• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Brittney Griner Comes Out As A Lesbian

PSSSHHHRRR87

• Moderators

Brittney Griner came out publicly as a lesbian in an interview with Sports Illustrated's Maggie Gray.

Griner was the No. 1 overall pick of the WNBA Draft on Monday.

Griner was asked about the differences between men's and women's sports, where the latter has several prominent, openly gay athletes.

"I really couldn't give an answer on why that's so different," said Griner. "Being one that's out, it's just being who you are. Again, like I said, just be who you are. Don't worry about what other people are going to say, because they're always going to say something, but, if you're just true to yourself, let that shine through. Don't hide who you really are."

Griner was asked if the decision to be candid with her sexuality was difficult.

"It really wasn't too difficult, I wouldn't say I was hiding or anything like that. I've always been open about who I am and my sexuality. So, it wasn't hard at all. If I can show that I'm out and I'm fine and everything's OK, then hopefully the younger generation will definitely feel the same way."

I imagine being a lesbian in sports is easier than being a gay man in sports, but still being gay in sports isn't the easiest thing and I applaud her bravery and for being open about it. Wish her the best and a long, sustained career.

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/227269/Brittney-Griner-Comes-Out-As-Lesbian

• Like 2

I imagine she has a hard time finding a dude not scared away by a 6'8" woman.

This! I think a lot of that issue with female athletes being lesbians is that what makes them great at the sport makes them unattractive to the majority of men. In counter to that they are attractive to other females. I want to hangout with Brittany, but I wouldn't want to date her.

• Like 1

My initial response was "OK so what?" I would hope the response is the same when an active man comes out in one of the 4 major sports leagues. It is more of a symbolic big deal than an actual big deal.

• Moderators

Good for her.

Noteworthy is that it wasn't a drum-rolled, trumpeted announcement, although the media unavoidably plays it up as such for our amusement. She was already out for awhile. She just casually, matter-of-factly referenced it in response to a separate question. It's what to expect from many young out athletes going forward.

~lw3

• Moderators

Yup. Not to spark a gay-rights argument or anything, but I feel it's sad that athletes feel that keeping their orientation to themselves for fear of retribution from fans, the media, and teammates. I applaud anybody that has enough self-security to admit something like this. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

My initial response was "OK so what?" I would hope the response is the same when an active man comes out in one of the 4 major sports leagues. It is more of a symbolic big deal than an actual big deal.

I am apathetic towards issues like this, I guess I was too optimistically apathetic on this particular subject. Why can't the sports universe be more focused on Tebow and the Jets?

• Moderators

I am apathetic towards issues like this, I guess I was too optimistically apathetic on this particular subject. Why can't the sports universe be more focused on Tebow and the Jets?

Top 2 Stories Listed on ESPN's Home Page (right side list of stories):

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9222870/new-york-jets-cut-tim-tebow

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/9222945/new-york-jets-tim-tebow-debacle-was-jets-worst-move-ever

#3 is Jason Collins

My ESPN ban is still going strong, so I am getting my info from pretty much every other source. And now this is kind of awkward that I am actually advocating what ESPN is doing...uhhh quick change the subject. How about this weather??

• Moderators

Your post just made me laugh when I read it so I figured I would see where the Jets/Tebow action was located.

On SI it is the #2 story so some overblown media reports can still be relied upon. I am sure the next time Tebow runs through a field shirtless that he will be back front and center in the media eye!

Your post just made me laugh when I read it so I figured I would see where the Jets/Tebow action was located.

On SI it is the #2 story so some overblown media reports can still be relied upon. I am sure the next time Tebow runs through a field shirtless that he will be back front and center in the media eye!

The article did come out of SI and ESPN has notoriously been dogged for not citing other sources, ignoring other media outlets, and all-in-all being shitty media corespondents. They are more focused with their media personalities than actual content, so that is partially a reason why ESPN has Tebow as #1 and #2.

• Moderators

It's starting to get old. I will defend gays right to get married and all of that, but do these guys and gals have to let the world know? If you want to be treated like everyone else, then act like everyone else.

In fairness, is Derek Jeter keeping his love life out of the press? I can understand not wanting to actively hide your personal life when all your teammates can do what they want in their personal lives openly (except the ones cheating on their wives - they do the cheating part more discretely). Then if you don't make a statement before you stop hiding yourself, you will still have all the media attention and have to give your story or be hounded. It will just start from TMZ or some tabloid printing pictures and blow out from there instead of starting with your words.

When it stops being a media story for a male NBA player to be gay then there will be no more press conferences. I doubt this will sell ads (i.e., be worthy of media coverage) a decade from now but today it is a big deal to the press.

Edited by AHF

• 2 weeks later...

I thought her and Anthony Davis were going to create an 8 foot tall basketball force.

That would be too awesome. Can you imagine a pair of like 7'6" super athletes in the NBA 19 or 20 years from now