• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks in the mix for Greg Oden?

Dimesadozen

Look after this offseason failure I am not buying into we are getting Oden. Would I love it? Sure! But this offseason has proved that until further notice this franchise is not a locale anyone wants to go to UNLESS they are getting overpaid. I love the Hawks, but this offseason has been a total loss in my book. I think the only reason we are mentioned at all is that he worked out for us. But let's be real, the Heat are interested and willing to spend money and as much as anyone would like to admit, the possibility of getting a ring for a little less money will ALWAYS be at the top of the totem pole followed by a huge pay-day. I would love to see what we are offering in comparison to NO.

• Like 1

Hey I go by what I have read, heard on ESPN, and make educated assumptions on those reports. I am okay with being wrong I am not okay with hiding my face in the sand and saying this team is anything other than mediocre at best if everyone plays at the top of their levels. I have accepted this franchise is a joke. Does that mean I won't be a fan? NO....but I am not going to be all roses, sunshine, rainbows, and unicorns. Not one talk or report has been we are even close to being a favorite like NO or MIA. Not a single report has really even mentioned us on anything BUT blogs. Sure the team has been thrown out there, but more like an afterthought than a serious consideration...like every other FA of worth this offseason.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Fanatic isn't asking you to do anything but be accurate with whatever reports you raise to support your opinion, Noble. No need to be so defensive.

Edited by sturt

Usually, when someone says, "There's one thing I've learned" you can pretty well knowthat they haven't learned anything.Therefore, one thing I've learned, posters here on Hawksquawk this off season are eithermore positive or more negetive about this present Hawk team than at any time that I havebeen on here. That's a long time!There seems to be very little middle ground. Some posters believe that the moves by theowners / front office means that we will have an exciting, competetive team, filled with thetype players that aren't afraid to bang, hit the floor for the ball and have a pretty good IQand the size necessary to carry out the overall plan.Other posters believe that we have one player, Horford, which is good enough to competein the NBA. Without him, Hawks would be lucky to win 20 games. None of the draft picks,with the exception of Dennis the Menance, are worthy of being called an NBA player andwas a wasted move. That Dennis is years away from being a true PG, as opposed to Jeff,who can't play a decent PG, ever.Where are the middle of the road posters? There are a few here but most seem to be oneextreme or the other. Either the Hawks are very good or very, very bad.

Edited by Gray Mule

Look after this offseason failure I am not buying into we are getting Oden. Would I love it? Sure! But this offseason has proved that until further notice this franchise is not a locale anyone wants to go to UNLESS they are getting overpaid. I love the Hawks, but this offseason has been a total loss in my book. I think the only reason we are mentioned at all is that he worked out for us. But let's be real, the Heat are interested and willing to spend money and as much as anyone would like to admit, the possibility of getting a ring for a little less money will ALWAYS be at the top of the totem pole followed by a huge pay-day. I would love to see what we are offering in comparison to NO.

If franchise is joke...Y so serious?!

• Moderators

Usually, when someone says, "There's one thing I've learned" you can pretty well knowthat they haven't learned anything.Therefore, one thing I've learned, posters here on Hawksquawk this off season are eithermore positive or more negetive about this present Hawk team than at any time that I havebeen on here. That's a long time!There seems to be very little middle ground. Some posters believe that the moves by theowners / front office means that we will have an exciting, competetive team, filled with thetype players that aren't afraid to bang, hit the floor for the ball and have a pretty good IQand the size necessary to carry out the overall plan.Other posters believe that we have one player, Horford, which is good enough to competein the NBA. Without him, Hawks would be lucky to win 20 games. None of the draft picks,with the exception of Dennis the Menance, are worthy of being called an NBA player andwas a wasted move. That Dennis is years away from being a true PG, as opposed to Jeff,who can't play a decent PG, ever.Where are the middle of the road posters? There are a few here but most seem to be oneextreme or the other. Either the Hawks are very good or very, very bad.

Honestly I think the ones saying we will be a good playoff team are the middle of the pack. I haven't seen anyone say we will be an ECF contender but to me that would be the extreme positive. 40-45 wins and a 5th seed in the east is not extreme optimism. To say that a team that is roughly the same except for Josh Smith / Paul Milsap is suddenly going to be a 25 game winner is extreme. If you are only going to win 25 games in the east you have to try really hard to lose.

