• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Sam Amico: "Executives feel no one other than the Lakers and the Hawks stands much of a chance to land Dwight"; Mo Cheeks option for HC?

GameTime

http://network.yardbarker.com/nba/article_external/nba_notes_hawks_expected_to_make_serious_run_at_howard/13570043

With eight expiring contracts and a general manager hired precisely for these situations, the Atlanta Hawks are convinced they can make a major offseason overhaul.

And their No. 1 target, say multiple NBA executives, is none other than the offseason’s biggest prize: Los Angeles Lakers center Dwight Howard.
Howard’s contract is expiring after one forgettable year in LA -- a year that began in disarray and ended in disappointment following a first-round playoff sweep to the San Antonio Spurs.
While the Lakers are hoping to give the key members of their current cast another season, Hawks GM Danny Ferry believes this is the summer that could change the course of his franchise.
Granted, it won’t be easy for anyone to pry Howard away from the Lakers, considering he can sign a maximum contract with them and nobody else. But the Hawks are optimistic a chance to return to his hometown and the uncertainty surrounding the Lakers will cause Howard to pause and give them serious consideration, league executives say.
Ferry and the Hawks certainly possess the financial wiggle room. Along with the expiring deal of Josh Smith ($13.2 million), the contracts of Devin Harris, Zaza Pachulia, Kyle Korver, Johan Petro, Dahntay Jones, Anthony Tolliver and Shelvin Mack are also coming off the books.
The Hawks also hold team options on the contracts of DeShawn Stevenson and rookie Mike Scott, and there’s no indication the team will pick up either.
In other words, not only could the Hawks sign Howard, but they could pursue another star to complement Howard and returning veteran Al Horford. They are also expected to be active once the trading season heats up around the time of the draft in late June.
On top of all this, the contract of Hawks coach Larry Drew is expiring, opening the door for Ferry to handpick Drew’s predecessor should Ferry decide to go that route. Most sources believe that’s exactly what Ferry will do.
While some inside league circles are convinced Howard will take the max deal from the Lakers, many seem to think it’s no sure thing.
Kobe Bryant is coming off Achilles tendon surgery and turns 35 years old in August. The Lakers’ other top players, Paul Gasol and Metta World Peace, will each be 33 at the start of next season, and point guard Steve Nash is 39.
That makes each tough to trade when the idea is receiving equal or increased value in return -- and could mean the Lakers might soon enter a rebuilding phase, even with Howard.
These are all possible selling points for Ferry when he and Howard can finally engage in conversation, executives indicated, and points that could sway Howard’s potential decision to leave LA.
Other teams, such as the Houston Rockets and Phoenix Suns, are expected to extend offers to Howard once free agency begins -- but executives feel no one other than the Lakers and the Hawks stands much of a chance to land him.
Howard, 27, is an Atlanta native and played his high school ball at Southwest Christian Academy, from where the Orlando Magic selected him with the No. 1 overall pick in the 2004 NBA draft.
He spent the first eight years of his career with the Magic before a trade sent him to the Lakers last August. His father is the athletic director at Southwest Christian Academy and a Georgia state trooper.
Howard averaged 17.1 points and 12.4 rebounds in 76 games with LA this past season.
Double Dribbles
• If Drew is not retained by the Hawks, sources expect Ferry to extend an interview to former college coach and NBA assistant Quin Snyder. Ferry and Snyder were roommates when the two played together at Duke University in the 1980s.
• Spurs assistant Mike Budenholzer and Oklahoma City Thunder assistant Maurice Cheeks have also been linked to the potential coaching vacancy with the Hawks.

• Like 3

I can't emphasize how bad an idea Quin Snyder is from a PR standpoint. At least with Mike B. he's got the pedigree being Pops top assistant for years.

In another thread, I was supporting the hire of Snyder. I didn't think it would be a bad hire... Now, I'm not so sure. I agree it probably would be bad for PR. I knew he and Ferry played together, but I didn't know they were roommates and probably best friends. I hope Ferry chooses with his mind and not his heart.

• Like 1

In another thread, I was supporting the hire of Snyder. I didn't think it would be a bad hire... Now, I'm not so sure. I agree it probably would be bad for PR. I knew he and Ferry played together, but I didn't know they were roommates and probably best friends. I hope Ferry chooses with his mind and not his heart.

Oh shit that reminds me of BK and Woody

No no noooooooooooooooooooo

• Like 3

Spolestra was a nobody. You guys kill me with the name meaning more than game. Quin has the most experience at being a head coach. Mike Budenholzer has assisted. That's it. His resume is about the same as Woody's was.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Spolestra is just about as fortunate a human being as there is on the planet. He is the beneficiary of the planets aligning just right.

Unlike Miami when they were recruiting Bosh and James, ATL has no Wade equivalent to draw CP3 and DH to consider less salary for the purpose of challenging for a title. A head coach with a pedigree is almost imperative, imo... both Paul and Howard have been playing for coaches widely considered suspect for much of their careers, and to have someone who would have instant credibility is huge.

Edited by sturt
  • Like 1

I don't know about MO Cheeks. I mean I somewhat remember the days he coached Philly but not really. I do remember alot of Philly fans saying coach Meeks offense was terrible and that he had no real scheme but I don't know if there's any truth to that.Can anybody explain mo cheeks as a coach?...I sure hope he isn't a iso coach like woody and Nate McMillan.

I don't know about MO Cheeks. I mean I somewhat remember the days he coached Philly but not really. I do remember alot of Philly fans saying coach Meeks offense was terrible and that he had no real scheme but I don't know if there's any truth to that.Can anybody explain mo cheeks as a coach?...I sure hope he isn't a iso coach like woody and Nate McMillan.

NO to MO - his sideline demeanor reminds me of LD.

• Moderators

Larry Drew was an assistant head coach for 20 something years in this league before the Hawks made him their HC. Being an assistant under Pop means nothing for Budenholzer. I'll take a roll of the dice on Snyder before assuming Budenholzer is a sure thing...

As for Howard, it's all things that are already known... Does Dwight want the money, prestige, and big market spotlight that LA can offer or does he actually want to compete with an up and coming team with real potential and would have the chance to play with another young All Star, but can't offer anything that LA can. Honestly, I think Howard would be stupid to go back to the hell hole that is the Lakers.

• Premium Member

Spolestra was a nobody. You guys kill me with the name meaning more than game. Quin has the most experience at being a head coach. Mike Budenholzer has assisted. That's it. His resume is about the same as Woody's was.

You don't get any points with Spolestra. Anyone could coach that team.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

NO to MO - his sideline demeanor reminds me of LD.

This assumes that there is one kind of sideline demeanor that translates to success, but I would be curious to know how accurate that assumption is.

Spoelstra did coach the team before the big 3 and was decent, didn't that team with just Wade take the Hawks to 7 games?He has to get some credit for guys buying into his system - particularly on the defensive end.

your kidding right?...my 9 year old nephew could coach the heat with that roster. Spoelstra gets no credit in my book.

name a coach who hasn't had a great roster that has won a championship in the last 20 years?

Really? I bet the people in LA thought the same thing.

Spolestra is just about as fortunate a human being as there is on the planet. He is the beneficiary of the planets aligning just right.

Unlike Miami when they were recruiting Bosh and James, ATL has no Wade equivalent to draw CP3 and DH to consider less salary for the purpose of challenging for a title. A head coach with a pedigree is almost imperative, imo... both Paul and Howard have been playing for coaches widely considered suspect for much of their careers, and to have someone who would have instant credibility is huge.

Look a guy that has coached with the olympic team has a lot connections. Many of those are players. At any rate where is this great coach who these guys will whole heartedly by into?

Mo Cheeks was on my short list yesterday. He was a fine coach in Portland but did not have much to work with in Philly. He was one of the best PGs of the 80's and a guy I think should be considered for the HOF as a player.

Many of us will never forget this show of class. Watch to the 50 second mark:

• Like 3

• Moderators

Mo Cheeks was on my short list yesterday. He was a fine coach in Portland but did not have much to work with in Philly. He was one of the best PGs of the 80's and a guy I think should be considered for the HOF as a player.

Many of us will never forget this show of class. Watch to the 50 second mark:

I'd never seen that. That was absolutely awesome.

• Premium Member

Spoelstra did coach the team before the big 3 and was decent, didn't that team with just Wade take the Hawks to 7 games?He has to get some credit for guys buying into his system - particularly on the defensive end.

Until we see him head coach a team without superstars on the roster it is impossible to judge just how good he is. I also to be fair have the same criticism of Phil Jackson. He never coached a team without a superstar on it. I'm not saying that disqualifies them from being good coaches but it also doesn't automatically make them good coaches because they had superstars.