• Moderators

I think there are a lot of people who are negative on the offseason and a lot that are positive on the offseason who see the Hawks as a 5-8 seed sort of team in the East this season. It is more about the long-term plan for the team where there is a wide divergence of opinion.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think there are a lot of people who are negative on the offseason and a lot that are positive on the offseason who see the Hawks as a 5-8 seed sort of team in the East this season. It is more about the long-term plan for the team where there is a wide divergence of opinion.

Agreed. Personally I hate scratch that loathe our offseason but I feel this team (if healthy) is pretty much a lock for 40-45 wins and a 6-8th seed.

Huh? But if he worked out for us - what does that mean? that he had some interest...riiiight!!!

Maybe not anymore.

For a guy like Oden who has not had a BIG payday since coming into the league and coming off his rookie deal - guaranteed money will be important to him. The Heat is limited in what they can offer money wise. When players are younger, they are more concerned about money and stats, as they get older the priorities shift to wanting to win championships.

The problem with being a middle of the road person. Is you really don't have much to dispute. You agree and disagree with both sides. Each year I feel the same way. I want an exciting , strong effort at winning the title. You could look at stats all day but at the end of the day if the heart is not there, the drive, the team work, the desire to win; if you don't have a healthy team you won't make it. But on the upside you could be a mediocor team on paper but you have the desire to win. You have the drive to play 48 min as a team night in and night out. You play exciting basketball, you are going to accomplish something. You will have my full support no matter how far you go in the post season.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

Fanatic isn't asking you to do anything but be accurate with whatever reports you raise to support your opinion, Noble. No need to be so defensive.

and the media reports are factual??? These ESPN, CBSSports, whatever know no more about what is going on than we do. Heck, I have a friend who works in a front office and he don't know half the time what is going to happen around the league.

I guess my point is we should be able to come on here and voice whatever opinion that we may have. There is certain posters who think they know all the NBA and if anything negative is said about the Hawks or Danny Ferry, they want to attack them.

Its a message board of opinions Squawkers, calm down.

I believe 100% that we will not be close to contention over the next 5 years, but I am still a fan of the Hawks and have been since 1978.

Edited by Vol4ever

• Moderators

and the media reports are factual??? These ESPN, CBSSports, whatever know no more about what is going on than we do. Heck, I have a friend who works in a front office and he don't know half the time what is going to happen around the league.

I guess my point is we should be able to come on here and voice whatever opinion that we may have. There is certain posters who think they know all the NBA and if anything negative is said about the Hawks or Danny Ferry, they want to attack them.

Its a message board of opinions Squawkers, calm down.

I believe 100% that we will not be close to contention over the next 5 years, but I am still a fan of the Hawks and have been since 1978.

The issue isn't being negative or offering an opinion. It is saying that there are media reports of X if that isn't the case. So if someone says, "I think X is going to happen" that isn't a problem. If someone says, "X is happening and reports confirm it" then it is a problem only if those reports don't exist.

Nobody is in trouble here or being slammed. All opinions are welcome and nobody's fandom is on the line here.

The message is simply to be clearer about the source.

• Premium Member

All calm here. But hold up... pray tell, what "opinion" is to be had in stating:

1. Oden said the only 2 teams he is considering is NO and MIA.

2. In fact, when it was reported about teams that had serious interest we were left off that list (only a few websites listed us).

3. He has never said he was seriously considering ATL at all.

And then, we learn that the poster stating these... dare I say, as facts (not opinions)... gleaned them from what amounts to a glorified blog of the Miami Heat, seemingly oblivious to that... and I certainly recognize that there are "reporters" who don't do much better... but that doesn't mean we think more highly of the SB Nation site... no, it only means we don't think much of that particular media insider.

There's nothing wrong with stating opinions. There's also not anything wrong with incorrectly ascribing credibility to a given site as-if it is a primary source... we all get some bad information from time to time.

So, look... #1 and #2 above are inaccurate... and #3, while technically correct, is misleading because it leads one to think that Oden has made any public statements at all about any team... which he hasn't, at least, to my knowledge.